What's new
Another Japan resident here, although I’m very new (just arrived in August). My wife is Japanese though so I’ll probably be here for the long run. I go to school in Sangenjaya near Shibuya, so I’m down to hit up some arcades with everyone.

Another Japan resident here, although I’m very new (just arrived in August). My wife is Japanese though so I’ll probably be here for the long run. I go to school in Sangenjaya near Shibuya, so I’m down to hit up some arcades with everyone.
Thanks, Mukurofish. To reciprocate, welcome to Japan! Perhaps in the new year i might take you up on an arcade visit; I'm sure there must be some sort of gaijin venue here where like-minded arcade connoisseurs can gather. I must say, to acquire a wife within five months of landfall is impressive. It took me seven years, a little energon and a lotta luck for me to get married to a Japanese lady (i suspect your seduction began beforehand though).

@Joe

We met in the states a few years ago. She was a bank worker in Japan for about seven years, but ditched it to come to the U.S. and learn practical English. I had the help of my Japanese roommate to break the ice. She had a boyfriend at the time, but my friend’s recon revealed that the guy sucked at life. It took a few months, but I won her over.

Last edited:
Welcome!

There are other fellows around here that also live in Japan. I'm sure you can hang out together :thumbup:

Welcome!

There are other fellows around here that also live in Japan. I'm sure you can hang out together :thumbup:
Welcome!
Thanks Darksoft. Indeed, i am open to meet fellow arcade otaku! It is a strange dynamic, sometimes hard to find fellow gamers in a city of 30 million people.

It is a strange dynamic, sometimes hard to find fellow gamers in a city of 30 million people.
I think barrier can be language, so if you spot a foreigner, just do the old style when you see him playing and say: Can I chime in?

I'm out on the east side, so only arcades I tend to hit up are in Akihabara. I do get out to Shibuya and a few other places on occasion. Usually food related ^^

@Joe

I found your new avatar.

Screenshot_20200130-125634__01.jpg

It is a strange dynamic, sometimes hard to find fellow gamers in a city of 30 million people.
I think barrier can be language, so if you spot a foreigner, just do the old style when you see him playing and say: Can I chime in?
I like your optimism. This may work for 50% of the population, but the story of my life is that any lady i have said hello to has told me in no uncertain terms there will be no chiming :)

I'm out on the east side, so only arcades I tend to hit up are in Akihabara. I do get out to Shibuya and a few other places on occasion. Usually food related ^^
Thanks SD. I might take you up on that in due course. Food and drink are never turned down! I notice you also solder and repair. This brings back haunting memories of two weekends ago when i attempted my first recap of a PCB (X-multiply). Across eight hours of frustration i managed to destroy two or three solder pads, replace five caps with questionable solder joints, and completely block one solder joint. I blame my tools, my tools blame me. Net result: one less PCB :)

agh, that sounds like an awful time ><

I'm more than happy to help with that stuff. Pm me if you need help.

My favorite arcade is Mikado near Shinjuku. This semester I have no free time thanks to my calculus and international trade classes, but I’ll be free my self imposed prison come mid-April.

Last edited:
@Joe

I found your new avatar.

Screenshot_20200130-125634__01.jpg
Thanks RG - i like it and would definitely like to consider i am this cool. In reality however i look more like a cross between E. Honda and Karnov (after going through a Fly-like teleportation pod).

I’m in Kanagawa, but go to school in Tokyo. My favorite arcade is Mikado near Shinjuku. This semester I have no free time thanks to my calculus and international trade classes, but I’ll be free my self imposed prison come mid-April.
This is increasingly starting to look like the beginning of a Tokyo arcade-lover meet up! Perhaps in April with a few of those on this forum. Drinks, food, and complex calculus flowing. Maybe Shibuya or Shinjuku. Thoughts?

Sounds good minus the calculus :p (seriously, that class is KILLING me).

The gathering has begun. How about 3 April in say, Shibuya or near Tokyo Station? Seems a while away, but given we are all social butterflies and out hobby makes us wildly popular and sought-after, this forward planning might allow the stars to align.

How about Saturday, April 18 at Mikado Game Center near Shinjuku? It's the best old-school arcade in the city. Lots of old shooters and fighting games. The ratio is about 2/3 games from 1999 and below to 1/3 newer. The second floor is almost all old Capcom and SNK fighters. There's a Taito Station within walking distance too if we want to go there later.

April 18 is the first day I'll be free from my school prison.

I could do morning when it opens at 10 before it gets filled with smoke. Maybe too early though for everyone.

Is it not difficult to talk during a meet up at an actual arcade? Can go to an arcade anytime, but to discuss with fellow otakus is a rarity, plus it requires beer and food! :) was envisioning a drinking party with a side order of retro arcade games

Back