What's new

kingcar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just Did a PSU Fan "mod" on my Blast's since they were as loud as a starting Plane.

A friend of mine had 2 Noctua Fans lying around so we decided to make this quick modification.

It's very easy to do but can be a very dirty job^^

You just need a screwdriver, a soldering iron and a pair of tweezers.
A 12V 0.12 80x80mmx20mm Fan. Get a Noctua, they are totally worth the extra money you spend on them.
I guess you can also do it without soldering if you get a new JST Plug for your new fan.
If I'm not wrong on this one it must be a JST XH 2 Pin connector.

Open up the PSU and clean it first, if you didn't do it yet.
If you have some issues with power you might as well recap the whole thing.
But back to track^^

Open up the PSU
n71zwyg.jpg

Unscrew the ol' Fan
ECpnXMi.jpg

and cut off the JST plug, re solder it to your new Fan
screw it back on and you are basicly done
OlxqBtH.jpg

ysfLw35.jpg

Reassemble the PSU and slide it back into your Machine.
J8eYZsa.jpg

Enjoy the Silence! :thumbsup:

Nice work. I did the same thing recently since my old PSU fan was not running. I spliced a connector with wires I had in the parts bin since I don't have a new head/crimps on hand and put some heat shrink on to clean it up. With the new Noctua it's basically silent, although I'm unsure if it pushes as much air as the old fan did. Shouldn't be too much of an issue in my case since I'm not running this cab 24x7. The wire colors on the connector side are reversed because Monoprice/Wanhao 3D printers are weird and that's where I got my spare part from.

Oce8HTI.jpg

Well,

I didn't do a speed test on the old fans or the new one. But I just assume/hope that having the same specs it runs at the same RPM.^^

did this with a NOCTUA NF-A8 ULN, the super silent version. Now it's almost completely silent :D

For the times that my Blast is running (5 hours in one go maximum) i can feel no great difference in heat when checking the airflow, but i also couldn't tell if there's a difference in air volume that's moved...

I just got my Blast City today. Oh man, you weren’t lying. This fan is a loud as vacuum cleaner. I plan to do a silent Fan mod As well. I do have a question though. What did you guys use to clean the inside of the unit out with. Is it safe to just use an compressed air can and some electronics cleaner like CRC?

Compressed air works just fine. I don't think there's any need for CRC.

compressed air is fine but I suggest you clean it outside then. XD
I used a Vacum cleaner and an old fine paint brush.

make sure the new fan has equal or greater flow (CFM) - they arent fitted for fun!

Really? For home use? The original fans were specced for operating 16h every day during the summer heat of Japan.

IMO put a silent, low CFM fan in and don't worry about it.

have you actually checked the internal temperatures?

No, but I've put my hand over the exhaust. It's no where near as warm as the air my computer is blowing out.

My Cabs are running 10+ hours on weekends and no issues whatsoever with the noctuas.
Same yeah. Been that way for five years too.

does it exhaust into the cab, or the room though.
because if it blows into the cab it is probably intended to take the heat from the monitor and game up to the top vents

i'v not had this cab, but older machines with fans where designed to cause flow from the base upto the top to keep *everything* reasonable.

i can certainly say that the psu fan exhausts the hot air - i checked that when i changed mine

does it exhaust into the cab, or the room though.
because if it blows into the cab it is probably intended to take the heat from the monitor and game up to the top vents

i'v not had this cab, but older machines with fans where designed to cause flow from the base upto the top to keep *everything* reasonable.
Plus, in a stock cabinet, the marquee area has a panel mounted horizontally that mostly blocks out airflow from the lower portion of the cabinet. The vents behind the marquee area are mostly for the lighting fixture, I'd think.

edit:

actually, looking at the manual, I think this panel exists on my cabinet but might not be stock?? Part (4) in this below image has a plastic sheet glued onto it in my cabinet.
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.19.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Back