What's new
Most games allow you to turn off the FFB to boot the game without but F-Zero will not boot if the motor initialization test fails. You can't turn it off either. That's why this change was made so that we could play the game without a full cabinet.
Can F-Zero be set up in a way to use FFB from other NAOMI 2 games or does it only work with the NAMCO FFB?
The wiring diagram shows it using the Sega MIDI board, not the Namco one, I believe:http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/6/6d/FZeroSTDWiring.pdf

Interesting... I wonder how compatible this game would be in an ID/OR2 cab.
I just got to wondering this given Mitsurugi-w has this fixed version of F-Zero. Shot in the dark but if the motor uses the MIDI board, it sounds promising. :)

that would require a protocol translation If I'm not wrong, so definitely not coming from me.

that would require a protocol translation If I'm not wrong, so definitely not coming from me.
Protocol translation for what? According to the wiring diagram I linked to, the FFB used for F-Zero is Sega 838-14174, which is the same from ID3/OR2 and other NAOMI games.

AGS has it listed as compatible with F-Zero:
http://triplemoonstar.brinkster.net/theshed/default.asp?stockid=2095
Midi Motor Drive Board as used in Club Kart, Initial D series (1 -3), F-Zero AX and Outrun 2 / Special Tours.

OK I see what you mean now.

But if it's the same FFB it should be direct replacemnt and you don't need the fix, right?

But if it's the same FFB it should be direct replacemnt and you don't need the fix, right?
Ok, so if you have the correct FFB, then this fix is not needed, since the entire fix is to bypass the FFB check.

Just curious, does this fixed version still work with FFB if it's present or is it permanently disabled? Just trying to figure out if I should have both depending on situation.

Good question. Dunno as I made this version because I didn't have the FFB :) It should just bypass the check and *theoretically* should work as well.

Ok, so if you have the correct FFB, then this fix is not needed, since the entire fix is to bypass the FFB check.
Just curious, does this fixed version still work with FFB if it's present or is it permanently disabled? Just trying to figure out if I should have both depending on situation.
Just confirming, the MIDI FFB on an ID2/3 cab works perfectly fine on the unmodified FZeroAX game.

It looks to work just fine. Even motor initialization works.
That's what I thought. We just made the motor initialization check pass regardless of if FFB is in use since there is no way to turn off FFB in the game's menu. Good to know it still works.

Just confirming, the MIDI FFB on an ID2/3 cab works perfectly fine on the unmodified FZeroAX game.
Any chance controls map up to something usable in stock controls of the ID cab? Not sure what they do, but F-Zero looks like it has a few buttons.

Any chance controls map up to something usable in stock controls of the ID cab? Not sure what they do, but F-Zero looks like it has a few buttons.
I have only played the Deluxe AX version in the arcades. The main controls that are not stock are the paddle shifters, used for drifting, boost button, middle button like in mario kart, cab stop button (stops the cab from moving), arrow controls with multiple view change (only view change #3 works with ID cab stock and the two memory card inputs (gamecube and card reader). On startup, the game wants some base controls to work before it gets to the main screen. It seems like the gas pedal and one of the shift controls are swapped.
I did not see anywhere to disable the minimum controls to get past this screen. I will need to research the JVS I/O pinout for Fzero AX further to see if I can get it passed this screen.

You have to activate each control to go past the screen initially. The only other way is to calibrate the controls from the manager's screen. I activate all of them for testing purposes by connecting a race wheel to player 1 and 2 inputs to activate all controls. It uses a combination of analog devices normally used for player 1 and 2. If that makes sense.

I already mapped out the controls in post number 1 of this thread.

You have to activate each control to go past the screen initially. The only other way is to calibrate the controls from the manager's screen. I activate all of them for testing purposes by connecting a race wheel to player 1 and 2 inputs to activate all controls. It uses a combination of analog devices normally used for player 1 and 2. If that makes sense.

I already mapped out the controls in post number 1 of this thread.
Yep. Thanks for that. I'm still working on mapping them out.

Hello,
Thank you very much for your good work
I have two modo triforce 3 on sammy driving cab and use a standard sega ioboard
I working fine for me, juste waiting on starting game (60sec) and calibrate correctly a gas and brake on prefs and enjoy ;)

IMG_9001.JPG

Steering X = P1 AD0
Steering Y = P1 AD1
Paddle Left = P2 UP
Paddle Right = P2 Down
Boost = P1 Shot 1
Gas = P2 AD0
Brake = P2 AD1
Start = P1 Start
View Change 1 = P1 UP
View Change 2 = P1 Down
View Change 3 = P1 Left
View Change 4 = P1 Right
@Mitsurugi-w,
For documentation purposes, on a SEGA Type 3 I/O, what are the corresponding pins on the JVS for the S-JIHP?

PIN 3 (Analog): Steering X = P1 AD0
PIN 9 (Analog): Steering Y = P1 AD1
?: Paddle Left = P2 UP
?: Paddle Right = P2 Down
PIN 27: Boost = P1 Shot 1
PIN 4 (Analog): Gas = P2 AD0
PIN 10 (Analog): Brake = P2 AD1
PIN 17: Start = P1 Start
PIN 23: View Change 1 = P1 UP
PIN 25: View Change 2 = P1 Down
PIN 21: View Change 3 = P1 Left

PIN 19: View Change 4 = P1 Right

I can't seem to figure out which ones are for Paddle controls.

Last edited:
I can't say off the top of my head but it is the same as with a type 1.

Back