What's new

BlinG

Grand Master
Reaction score
So I was just playing Alpha 3 for about a good couple of hours then the screen just went blank. I powered it off and back on again and the screen is still blank. Put my hand on the screen and felt no static at all. Go to the back and notice that I DO have neck glow.

I am kind of wondering where to start with troubleshooting, since usually when this happens...I don't get any type of neck glow.

EDIT:

Rather than creating another thread I decided to update the original.

So a little update...I have another 2930 that has an issue when the monitor is first turned on. I get a wavy picture. Then after about 5 minutes the monitor stabilizes and it looks great. Any ideas on where to look first?

Before warm up:

ZFZS8Ij.jpg

After warm up:

AAfHPC1.jpg

Last edited:
So she is not going into shutdown mode correct?

Turn Screen adjust way up on flybacks.... no raster? aka no line

OK probe H DY....HV wave? make sure you meter can handle those temporary spikes

OK PRobe V DY... Lv wave?

If yes you are potentially looking at bad flyhback

No I can hear the chassis power up with that CRT whine so there is no HV shutdown. I cranked the screen pot all the way up and still got nothing.

I do not believe I have a meter that can measure what you're asking. However after much google research, I do actually think it's a flyback issue...

Changed out the flyback with one of those chinese flybacks floating around, but there was no difference. Still no raster or high voltage going to the screen.

Bumping this thread. Would like to figure out what is causing this as well.

This has been resolved.

Changed some questionable caps + filter caps and reflowed lots of solder joints. Wave is now gone!

@BlinG not to necro but after you changed the flyback did you have to adjust the hv pot near flyback to fix the too wide problem the Chinese flybacks seem to do.

@BlinG not to necro but after you changed the flyback did you have to adjust the hv pot near flyback to fix the too wide problem the Chinese flybacks seem to do.
the flyback wasn't the issue. The HV circuit was the problem and I had to send it to PNL to fix

oh i thought everyones problem with the china flybacks was the width were you couldnt adjust it down. i heard you had to adjust the hv next to pot. This is new now. Thats good to know. So your hv circuit was bad or just failing and thats why you couldnt bring it down?

oh i thought everyones problem with the china flybacks was the width were you couldnt adjust it down. i heard you had to adjust the hv next to pot. This is new now. Thats good to know. So your hv circuit was bad or just failing and thats why you couldnt bring it down?
I actually had two 2930s with issues. Both have been fixed. The one in the OP with the wavy lines issue was resolved by replacing caps and reflowing solder joints. The other one with no picture but had neck glow was fixed by PNL. They didn't give me any details on what exactly failed in the HV circuit though. John at PNL is pretty vague with how he fixes things. I assume because he doesn't want people knowing his secrets?

ya I understand. I learned some things recently. My wavey picture was caused by one of the 2 wires coming neckboard. Then I changed cap on neckboard fixed color and dimness. Then I figured out what causes that dreaded foggy blurryness when you turn on the cab from a cold boot. Crt socket need its points resoldered or crt socket need replaced entirely. Well fix many problems people have. But since I didnt have a socket yet I bent the neck tube pins out slightly just so they would make contact before.

Did pnl do a good job cleaning the chassis recapping?

Did pnl do a good job cleaning the chassis recapping?
They did not clean it at all. They just fix whatever the problem is then send it back. However, the board was already cleaned by me before shipping it out, so it didn't really need cleaning.

isopropyl 91% and a toothbrush. Some components you need to remove to really remove it.

Back