What's new
As plasia posted in his first post and I already anticipated, the problem is the BIOS.
If it's the bios that the problem then why is it that some of us are able to use the Rev H bios without problems?

My guess is that differences between G and H are minor. Different BIOS can have a significant delay and therefore not work.

As plasia posted in his first post and I already anticipated, the problem is the BIOS.
If it's the bios that the problem then why is it that some of us are able to use the Rev H bios without problems?
What is your setup? Are you netbooting or CF?
I've used both NAOMI 1 with Rev H multibios (the one on arcade otaku) and NOAMI 2 with Rev C multi bios. I've run both with rev 4.02 net-dimm and 3.17 net dimm with pi-force tools ver 1.2 using Atomiswave roms from neoarcadia.

I know I've gone through and tested every Atomiswave conversion on the NAOMI 1 Rev H bios/4.02 net-dimm combo without any problems (I did this to compile my bios/io compatibility spreadsheet). I've use the other configurations just playing around but I've never once ran into a non-boot issue with the atomiswave conversion.

could be wrong but isn't there 2 multi bioses going around one is just a multi bios and one allows the 2in1 to work. Which could explain why one multi works and the other doesn't

My guess is that differences between G and H are minor. Different BIOS can have a significant delay and therefore not work.
is it known, problems happens with both regular Rev.H and multibios Rev.H or with multibios only?

I have one idea about possible cause - mutibios have 'bootstrap' copy/pasted from very old prototype HoTD2 bios (which bypasses protection and makes rest of ROM 'editable')
besides other things this bootstrap initializes SH4 Bus (memory) Controller - RAM timings and such stuff, which may be different from supposed to be in recent Naomi/Naomi2 motherboards and RAM ICs used there.
needed to investigate this..

I've had no problems with the original JP H bios using atomiswave conversions.

is it known, problems happens with both regular Rev.H and multibios Rev.H or with multibios only?
Multibios only thus far. Seems to be intermittent too. Some people have issues, others do not.

As far as the dedicated bios, the OP has no issues with Rev G. Rev G is the bios I use and I have no issues either. I am waiting for my EPROM eraser to arrive and I will do a test with Rev H. Also see if it is hardware revision related, as again, some users have issues with the multibios and some do not.

could be wrong but isn't there 2 multi bioses going around one is just a multi bios and one allows the 2in1 to work. Which could explain why one multi works and the other doesn't
I got my multibios from Mitsurugi. If there are two versions, I am not sure which one he burned. That is if there are two versions of the multibios. Personally, I was only aware of one.

Interesting test results tonight.

First on the thought of the 2-in-1, my thought (not confirmed) is that it's using the "normal" multi-region bios, and changes games the same way a cartridge switches languages etc. based on region. Like if you boot Power Stone 2 in Japan or US there are differences. It's my theory that the makers of 2-in-1 use the JPN/USA spots on the cartridge to just put 2 different games rather than 2 different languages of one game. Just a thought. I have seen no other multi bios / mod bios though I do recall hearing one may exist.

Anyway, testing... I took out a couple NAOMI 1 boards and booted atomiswave conversions on them. Crazy enough, despite my black screen result on NAOMI 2 with multi region bios, both NAOMI 1 boards worked just fine. I also used different DIMMs including the one from my N2 board that would not work with Atomiswave conversions.

tl;dr I have two naomi 1 boards, tested with different DIMM boards, that play Atomiswave conversions fine with a multi region bios.

Multibios gave me black screen as well with cf flash and normal dimm ...Is it epr-21578g or epr-21576g ? Or does it matter?

On a side note i have a 2 compact flash kits one from mitsu and one from Brandon summit and 2 normal dimms cf modded....

If i use a 2gb transcent cf card ( Aw samurai showdown 6 )on mitsu i get black screen.if i use it on the one from summit it works fine.weird thing is they are exactly the same besides the smd led for power.One has a smd led and the other bulb led.

Last edited:
21576H is the latest Japan bios, which the multi is based off of. I'm wondering if the US region is set by dips if that causes issue. I could test that hypothesis later.

The last digit before the letter is the region. For NAOMI 1, a 6 is japan and 7/8 are us/export respectively. Naomi 2 uses '5' for jpn.

I used epr-21578g now all aw and normal games work.except on ms6 and mbaa i have to use a 2gb card, on the other games i can use 512mb cards.

Gonna try the 21578h now.

I'm sticking with epr-21578g not a black screen yet. I got making cf cards down to a science now...various brands/sizes of compact flash cards,none has failed since i figured it all out.

I'm sticking with epr-21578g not a black screen yet. I got making cf cards down to a science now...various brands/sizes of compact flash cards,none has failed since i figured it all out.
Then please share your knowledge with the rest of the members please :) What cards work for you and which don't? What should a noob user take into account?

Thanks.

Only thing is the thread started with folks having issues with Netbooting rather than using CFboot. You wouldn't happen to have a Netdimm handy to test the same would you?

I think that cf post(s) could be it's own thread, useful info for cf people I think :)

I'm scratching my head about the multi-bios not working for some people with AW releases, but for others it's fine? We know it's a bios problem but it's really inconsistent!

In regards to the atomiswave conversions, I did some more testing with NAOMI 1. I am still actually unable to reproduce the black screen issue across 4 different N1 motherboards and 3 different dimm boards.

I thought that perhaps USA region on dip2 caused issues, but I was unable to confirm that. I just netbooted GGX1.5 on both the JP and US regions of the multi.

So far, the only black screen I've been seen with an AW game is on the NAOMI 2 with multi bios.

In regards to the atomiswave conversions, I did some more testing with NAOMI 1. I am still actually unable to reproduce the black screen issue across 4 different N1 motherboards and 3 different dimm boards.

I thought that perhaps USA region on dip2 caused issues, but I was unable to confirm that. I just netbooted GGX1.5 on both the JP and US regions of the multi.

So far, the only black screen I've been seen with an AW game is on the NAOMI 2 with multi bios.
Good info. Let's see what can tell us the rest of people with issues.

Out of curiosity (maybe I missed it somewhere) but when changing games on the netbook device (pi or pc) the system auto resets if the game currently running is naomi... if it's an atomiswave game it seems that the system has to be manually rebooted is this simply a byproduct of not having all the naomi system handlers or something?
N -> N and N -> A auto reset, A -> N or A -> A do not.

Back