What's new

SpiritSaiyan

Student
Reaction score
Hi, new here. I recently picked up a Tekken 5 cab that works fine (just needs aesthetic work) with the intention of converting it into a Soul Calibur II cabinet.

I swapped out the T5 disc and dongle for SC2's disc and 2 dongles, and made sure to swap the jumper pins on the board to get into 246+ mode. When turning on the cab, the monitor comes on but stays black. No sound at all. LEDs on the 256 are on as well as the IO board. Disc drive activity light comes blinks for a few seconds, then I hear the drive spin, then both stop. Nothing else from that point on.

To make sure I didn't do something wrong, I did everything in reverse and Tekken 5 still boots normal. Is it possible that the drive isn't compatible? I saw Soul Calibur II working fine from the guy I got it from, although the disc is scratched some.

SCII should run on all original 2X6 drives.

I tried the pencil eraser method to clean the dongle and it started working, thanks for the replies. Fault finding on these things are finicky.

Does the unit beep when first turned on. If so the dongle was accepted.

I had a badly scratched soul calibur II disc i had to have the disc cleaned to get it to read again.

What version of the disc are you using?

There was originally no sound at all, but I got it working by cleaning the dongle. The disc is Revision D.

I've let the game run in attract mode for a few hours at a time and notice that it always freezes around 30 minutes into it on the loading screen between 2 fighters. I'll chalk that up to the disc being scratched, so I'll just burn a new disc and see how that goes. I assume a generic DVD-R would work fine?

Been awhile but I got around to burning a new disc and haven't been able to get it to work. I'm using Sony DVD-Rs and tried different software to burn (IMGBurn and Windows) as well as different burn speeds (lowest I can go is 3x, highest I've went is 8x). The rom I'm using comes from the Rollup pack thread. All discs appear to have identical files to the original, so I'm not sure what I'm screwing up.

Subbing back in the original disc allows the system 256 to boot so I'm fairly certain it isn't the dongle.

Edit: I've taken out the drive and hooked it up to my PC, and its reading the burned discs just fine there. IMGBurn gives almost identical info for both burned discs and the original too. Baffled.

Edit 2: Powering the drive separately still allows the game to boot with the original disc, but not with the burned discs. With the burned discs, I'll hear 6-7 beeps but then nothing further. No video or audio after 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I've made some progress. Using the multi-dongle and a burned Soul Calibur 3 disc I've managed to get the 256 to sort of boot. It just hangs on "start program .." and doesn't register any buttons or dip switches.

Do you know where on the board the 246 mode jumper is? I can't find it

Do you know where on the board the 246 mode jumper is? I can't find it
you have to take the metal lid off of the case, then it's on the edge of the PCB below the DVD drive, the same edge as the ribon cable connector.

Switching the mode involves a switch on the actual board. It's on the right side on the pcb iirc and it's labelled.

Switching the mode involves a switch on the actual board. It's on the right side on the pcb iirc and it's labelled.
Isee the black part with the pins sticking out with the 256/246+ mode lettering to the right. I don't see a switch to flip though.

I dont see that. This is what I see:

SP6Ffhs

https://ibb.co/SP6Ffhs

Your jumper is on 246+ mode currently. If you move it to cover the middle and left pins it’s 256

umm unless it's been taken off it should be there. From memory it'll look something like this.
it's not a switch, and it looks nothing like that.

it's a 3 pin header with a 2-pin jumper just like what @CharGP02A has in their photo.

You could replace the pin headers with a switch though. Who knows, maybe someone did that with plasia's motherboard.

The good news is that I was able to find the header and switch the black top to the right.

The bad news is that I can't get a video signal. I can get a video signal if I switch back to 256 and play Gundam vs Gundam NEXT. I can also use a different TV with the 256 mode. It's just that the 246 mode isn't generating one.

SCII dongle in slot 1 and memory card in slot 2. Solid yellow light on the jamma board. Solid red light in the jamma power source. Those seem to indicate that I should be ok, I think.

Back