What's new

xodaraP

Legendary
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Now that the S16 multi kit is due to start shipping soon, I have asked the team to share some details on the initial setup!

Congratulations on your purchase of the System 16 Multi! Now that you have your kit, or even if you haven't yet received it, where do you go from here?

Before we begin:

- This guide assumes that the S16 motherboard you are using is currently fully working with non encrypted CPUs
- No information on modifications to your motherboard aside from installation of the reset wire is or will be included
- Windows OS will be required to run the ROM conversion tool

You will need:

- S16 Multi ROM board
- S16 Motherboard with non encrypted 68000 and Z80 installed
- EPROM Programmer compatible with 27C322 and 27C080/801
- 14x 27C322 and 1x 27C801 EPROMs (if you did not purchase these with your kit)

Optional:

- S16 Multi Rotary Selector
- Temperature controlled soldering iron (for installing reset wire)

Programming EPROMs:

ROMs are not supplied and will need to be burnt to EPROMs and installed onto the kit. These are the MAME files that will need to be located, for almost all games there is a decrypted set and a parent set. The decrypted sets include the main program code only and will not function without the parent set for each game.

Any decrypted set for the game can be used, but the sets below have been tested:

Decrypted:

Aurail - aurail1d
Bayroute - bayrouted
Cotton - cottond
Dynamite Dux - dduxd
E-Swat - eswatj1d
Golden Axe - goldnaxe3d
M.V.P - mvpjd
Wrestle War - wrestwa2d
Excite League - exctleagd
Passing Shot - passshtd
Super League - suprleagd
Sukeban Jansi Ryoku - sjryukod
Ace Attacker - aceattacd
Shinobi - shinobi2d
Sonic Boom - sonicbomd
Wonder Boy 3 - wb32d
Alien Syndrome - aliensyn
Bullet - bulletd
Dunk Shot - dunkshotd
S.D.I - sdibl
Time Scanner - timescan
Flash Point - fpointd
Tough Turf - tturfu_no_mcu
Action Fighter - afightere
Riot City - riotcity
Altered Beast - altbeast2
Heavyweight Champ - hwchamp
Toryumon - toryumon
Ryu Kyu - ryukyud
Tetris - tetris2d

Parent:

Aurail - aurail
Bay Route - bayroute
Dynamite Dux - ddux
E-Swat - eswatj1
Golden Axe - goldnaxe3
M.V.P - mvpj
Wrestle War - wrestwar
Excite League - exctleag
Passing Shot - passsht
Super League - suprleag
Sukeban Jansi Ryoku - sjryuko
Ace Attacker - aceattac
Shinobi - shinobi2
Sonic Boom - sonicbom
Wonder Boy 3 - wb32
Bullet - bullet
Dunk Shot - dunkshot
Flash Point - fpoint
Tough Turf - tturfu
Ryu Kyu - ryukyu
Tetris - tetris2

Other:

Fantasy Zone Time Attack - fantzone_s16b
Bloxeed - bloxeed_s16b

All ROM files will need to be extracted to a directory with the same name. When extracting each ZIP file (for example with 7zip) click the

<Information and photo to be added here>

Once all zip files have been extracted you will now have each game in a folder with the same name as the ZIP file, and the ZIP files can now be deleted or removed.

<Photo to be added here>

Copy the ROM conversion tool to this folder and run the tool.

You will now have 15 files which should be the following file sizes:

01-13 and 15 - 4mb each
14 - 1mb

<Photo to be added here>

If the final files you have are not the correct size, the tool has not been able to operate correctly. This usually means that incorrect or missing ROM files have been supplied.

Once you have the correct files available, burn these to EPROMs

01-13 and 15 - 27C322
14 - 27C080/801

The EPROMs can now be installed into the correct positions on the multi kit ROM board.

<Photo to be added here>

Optional: Rotary Selector Installation

<Information to be supplied here once available>

Optional: Reset wire installation:

If you are using a selector, the reset wire can be installed. This needs to be connected to the reset wire position on the selector board

oneleaf86 S16 Selector
<Photo to be added here>

oneleaf86 Deluxe Selector
<Photo to be added here>

Frank_fjs OLED Selector
<Photo to be added here>

And soldered to Pin 8 of the 3771 Power Management IC at position A1 (bottom right of the board)

IMG_4570.jpg

Here are some examples of other locations the reset line is connected to if you prefer to use one of these for better wire routing or another reason:

- Pin 4 of LS74 @ C1
- Pin 9 of 8751 @ B2
- Pin 1 of LS273 @ C17
- Pin 26 of Z80B @ D15
- Pin A12 of CN5

Last edited:
Now that your kit is installed, you will want to play some games!

There are 5 DIP switches and these will need to be set in a specific combination for each game.

