What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I’m considering getting a pcb preheater for making smd work a bit easier and cleaner. Right now I just heat up the back side arbitrarily before I work on the front, but I’m well aware it’s not ideal as my pcbs inevitably warp slightly by the time I’m done.

I would probably be satisfied by a UV bed or hot-plate. I know they’re also not perfect but hey, step in the right direction! However most of those seem smaller than an average arcade pcb. I’m not sure I want to throw down for an expensive one e.g. Zephyrtonics. Anyone find something out there that they like?

Are you interested in hakko 1012?
I'm interested in hearing about whatever folks have used personally. This one looks comparable to the kinds I'm turning up in searches... a little too small for some arcade pcb's. If that size still does the job, then that's what I'd like to hear. Otherwise I'm curious what people do (or maybe people just don't use them at all, like I currently am doing!)

Mostly because I'm impatient I think I'm gonna flip a coin between this and this and just try one out since they're cheap enough, and I'm just looking for moderate improvement over no heater at all. Still interested to hear if anyone has tried anything before though.

My only experience is with $2-3k+ IR preheaters for over 4yrs.

Really depends on your price range and freq. of use. I sold mine as I cut down on SMD work, as the next step for me with demand would have required a larger investment in a new full rework / BGA reballing station.

If you want I have extra fr1012. New and used. More expensive unit than those though. I can take arcade stuff in trade though :P

If you want I have extra fr1012. New and used. More expensive unit than those though. I can take arcade stuff in trade though :P
You seem to have quite an arsenal up there :D

You seem to have quite an arsenal up there :D
8xiVcJB.jpg
:/

So why do you have all those?! And to my original question how do they perform for working on arcade boards with surface mount stuff?

wow, what the heck are you doing that you'd need 4 of those things? and only crap the MSRP on those is high. Isn't it just a glorified space heater? :D

I mean you could probably build one of these things using a heated bed from a 3D printer for under $100.

I mean you could probably build one of these things using a heated bed from a 3D printer for under $100
You know, I was thinking about just putting my space heater on its side and find a way to mount my pcb above it...

I don't need which is why i can sell trade some haha. I just buy dumb stuff sometimes :whistling: . They are bit more than just heater. They are fancy heater haha. Also thermal couple mode so you set pcb temp and it will monitor and maintain that temp base on sensor you put on pcb. Plus very quick heat up, holders, etc.nice units.

Back