What's new
MORTGAGEBOYZ.jpg

Sweet! I pulled the trigger on a full setup all the cables and one of the game controllers since I have nothing right now. always nice to see another positive review. Now just waiting to get a reply to my PM to get things rolling. :)

Mind if I ask what the second picture is of since i am so new to this hobby?

Thanks,
VWI
That is an eXa Arcadia - it's a brand new arcade hardware platform released last year
Nice how is it do you like it?
The system is still in its infancy (only 6 games are available on the system so far with 17 other games in the pipeline) so we'll have to see on the long run but I like it very much. Aka & Blue Type-R is a wonderful shooter. Yet, it plays better on a vertical screen as the play area is too small in horizontal (except if you have a huge screen). Beside Aka & Blue Type-R, all other games currently available are arcade ports of Steam games or re-releases of older titles. We already know that future Cave games will be released on that platform. exA-Arcadia is best used in a HD cabinet but can output a 4:3 picture in 640x480 so you can use it in a Naomi/Net City cabinet. Problem is that video output is digital only via a DVI-D port, so you have to use a DAC to use it with analog monitors. The other great feature is that 4-player games require one system only (you have to daisy chain 2 I/O with 2 players per I/O).
Being an offline system, it's the way to get the latest Japanese arcade titles at the same time as Japan (which became impossible with the advent of NESiCAxLive and ALL.Net P-ras MULTI).

The only grief I have is the price. The price is good for Japan as games like Aka & Blue Type-R are earning very well there. But for the West, joystick games are not earning well there, so it's a bit overpriced for Western operators and of course for collectors. That's why I only own two games.

The lack of online update is also a bummer for a modern system, you have to send the cartridge to your local distributor to have it updated. Fortunately, the games are quite bug free when they are released.

This said I'm very happy that we see more new joystick arcade games thanks to this system, major manufacturers focusing on racing and lightgun shooting games (and music games in Asia). It's good to have some variety!

We already know that future Cave games will be released on that platform
Do we? exA licensed Saidaioujou from Cave and are reworking it on their own. I'm sure if Saidaoujou is a hit, they'll license more of the Cave back catalogue, but I think there's a distinction to be made.

Cave hasn't made an arcade game of their own in eight years. Tanoshimasu was actually founded by three ex-Cave employees.

We already know that future Cave games will be released on that platform
Do we? exA licensed Saidaioujou from Cave and are reworking it on their own. I'm sure if Saidaoujou is a hit, they'll license more of the Cave back catalogue, but I think there's a distinction to be made.

Cave hasn't made an arcade game of their own in eight years. Tanoshimasu was actually founded by three ex-Cave employees.
Indeed but I heard there's a will from Cave developers to make new arcade games. It's currently not interesting financially so they focus on mobile games and licensing. But if Saidaioujou EXA is a hit, it very well might be the needed incentive to make them develop new arcade titles.

I believe trap15 who did the Ketsui arrange mode, and other hacks/games, is involved with the SDOJ remix. So yeah, think of it as licensed IP in good hands.

All I can really say is don’t be surprised when a new CAVE title is released on exA.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's another rework and not new IP. Maybe Akai Katana or Deathsmiles II since both of those already have HD assets?

Starting with orders #17 and going we have updated 2 chips inside the CBOX.

we have updated these chips. This allows you to press the layout button for 3 seconds and enter custom mode. then you press buttons 1-6 in the order you want for a custom button layout , then press layout button to exit.

lets call it JVS/JAMMA CBOX v2.1

Attachments

• a564832b848ccc0ae1260cc4f598f72.jpg
    a564832b848ccc0ae1260cc4f598f72.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 115
  • b735a880a80d6a3190b9343e284d1e2.jpg
    b735a880a80d6a3190b9343e284d1e2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 122
Great news! As always with re-mapping options, I strongly urge you to include the "start" button as well. Some games use it as an action button, so being able to remap it as well is needed.

What else is planned out? I want to get one since this thing looks to be built like a tank. My roommate broke my minigun and I'm on the lookout for another supergun

Reactions: VWI
With the remapping, does it stay saved after you power off? Can more than one button be assigned to the same action?

That is, could I have P1/K1 action as button 1, P2/K2 button 2, and P3/K3 as button 3?

Any chance of adding turbo functionality as well?

V2.2 - sigma controller changed to USB...that would make the supergun Ultra Supergun Arcade Edition:)

remapping does NOT save after power down.
This function required a different chip and pcb design.
USB will be added in the future but it will be A NEW machine with new design.

That is, could I have P1/K1 action as button 1, P2/K2 button 2, and P3/K3 as button 3?
NO sorry

and yes we are looking into turbo due to shooters etc...

All that sounds pretty good! I'd probably be in for another after some revisions are made, I was honestly debating getting more than one initially. I'll keep following and see how it goes :)

Reactions: VWI
Isnt the "continous" switches for autofire. How is that different than "turbo"?

USB option sounds excellent. Product already looks great but I probably won't be able to resist once that version is available. Really looking forward to eliminating the JAMMA component altogether from my JVS setups.

A quick question re: TTX2 support...are 6 buttons mapped to the controller interface? That's a problem I'm looking to fix or avoid altogether with the I/O boards I've tried for this system.

Back