What's new

Retro-Rabbit

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm James, owner of Retro-Rabbit Studios in Toronto Canada.
Retro-Rabbit Studios is all about the hobby of models, particularly sci-fi like S.F.3.D. Maschinen Kreiger, Gundam, and table-top mini games like Warhammer.

The whole thing is a WIP that will become realized in 2020.
But that's not particularly relevant to this forum.

I'm educated as a mechanical, and electronics engineer. Both equally fun to discuss at parties. I'm as comfortable with a soldering iron or a metal lathe as I am with pumpkin carving.

I've been collecting, restoring, and enjoying arcade machines, and video games in general since the mid 90's. I've got a few CPS2 games, a wall of MVS and AES carts, I used to have 2 CPS3 systems, and I sold both and totally regret it.. A '77 Sonic 'Mars Trek' EM pinball machine that I fully restored. A complete Shinobi Sega system 16A kit (art, board, marquee etc...) that I am thinking about maybe doing the multi game kit on. A Killer Instinct 1 with a CF mod, the hdd died years ago. And last but not least an original Banpresto 'Super Dimensional Fortress Macross' board that works but has issues, the main character and enemy sprites are ghosting, or missing parts of the sprites during attract and play. I've been over the board a number of times and can't locate the fault. Maybe someone here will have a fresh perspective on the issue. I've done a number of Phoenix resurrections on my CPS2 boards, I remember chatting with Razoola back when the encryption was broken and we could save our dead boards, those were exciting times.

I built my own Ms Pac Man from scratch( cabinet ), using as much period correct hardware as possible even a '79 midway branded monitor. It dual boots to a Pi-cade with some obnoxious number of vertical games I've yet to curate. I tried 4 different types of joysticks on it until I decided on the Ultimarc Mag-stik plus, as I wanted the 4 way gate for Ms Pac Man and other classics, and an easy switch to 8 way for shmups. There's a trackball for Millipede etc..

An old 'on hold because life' project is building a 25" crt mame machine. The cabinet is finished along with most of the controls, 2ply, 8btn, spinner, trackball, Aimtrak gun (which i still can't get to work right without constant recalibration) I would LOVE to move it all into a Blast City / Astro / Candy cabinet though. So if anyone knows of anyone selling one in or around Toronto, please let me know.

The next project is a sit-down driving / Virtual On machine with interchangeable controls. All Naomi 1 / 2 hardware for the moment. I've got a steering feedback unit from a Club Kart, Pedals from an Initial D Stage 3, the midi/ffb controller, and a driving io board, all working well. Though I imagine I'll need to modify the Club Kart steering unit as it's infinity spin, where I want the 270 or whatever of Initial D.

I've got various programmers, so I'm happy to write eprom/flash/zero keys, as long as the ic and data are provided.

I just blew the ass out of a JVS JAMMA adapter (838-13683-93) because I accidentally swapped the 5 and 12V input on CN6. I hope I can fix it, as replacing it seems .. more expensive.

Back