What's new
yeah.. Having a working board for reference helped me a lot. And the alligator clip advice on how to probe is great. Thanks!

Now I just have to not suck at desoldering. <X

yeah.. Having a working board for reference helped me a lot. And the alligator clip advice on how to probe is great. Thanks!

Now I just have to not suck at desoldering. <X
I love the gator clamp on probe. It makes working 10x easier having both hands free for the second probe

Great people of the forum, a quick update - this board is now 100% working!!

After ya'll helped me undo my short to ground issue I was able to get back to trying to solve the remaining issues (not caused by me). I read a bunch of repair logs, looked through the MAME source code and eventually was able to fix it... though I got lucky on the sprite issue.

Here are the issues I fixed:

Issue: random sound effects were still missing after doing full shotgun recap and installing a working HA13001
Solution: using logic probe and cross-ref the schematics found that pin 23 was stuck low on YM-2203 at 14E while the sister chip at 13E showed constant activity. Decided to make an audio probe based on inspiration in this great video by 8-bit Manshed to prove my theory. The ghetto fabulous audio probe is really handy! Anyway, socketed and replaced the chip at 14E and boom - Sound restored completely!

Issue: screen orientation was wrong
Solution: for some god unknown reason, the DIP switches were all destroyed. Like someone had purposely broke them off (it was the 80s so I assume cocaine was involved). Installed new dip switches and set them accordingly to fix orientation and other defaults.

Issue: Character sprites were screwy
Solution: With the sprite issue I had multiple pages of schematics to try and digest and I must have probed half the chips on the graphic board related to sprites ROM/RAM and they all "seemed" ok. Worse still the board has a ton of Fujitsu chips which my understanding is they are all shit from this era. After putting the board away for a spell, I pulled it out again this weekend and I had never thought before to look at the jumper wire. My working board has the same exact jumper wire so I assumed it was a factory mod. The solder had broken loose on the chip at 14M!!! A drop of solder on the jumper wire restored the sprites! I guess it was causing issues feeding into the line buffer (right? ?( ). Does anyone else have that jumper wire on their board? I have it on both of mine so I can't imagine that was a coincidence repair done in the field was it?

Thanks again guys for the advice to help get me back on track. Very happy I was able to get this sexy beast back in action.

Attachments

• ghetto_fab.jpg
    ghetto_fab.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 86
  • gng_issue.jpg
    gng_issue.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 96
  • gng_sprite.jpg
    gng_sprite.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 94
Back