Best CD/SCD/ACD Games for PCEngine/TG16/Duo

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Best CD/SCD/ACD Games for PCEngine/TG16/Duo

Just as the title says I'm looking for some nice games to add to my (recently acquired) Super SD System 3's SD card.

I've posted these type of threads before (the PS2 thread was most epic) and received some really great suggestions.
      Now I'm no stranger to PCE/TG16, but I feel I've only just scratched the surface in terms of the Japan lineup.

This is what I've converted/installed so far...

4 in 1 Super CD (USA)
      Ai Chou Aniki (JPN)
      Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (JPN)
      Beyond Shadowgate (USA)
      Black Hole Assault (JPN)
      Bomberman '94 Taikenban (JPN)
      Bonk III - Bonk's Big Adventure (USA)
      Double Dragon II - The Revenge (JPN)
      Dungeon Explorer II (USA)
      Exile (USA)
      Exile II - Wicked Phenomenon (USA)
      Fighting Street (USA)
      Godzilla (USA)
      It Came from the Desert (USA)
      Kaze Kiri - Ninja Action (JPN)
      Last Alert (USA)
      Loom (USA)
      Lords of Thunder (USA)
      Magical Fantasy Adventure - Popful Mail (JPN)
      Rainbow Islands (JPN)
      Shadow of the Beast (USA)
      Shape Shifter (USA)
      Super Air Zonk (USA)
      Vasteel (USA)
      Winds of Thunder (JPN)

Also like before I'm not keen on arcade ports, but I have included a few (notice Rainbow Islands above) before depending on quality of said port.

BTW, any accepted recommendation comes with access to the conversion/image. :whistling: ;)
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)

The post was edited 4 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Frank_fjs wrote:

Great site for discovering games and obtaining information.
      I want to be told by other AP members what they like/recommend and why.
      Sit back, let the suggestions roll in, convert the images and check 'em out... Yup real basic stuff.

@DecepticonZero always has some kick ass recommendations for me, he seems to understand just what I'm looking for.
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
    • I know you said that you aren't keen on arcade ports but I recommend giving R-Type Complete CD a shot. It's a great port but I mainly enjoy it for the arranged soundtrack that covers all sorts of genres. It's very much like other CD games of that era where the soundtrack can eclipse the game.

Gate of Thunder is worth a look, especially the remastered version that brings the music forward and lowers the game audio. On that note, check out Lords of Thunder remastered which does the same.

I've never played it but Download 2 looks great.
    • Ruprit wrote:

I know you said that you aren't keen on arcade ports but I recommend giving R-Type Complete CD a shot.
      I own the real/original (not multis) R-Type and R-Type 2 arcade PCBs (easily my most fav shump of all time)... And I own a conversion of R-Type Leo.
      PCE/TG16 has nothing to offer me here gameplay wise (but I do admit it is a very good port).
      Now the point about audio I totally understand, I think I'll convert it to MP3 and give it a shot.

I have the 4 in 1 Super CD converted/loaded, I'm told it has the only English/USA version of Gate of Thunder on it.
      I also loaded up Winds of Thunder which is only JPN and Lords of Thunder which is USA.

I was also really interested in Download 2, but isn't it a RPG? Or at least have heavy dialog strictly in Japanese?

The post was edited 2 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Any of the Ys games. Books 1-4 are on the system. Ys IV has a really interesting version on PCE which has been fan translated. This version takes some weird turns from the SNES version story wise. (One pretends Ys III existed and the other doesn't.)

Ys III I prefer on PCE over any other system and the remakes. I guess the same can be said about IV as well.

Legend of Xanadu is another Falcom game, but I believe its still being translated?

tg-16.com/The_Legend_of_Xanadu.htm

Either way, if you're digging into the Falcom catalog, it's worth keeping an eye out for.

Xak III is another excellent action RPG that's been translated in English. However Xak I and II for PCE has not. (the MSX version has)

I see you already got Cho Aniki :D :D :D

The Valis series is worth taking a look at (I prefer Valis III). It's an action platformer similar to Castlevania.

Tengai Makyou is another cool series to keep an eye on. The only English release of the series was Kabuki Klash on Neo Geo, and a fan translation of TM: Zero on SNES recently. Hopefully the other ones, especially Manji Maru, will get translated one day.

Devil's Crush - An awesome pinball game with kick ass music. One of my all time favorites.

Coryoon - A nice little dragon shmup by Naxat Soft.

Magical Chase - A stupid expensive, but good shmup. Made by Quest, who went on to make Ogre Battle.

Dragon Egg - A platformer that I enjoy. Not the best on the system, but still fun.

Batman - You got to play this one. This game was made by Sunsoft and was a Japan only Batman game. It plays from a top down perspective. Batman gets Bomberman like power ups and has to do weird shit throughout the stages (one stage hes cleaning grafitti off paintings). A fun game overall.

Sapphire - is a really good shmup worth checking out. Not sure if you can emulate this without the Arcade card.
    • Rg111 wrote:

Devil's Crush - An awesome pinball game with kick ass music. One of my all time favorites.
      It is awesome, but its Hucard (I've already got all the Hucards in the form of the Smokemonster pack).
      Aren't some of these others Hucards as well?

CD/SuperCD/Arcade Card only please

The Y's games were good, I owned Book 1&2 back in the day on my TG16CD.
      ITS SOOOOOOO long tho, that is mainly why I didn't include them now... Don't really have the hours to invest in epic RPGs like I once did.

Rg111 wrote:

Sapphire - is a really good shmup worth checking out. Not sure if you can emulate this without the Arcade card.
      Apparently not a problem for the SSDS3.

xtrasmiley wrote:

but actually the game I was originally thinking about was this one
      Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire added. :!:

The post was edited 3 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Oh he added the Forgotten Worlds, yea I owned it back in the day... I even maintained to all my Genesis owning friends that this WAS the superior version.
      Today tho? I'm kinda waiting for the Darksoft CPS1 multi to experience it again in all its arcade glory (which reminds me, I need to get my hands on some reproduction spinners).
    • I could deal with some "light" RPGs, nothing to grind heavy sucking 300+ hours of my life away.
    • Download 1 and 2 are both shmups-and highly recommended.

More great shmups that I recommend that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Sylphia (Disc)
      Nexzyr (Disc)
      Air Zonk (Card)
      Star Parodier (Disc)
      Rayzanber III (Disc)
      Metal Stoker (Disc)
      Sidearms Special (Disc)
      Terraforming (Disc)
      Monster Lair (Disc)

And some great non-shmup titles:

Son Son 2 (action-platformer) - Card
      Somer Assault (Slinky Simulator) - Card
      Time Cruise (Pinball) - Cars
      Legendary Axe (hack n slash) -Card
      Parasol Stars (Bubble Bobble sequel) - Card
      Neutopia II (Zelda clone) - Card
      Dynastic Hero (RPG hack n slash) - Disc
      Silent Debuggers (first person maze shooter) - Card
      Shockman (Mega Man clone) - Card
      Ninja Gaiden (upgraded port of the NES game) - Card
      New Adventure Island (upgraded port of the NES game) - Card
      Dragons Curse (upgraded port of Wonder Boy III) - Card

I’m sure I’ll remember more later, but that’s a great list to start with. Also, I sent you a PM!

The post was edited 1 time, last by ShootTheCore ().