What's new

Someone Else

Student
Reaction score
So I finally got a TTX2 and a multi drive running in my Vewlix F.

The problem is basically that I can’t play the games because I can’t add credits or reach a service menu to enable free play.

The coin mech seems to just not be powered from what I can tell. Flipping the switch with the thin lever does nothing. The mech does have a terminal that seems disconnected, but I have no idea what it would attach to. Not the cabinet wiring, apparently. (The green wire ends in a grounding screw terminal.)

p0s4cTt.jpg

The JVS I/O seems populated by every available connection in the cabinet, although there seems to be nothing to connect to the I/O’s Z, P2, or USB-A port.

Additionally, there seems to be nothing to connect to the cabinet loom’s M or N connectors. The TypeX2 unit itself only has the power cable, video cable and I/O USB cable connected.

The test and service switches seem to do nothing during a game or while it’s booting, although turning off the multi-drive’s “memory patch” option seems to make the service button trigger an “I/O Error”.

Does anyone know what could be wrong and how to either turn on the coin mech or get to the game service menus and enable free play?

Thanks for any info on making this stuff work.

turning off the multi-drive’s “memory patch” option seems to make the service button trigger an “I/O Error”.
Send me a PM with what game this is happening on please.

As for your coin/service issue.

The coin mech looks like its connected correctly, make sure the 60pin harness is fully seated and secured to the I/O board. What I/O board are you running?

turning off the multi-drive’s “memory patch” option seems to make the service button trigger an “I/O Error”.
Send me a PM with what game this is happening on please.
As for your coin/service issue.

The coin mech looks like its connected correctly, make sure the 60pin harness is fully seated and secured to the I/O board. What I/O board are you running?
The I/O board is the latest official Taito JVS board, which finally arrived not long ago.

Here’s an album with how everything is connected to the I/O, the TTX2 and the test/service panel:
https://imgur.com/a/TY8pDzd

Dip switch 2 is the only one in the “on” position.

It’s pretty much every game I’ve tried that does nothing when the red or yellow test/service buttons are pressed. I think it’s most or all of them that give an I/O error when service is pressed while the game loads. I will DM you about a couple of specific games I tried, though.

Edit: Maybe it’s worth noting that the cabinet PSU is unplugged since I don’t think the coin mech or service buttons are supposed to need it. I’ll add an image of that to the album just in case.

Last edited:
I/O error when service is pressed while the game loads.
Like you're holding the service button down while the game starts up?
Do you have another JVS system you can use to test the coin, test, and service switches with?

It sounds like a wiring issue. You might try re-seating the 60pin connector on the I/O board.
Yes, holding it while the game starts since nothing happens when pressing either button in game. Are the test/service switches affected by any of the multi-game options like memory patches or game exit?

I tried carefully disengaging the side-locks then seating the black connector as evenly and snugly as possible, until the side-locks went all the way in, just like you would with RAM. I then pressed firmly down in on several parts of the sides and middle with no improvement. It’s a very puzzling problem that totally prevents playing the games.

Edit: I only have one Vewlix I/O board, since they’re difficult for me to find, but it’s brand new and directly from Taito. Maybe it’s a dud, but I hope not.

Last edited:
Like you're holding the service button down while the game starts up?Do you have another JVS system you can use to test the coin, test, and service switches with?

It sounds like a wiring issue. You might try re-seating the 60pin connector on the I/O board.
Yes, holding it while the game starts since nothing happens when pressing either button in game. Are the test/service switches affected by any of the multi-game options like memory patches or game exit?
I tried carefully disengaging the side-locks then seating the black connector as evenly and snugly as possible, until the side-locks went all the way in, just like you would with RAM. I then pressed firmly down in on several parts of the sides and middle with no improvement. It’s a very puzzling problem that totally prevents playing the games.

Edit: I only have one Vewlix I/O board, since they’re difficult for me to find, but it’s brand new and directly from Taito. Maybe it’s a dud, but I hope not.
Ok, you should never hold the button down. Though this behavior ( the game reporting I/O error ), while holding the service button suggest the button is working.

So if you boot a game like Battle Fantasia, and then momentary press the Test button. Nothing happens?

Like you're holding the service button down while the game starts up?Do you have another JVS system you can use to test the coin, test, and service switches with?
Yes, holding it while the game starts since nothing happens when pressing either button in game. Are the test/service switches affected by any of the multi-game options like memory patches or game exit?I tried carefully disengaging the side-locks then seating the black connector as evenly and snugly as possible, until the side-locks went all the way in, just like you would with RAM. I then pressed firmly down in on several parts of the sides and middle with no improvement. It’s a very puzzling problem that totally prevents playing the games.

Ok, you should never hold the button down. Though this behavior ( the game reporting I/O error ), while holding the service button suggest the button is working.
So if you boot a game like Battle Fantasia, and then momentary press the Test button. Nothing happens?
Exactly. Nothing happens when I tap the button when it’s loading or in game. Tapping “SERVICE SWITCH” triggers “I/O ERROR”.

https://i.imgur.com/RtbSxtc.jpg

I have no idea, I assume you dont have any other JVS arcade boards to test with? Something like a Naomi or System 2x6?

I have no idea, I assume you dont have any other JVS arcade boards to test with? Something like a Naomi or System 2x6?
I have Sega JVS I/O boards, (acquired before I knew they weren’t compatible with the cabinet) but I don’t know if they’re safe to plug in through the cab’s wiring.

I have Sega JVS I/O boards, (acquired before I knew they weren’t compatible with the cabinet) but I don’t know if they’re safe to plug in through the cab’s wiring.
I was referring to another JVS arcade board to test with like a Naomi or System 2x6, or anything that is JVS and is not your current X2.

The Sega Type3 I/O can be use in a Vewlix ( thats what I run in mine ), but you will need an adapter board sold on here from @Arthrimus

I was referring to another JVS arcade board to test with like a Naomi or System 2x6, or anything that is JVS and is not your current X2.
The Sega Type3 I/O can be use in a Vewlix ( thats what I run in mine ), but you will need an adapter board sold on here from @Arthrimus
That adapter’s not within reach at the moment, but after checking the manual I noticed one thing. The board that coins/test/service are plugged into has an unplugged red connector (P7) that doesn’t seem to go to anything. Could that be related?

Zyx1vpM.jpg

Last edited:
I finally figured out what the issue was with the coin mech, and it was something just as stupid as I suspected. I was actually thankful nothing seemed to get damaged. If it was me who connected that part, it would be surprising if I didn’t notice something that obvious, so I think it may have shipped that way.

CGv9pLS.jpg

BVcHb6E.jpg

Back