What's new

plasia

Grand Master
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm hoping that together we'll be able to get to the bottom of this, maybe even discover something. This is something I've searched on google/various arcade forums multiple hours for a solution, but it seems not very many people even have this problem to begin with and I haven't gotten anywhere.

I'm hoping the answer is pretty simple, in which case this will be a valuable resource for people troubleshooting this issue.

Firstly let's look at my setup:

Unit: Standard Naomi 1
NetDimm Firmware: 4.02
NetDimm Memory: 256mb (yes it passes the tests)
PIC (99% sure it's a nullpic): The one from Jasens Customs Netboot Kit
JVS: Capcom I/O
Naomi Bios: Multi-Region Bios (have tried export, JP and US)
Notes: Works absolutely fine netbooting normal Naomi games, bios region works correctly

Let's note that normal naomi games netboot with no problem.

Atomiswave Netboot Problem: Sends game fine, Naomi reboots and checks memory, all is ok there. Reboots again and there's just a black screen after the naomi bootup, I wait for a more than reasonable period of time (5min+) but nothing happens.
Things I've tried:
1. multiple atomiswave games, kofxi, ss6, ms6, kofneo (downloaded from links provided here, thanks a bunch!)
2. Booting methods: I have tried PiForce Tools (with the Jasens Customs kit), naomi_boot.py and transfergame (from a nearby PC). Please note that all of these work perfectly fine for naomi games.
3. BIOS regions: I've tried switching between export, JP and US

Problem Status: Using a standard Japanese G Bios solved everything. Not sure why the multibios didn't work but hey, there we go.

Last edited:
AW games are some of the titles that don't auto-reset, right? Turn off the cab, turn back on, should boot the AW game.

AW games are some of the titles that don't auto-reset, right? Turn off the cab, turn back on, should boot the AW game.
Result of trying this (simply switched naomi off then on): Naomi ends up back in "checking network" and I had to resend the game. When I did this it ended up back with a black screen.

I think my battery is dead or not there to start with? I'll check this shortly when I try Tyler's advice.

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Result of trying this (simply switched naomi off then on): Naomi ends up back in "checking network" and I had to resend the game. When I did this it ended up back with a black screen.
I think my battery is dead or not there to start with? I'll check this shortly when I try Tyler's advice.

Thanks for the quick response guys.
Trying it on mine now. Got an Error 22 when trying to launch Dolphin Blue. Have not had that issue in the past.

Launched a Naomi title no problem.

Now trying one of the games on your list.

I've got the same setup as you except I don't know where my PIC came from originally, and I'm in a JVS cab instead of using the Capcom I/O, but that shouldn't matter.

EDIT: Got an error 22 on that try as well. Wonder what's going on on my setup now... Dolphin Blue I've played a dozen or more times...

Try popping up the service menu. Then go to game test mode. That works on mine, oddly enough.

ifplugged in, remove battery from dimmboard and retry please
Tried this, no change in behaviour when attempting to boot atomiswave (bios currently in JP), CvS2 boots up fine. I tried with "kofxi all fighters.bin", I'll try with some others but I'm 99% sure it wont make a difference.

forme,here is somewhere an bad crc or something similar in sending your game.
When all header of the game etc.. Is OK, Naomi is booting like yours and display an blackscreen(data corrupted so can execute code.)

Can you try sending your game using an pc and python script?

Otherwise, it can be an ram issue(better test is done on an computer) but since Naomi game are working OK...

BTW, try without pic. Computer/raspberry is enough for trying

forme,here is somewhere an bad crc or something similar in sending your game.
When all header of the game etc.. Is OK, Naomi is booting like yours and display an blackscreen(data corrupted so can execute code.)

Can you try sending your game using an pc and python script?

Otherwise, it can be an ram issue(better test is done on an computer) but since Naomi game are working OK...

I have tried sending the games with the python script (naomi_boot.py) from a PC, there is no change in behaviour from the other methods. Naomi games work fine but atomiswave games just give that darned black screen :(

I will try without a pic when I can and let you know, gotta go out and do mothers day things.

Try popping up the service menu. Then go to game test mode. That works on mine, oddly enough.
Unfortunately I tried that and it didn't work for me, same black screen.

Unfortunately this didn't seem to do anything. Raspberry doesn't work without the pic, naomi_boot.py from a PC does but only for naomi games :(

have you tried booting an AW game with a standard G or H bios?
Unlikely but your multibios might be doing something funky.

have you tried booting an AW game with a standard G or H bios?
Unlikely but your multibios might be doing something funky.
I haven't got a standard G or H bios to try that :( I would assume if there was problems with the multibios it'd show up in naomi games though?

I have the exact same thing, worked for me before, but since quite some time I have to use this workaround as well.

I haven't got a standard G or H bios to try that I would assume if there was problems with the multibios it'd show up in naomi games though?
i would have thought so to but it is the only thing i can think of that might affect one but not the other.

I have a spare jap G bios you can have for postage cost if you want.

I have the exact same thing, worked for me before, but since quite some time I have to use this workaround as well.
Can you explain exactly what this trick is and how/when to perform it. I just want to make sure I was doing the same thing.

Can you explain exactly what this trick is and how/when to perform it. I just want to make sure I was doing the same thing.
When I try to boot AW games I get the same black screen as you mention, I then push the test button and from the test menu I start up the game "test mode", which starts the game.

When I try to boot AW games I get the same black screen as you mention, I then push the test button and from the test menu I start up the game "test mode", which starts the game.
I need to try this. I've never had any luck booting any of the atomiswave games on my netdimm.

Ok guys, using the G bios corey sent me I have atomiswave games loading and playing with no issues. I've gone through all my AW games and all is hunky dorey. The naomi games are also working. Everything is working ;)

Awesome!

Now... why didn't the multibios work? Can a few others try it?

Glad to see it worked

my guess either multis dont work with AW games or yours had a bad write in a very particular spot that AW games use at boot

Back