What's new

bartre

Professional
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Raiden Fighters Jet cart and motherboard, but the motherboard is dead.
So ive swapped the cart to the another board.
Now I'm getting this screen-

https://i.imgur.com/9kJPDBZ.jpg

Does anyone know what this screen with 9921 means?

Looks like a version number to me. I'd say as the wiki post above suggests that it's showing you the installed game and version and you need to let it flash.

@twistedsymphony has a full set of these, he may know more?

First you need to make sure that the Mobo Region matches the Cart region, they MUST match. AFAIK there is no way to know what region they are unless you pull chips and dump them (easy to do on the cart, not easy to do on the mobo), so hopefully you know already.

assuming they match you need to go through a mobo reflashing process. which takes a good 15 minutes or so

if you've got the newer mobo style (that's about the same width as the cart) then it should flash automatically when you install a new cart. The older mobo style has 2 jumpers, and 1 needs to be changed to go into flash mode (The other jumper is for mono/stereo and I always forget which is which so I just swap both of them to be safe). Basically swap the jumpers with the power off, power up and wait for the count down to go from 999 to 000, then once it's done power off, swap the jumpers back and then power back on.

pic here: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/File:SPI-DipSwitchLocations.JPG

I believe installing a wrong-region cart, or installing a cart for a game that hasn't been flashed will result in a Check Sum Error.

If your mobo doesn't match then Trap15 made an excellent tool for reflashing the mobo for a different region: Seibu SPI region changer -SPI REVIVE-

the down side is you need a Raiden Fighters 1 or Raiden Fighters 2 cart to use the region changing ROMs.

Alternatively you can program new ROMs for the cart to change it's region to match the mobo.

In my collection I had an Australia Raiden Fighters, A Hong Kong Raiden Fighters 2, and a Japanese Sen Kyu. so I re-flashed all those mobos to USA region, then swapped the program ROMs on the carts to USA region as well. So everything in my collection (carts and mobos) are USA region except for E-Jan HighSchool which is JP only.

Last edited:
yeah, I had come across the flashing issue in my research.
Regardless of jumper changes at jp121 or jp072 the screen is the same.
At this point I'm thinking flash the roms?
My programmer is dead, but my phase 1 cart reads "usa" in the title screen. That means its USA right? It was called new version elsewhere I believe

yes. VP1 was released in Japan, Germany and Hong Kong only
then they released VP1 New Version to every region and in the USA it's called VP1 USA

another way to tell is all the us releases have a "Fabtech License", which doesn't appear in other regions.
USA mobos often will also have a silver AAMA sticker on them.

so chances are you have a USA Mobo.

if you want to check or change the region of a cart you need to swap all 4 program ROMs:

u0211, u0212, u0220, u0221

the rest of the ROMs are identical between regions.

it should go without saying but keep the original ROMs, don't over-write them.

that's a shame :(

if you want to make your own new labels I did make some replacements at one point. They should be 13mm x 13mm

Attachments

• seibu_1.jpg
    seibu_1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 465
  • seibu_2.jpg
    seibu_2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 493
  • seibu_3.jpg
    seibu_3.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 495
  • seibu_4.jpg
    seibu_4.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 466
  • seibu_5.jpg
    seibu_5.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 475
  • seibu_6.jpg
    seibu_6.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 451
Thanks for your help guys.
I've got my new programmer now, where can I get the right rom files for burning?
I've pulled up the USA rom for Raiden Fighters Jet, but it's only got s U1053 and U0211 file.

per the above, i need u0211, u0212, u0220, u0221, correct?
do I need to pull these from the parent rom or do i just have a bad rom file?

look in the MAME driver, there will be a "parent" game with all of the ROM files, then there are "Clone" games which will borrow all of the files from the parent except those files that are different. It's a mechanism to save space.

figure out what the parent game is and then open that file. Check the CRC listed for each ROM file in the game to determine which files are different (same CRC = same file)

the mame driver is here:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/seibuspi.cpp

scroll all the way to the bottom to see every game that uses the SPI driver.

you'll see the year, the MAME short name for the game, and then the MAME short name for the Parent game.

scroll up a little bit and you'll see the ROM definitions which will list out each file that a given game uses, how those files are mapped out on the hardware and the CRC for those games.

