What's new

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Hey guys,

We present to you a "fixed" version of F-Zero AX for the Triforce system. This release has been modded so that the motor initialization and test will not error out if the FFB system is not connected or malfuntioning. Simply download the file and netboot it to your Triforce. It should work fine on both Rev. 1 and 3 pcbs but I have personally only tested it on my Rev. 3. So that means.......WE NEED MORE TESTERS. Please try it out and give your feedback. Especially those of you with F-Zero cabs. The controls for this game are pretty different than most racing games so an original cab would be great for initial testing.

Get it Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0oi3h5jrckfor6l/F-Zero-AX_fixed.rar

Since the controls are different than most racing games, I took the liberty of mapping them out for you. I will personally make an adapter to use with my S-JIHP so I can play this game properly. Here they are:

Steering X = P1 AD0
Steering Y = P1 AD1
Paddle Left = P2 UP
Paddle Right = P2 Down
Boost = P1 Shot 1
Gas = P2 AD0
Brake = P2 AD1
Start = P1 Start
View Change 1 = P1 UP
View Change 2 = P1 Down
View Change 3 = P1 Left
View Change 4 = P1 Right

When you load it up it will sit on the Motor Initializing screen for around a minute. On the first boot it will ask you to calibrate the controls and hit start. It will not let you continue until you have activated all controls.

I, uh, filled my storage unit with cabs.... I don't know where to put my AX.

Only 4 out of 16 for me. I need to fix them up. When can I drop it off so you can experiment?

If you wanted to sell I might take it otherwise I will just test with my S-JIHP setup. Too much hassle just for testing. :P

If I can get the deluxe version, I can sell you the standard one.

Well guess I can finally dig out and dust off the my type 1 for testing

I have had multiple times I considered getting a Triforce for AX but simply did not due to cost.

Does this mean then if the whole force feedback setup is not connected the stock gd-rom version will not work at all? (just errors)

If this is the case, is this something that Sega/Nintendo implemented with this game specifically because when I run my Initial D versions on Naomi 2 it just comes up with Kickback initialize and gets past it with no errors even though no hardware is connected or present.

Most games allow you to turn off the FFB to boot the game without but F-Zero will not boot if the motor initialization test fails. You can't turn it off either. That's why this change was made so that we could play the game without a full cabinet.

I know. But now you have a good one to play. :)

Most games allow you to turn off the FFB to boot the game without but F-Zero will not boot if the motor initialization test fails. You can't turn it off either. That's why this change was made so that we could play the game without a full cabinet.
Can F-Zero be set up in a way to use FFB from other NAOMI 2 games or does it only work with the NAMCO FFB?

Can F-Zero be set up in a way to use FFB from other NAOMI 2 games or does it only work with the NAMCO FFB?
Good question. Not my area of expertise.

The wiring diagram shows it using the Sega MIDI board, not the Namco one, I believe:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/6/6d/FZeroSTDWiring.pdf

Interesting... I wonder how compatible this game would be in an ID/OR2 cab.

Back