The numbers below are DIP switch 1-5

0 - Off
1 - On

DIP Switch Settings:

Excite League - 00000

Passing Shot - 10000

Super League - 01000

Sukeban Jansi Ryuko - 11000

Ace Attacker - 00100

Shinobi - 10100

Sonic Boom - 01100

Wonderboy III - 11100

Alien Syndrome - 00010

Bullet - 10010

Dunk Shot - 01010

SDI - 11010

Time Scanner - 00110

Flash Point - 10110

Tough Turf - 01110

Action Fighter - 11110

Aurail - 00001

Bay Route - 10001

Cotton - 01001

Dynamite Dux - 11001

E-Swat - 00101

Golden Axe - 10101

M.V.P - 01101

Wrestle War - 11101

Riot City - 00011

Altered Beast - 10011

Heavyweight Champ - 01011

Toryumon - 11011

Fantasy Zone Time Attack - 00111

Ryu Kyu - 10111

Tetris - 01111

Bloxeed - 11111

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this up.

Question: is the manual setting of the dip switches unnecessary if you got the Rotary Selector?

Looks like a solid guide bud, nice work. Now to get one of those rotary selectors... :)
The guide will be updated with more information as required like the CPS2 guides - and photos once I have the kit. I'll update it soon with the rotary selector details

@oneleaf86 has been kind enough to make the files and parts list freely available as @AlxUnderBase linked above. So you can make your own now :)

Having received the S16 multi I have some preliminary information to share regarding those wishing to utilize a rotary games selector switch.

The multi has been designed to tie the dipswitch header pins high whereas it was assumed they would be tied low. This doesn't affect main functionality of using the rotary switch to cycle through games nor does it affect use of the bank switch. It will also not cause any damage. Everything in this regard will perform as expected.

What it does affect is use of the reset switch. As is stands the current rotary selector will not work regarding the reset button. There are four possible solutions to this problem:

1. Disregard the reset button and hard power cycle to change games (which is the default operation of the S16 multi sans some form of external games selection device).
  2. Wire in a reset switch independent of the rotary selection device.
  3. Wait for @oneleaf86 to release a new fixed design. He will look after existing customers as much as is feasibly possible. Mistakes happen and it's an amazing feat to have released the design and have it working 90% long before the multi was made publicly available.
  4. Mod your existing rotary selector to apply a fix for the reset button (details below).
Cut the trace indicated by the red line in the picture below. This is looking top down onto the PCB where the components are soldered. There's no nearby traces so assuming you're careful this is fairly straight forward and risk free.

Run a wire patch as indicated by the blue line in the picture below. Do this on the underside of the PCB.

remote_cut.png

On the connecting PCB, solder a wire as indicated by the blue circle below. The opposing end of this wire needs to be attached to any ground point of your choosing from the S16 main motherboard. Tip: CN5 is a male IDC header with a few ground pins, easy to insert a DuPont styled jumper cable here to save you some soldering.

adapter_gnd.png

Here are some pictures of the implemented fix courtesy of @djsheep:

export1581160837760.jpg

IMG_20200208_215422.jpg

Done! This will restore reset functionality.

Another simple fix that needs to be performed is to re-orientate the reset header pin of the connecting PCB. It faces downwards and prevents insertion of the connecting PCB with a wire connected due to not having enough clearance. You could simply heat the pin with a soldering iron and using tweezers or pliers, rotate it to the side or upwards. What I ended up doing is to de-solder the angled pin and replace with a straight pin. See the picture below which also illustrates correct orientation of the connecting PCB. The SEGA logo faces the jamma edge.
adapter_pin.jpg

There are a few places one can tap the reset line from. My favourite is the via nearest RA12. Suck the solder out of the via and solder in a standard header pin. The picture below shows an angled pin however I have found that a straight pin works equally as well.

reset.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot wait to get this one day. I want so many multis, but piece of crap AU$ makes it very hard. Everything is so expensive that it makes it a hard decision. I could buy 3 or 4 CPS-II games for the price of the CPS-II multi. Well, maybe less now that the yen has plummeted as well ;(

The S16 and S24 multis are a lot cheaper though. I discovered after finally testing my S24 Bonanza Bros. that it is NOT actually BB and is one of those crappy marhjong games. I also discovered major damage on the board that has been repaied by lifting some of one of the custom's pins and patching it to the board. But the picture was way off, missing colour and bad lines all over the screen. A fine waste of AU$310.

Hey @oneleaf86, put me down for one of the deluxe selectors please.

Also, those with the existing switch, the mod to make it work is super easy...

It's also a fun and easy way for novice's to gain some simple skills (cutting a trace, installing patch wires and testing continuity with a multimeter).

Back