What's new

XeD

Grand Master
Reaction score
Is the charging circuit the same throughout all pgm revision? I like to put the battery back in my motherboard. I followed the battery mod but, I can't seem to hold high score for more then a month. I have a spare li-on I like to use If I have to use a nicad I can pick one up

AFAIK the charging circuit is one of the major changes throughout the revisions.

its one of the reason people prefer the later revisions.

I replaced my battery around 2010. It's about time I do the coin cell mod.

REV 14 is the ONLY factory built Coin Cell version motherboard....

You can add a coin cell or larger non recharagable battery if you add a barrier diode with it.... Its how i do the battery mod on the PGM motherboards i sell.

But yes.. the battery backup circuit does change alot through the different revisions..... I have picture on my site of all the revisions if you want to check them out....

T.

@GC8TECH do you have a tutorial on the battery mod? All the one I have seen just remove a diode and resistor. Where do you add the diode?

Do you know which revision MotherBoard you have??

I do have a video showing how to find revision numbers.

Once i know that i'll do up a picture on the battery mod.... I don't have a video on it just yet......

T.

I have a 14 and a 12 at home. I think I have a 8 and or 6 at the arcade.

OK.. the 14 is factory coin cell.... so no mods needed...

12 should just add a diode. Same as rev 8.

Rev 6 i hope you have removed the battery.... There isn't many that haven't got bad battery damage....

I'll try to do a few drawings for the 12 and 8.

T.

cool thanks. Yeah my 6? Has crazy battery damage. I put it in my ultrasonic cleaner and had to replace a few parts
mmexport1577092175027.jpg

Attachments

• mmexport1577092170228.jpg
    mmexport1577092170228.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 234
Anything PRE Ver 8 Motherboards are usually junk cos of the battery..... BUT i have fixed heaps of them... as long as the damage isn't tooo bad. Some saddy are bin jobs!! :(
It was another reason i started my you tube channel.. to help people re-paire them as well...

I'm hoping this year coming i will do heaps to my web site and make better youtube videos etc....

I want to have the best and most complete PGM related web site..... I have got many plans :)

T.

Just a quick picture. This will suite the rev 12 and rev 8 PGM Motherboards.

I find a Surface Mount Schotkey Diode works best.....

T.

battery mod.jpg

I was wondering, is there a good "generic" replacement for the battery+charging circuit? I think some pinball owners are replacing the battery backed SRAM with MRAM to keep the score, though you'll loose RTC functionality. Is there some circuit that takes modern memory cells and implements the trickle charging when the device is on, and battery backup when the device is off?

I was wondering, is there a good "generic" replacement for the battery+charging circuit? I think some pinball owners are replacing the battery backed SRAM with MRAM to keep the score, though you'll loose RTC functionality. Is there some circuit that takes modern memory cells and implements the trickle charging when the device is on, and battery backup when the device is off?
You could use FRAM ?? But i think the CS line has to be changed.. so its probibly not a direct swap. You could use a "Super Cap". I have seen some around the 10F range....

There are many options.....

T.

Quick question about the revision 14 coin cell and charging circuit. I now have a revision 14 pcb which had a CR2016 coin cell fitted.
Previously I've done the battery mod on older revision PGM boards, removed a diode to disable the charging circuit and fitted a CR2032 coin cell.

So on revision 14.. is this supposed to be a rechargeable coin cell in the holder, or a non-rechargeable CR2032? :huh:

Perfect! Thanks! Definitely better to check rather than see a coin cell poo itself live during gameplay :thumbsup:

You actually have to remove a resistor.. Not the diode to stop charging :) Otherwise the SRAM won't be powered all the time to save data.

Um.. maybe it was a resistor yeah, it's been a while since I modded the earlier PGM board types!
The main query was that I didn't need to do anything similar to get a CR2032 safely into a rev. 14 pcb ^^

YES.. i wasn't trying to be a pain, Just make sure its cool.

Yes REV 14 are normal coin cells. Its THE ONLY REV to have a factory coin cell. :)

Back