Thanks!
so looking at that document, if I want to burn the files necessary for the USA cart, I use the Germany cart as the parent, then swap out the files from the USA rom (just the u02011 file, leaving the other 3 from the Germany parent rom)

Code:
ROM_START( rfjetu ) /* SPI Cart, US */
	ROM_REGION32_LE( 0x200000, "maincpu", 0 ) /* i386 program */
	ROM_LOAD32_BYTE("prg0u.u0211", 0x000000, 0x80000, CRC(15ac2040) SHA1(7309a9dd9c91fef0e761dcf8639f421ce7abc97f) )
	ROM_LOAD32_BYTE("prg1.u0212",  0x000001, 0x80000, CRC(395e6da7) SHA1(736f777cb1b6bf5541832b8ea89594738ca6d829) )
	ROM_LOAD32_BYTE("prg2.u0221",  0x000002, 0x80000, CRC(82f7a57e) SHA1(5300015e25d5f2f82eda3ed54bc105d645518498) )
	ROM_LOAD32_BYTE("prg3.u0220",  0x000003, 0x80000, CRC(cbdf100d) SHA1(c9efd11103429f7f36c1652cadb5384d925cb767) )
I'm basing this thought off of this block of code.
I also checked the Hex CRC for the 4 files from the germany rom and 3 matched, used the PRG0u.u0211 from the USA rom and we now have 4 matching roms.

Finally, when it comes to the actual writing of the file, there are no special settings, correct? just a standard binary write?

Okay, so I've gone through and dumped all the roms off the cart and I found that this is a Japan region cart already.
verified all the roms vs the crcs listed on thegithub page
so that's telling me the issue is indeed cart region vs mobo region.
of course, my rom eraser is also dead -_-

so In the meantime, I looked into the motherboard I got with this cart.
There was a chip taped to the board, and comparing it to a board I peeped on Ebay I see where it should go.
but before I Yolo that thing on there, I'd like to ask what it is.
I have board version SXX2c-MAIN V2.0; what does the chip at U0239 do? what is its relevance if it's missing or broken?
I'm also going to inquire about sourcing a JP region motherboard.

so I've reflashed the roms to USA because I got impatient, programmed the motherboard.
game loaded as it should, but has graphical errors.
looking at the cart, it also points to a chip being bad, what is the chip?
It reads
C982981
Raiden-Fjet
OBJ
Seibu 1998
1P0308y1

https://imgur.com/a/NucmT6j

Looking at the mame site linked above, I think it's a MX23C6410 (SOP44 MaskROM)
I think I need to replace it with a new chip programmed with the OBJ-1.U0442 file from the universal (parent) rom
Is this correct?

Last edited:
The "OBJ" surface-mounted ROMs are the graphics ROMs, these are read directly off of the cart and aren't part of what gets programmed to the mobo (I think just the program and sound gets flashed to the mobo during the install process).

I've had problems with these on a few carts where they had bad solder joints but yours looks like it has a burn mark ;(

that's bad news as there isn't a drop-in replacement for those AFAIK.

you'd have to get something like a MX26L6420MC and then lift the power pin and install a 3.3V voltage converter, which makes for a messy install.

Thanks man, I have no problem with a slight mess as long as I get her going again.
looking at the datasheets for MX23C6410 and MX26L6420MC, I do see a couple differences, namely Pins 31, 13/32, and 33.
Additionally, one datasheet lists the Data I/O pins as different letters.
I am looking at these from different sources, so I'd just like to make sure these will work.

Second, how would you recommend dropping the voltage? using a small regulator to drive the +5v off the cart board to the +3.3v required by the chip, or just doing the math to add resistors?

second, I did find this-
https://www.kynix.com/Detail/1215362/MX23C6410MC-10G.html
Would this be a drop in?

Last edited:
thanks!
So right now my plan is to buy these-

50 pcs AMS1117 3.3V 1A Voltage Regulator AMS1117-3.3V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00898P4T2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_goNfEbQM4XB0X

And this-

http://www.buyicnow.com/it.php?i=169

(Id P00000939) and have them program it with OBJ-1.U0442
Remove the old chip, drop in the new one exactly as is excepting a lifted pin 23.
Connect the pad to the regulators input and the regulators output to the new chip.

Does that plan make sense or should I look at things from another angle?

Back