Looking for troubleshooting help on Gundam Vs Gundam NEXT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Looking for troubleshooting help on Gundam Vs Gundam NEXT

Hey there,

I just received my four Namco System 256 units from a reputable forum member here. They came with Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT.

I ran them on my Ehrgeiz cabinet and I'm encountering two issues:

1. The system itself is really loud
      2. Gundam vs Gundam NEXT freezes after either two minutes or when I begin actual gameplay

I tried a different dongle and that didn't help. I tried a dfiferent slot and that didn't help. I didn't try one of the other units yet though.

Setup:

This power supply: amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5E8W…tle_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      This cab which is JAMMA: recroommasters.com/19-Xtension…A-p/rm-xt-alpha-jamma.htm

The component cables from the TV straight to the 256.
      One VGA cable from the JAMMA I/O to the 256
      One VGA from the TV to the 256
      The other cables all plugged in (IDE etc..)

Let me know if you have any questions.
      Currently run/own:

1. 1x Namco System 12 - Ehrgeiz
      2-5. 4x Namco System 256 - All Gundam Games
      6. Arcade 1up RetroPie emulation build
    • What do you mean loud? Fan noise? You can replace the case fan. I want to say it's a 60mm fan, same as in the CPS2, but I could be wrong. Easily swapped over to a quieter one though. The harddrive also makes some noise, but I'm not sure if you can replace that with a solid state solution.

As for it freezing, I bet you have the +5V voltage too low. Measure it at the power input connector on the 256.
    • nem wrote:

What do you mean loud? Fan noise? You can replace the case fan. I want to say it's a 60mm fan, same as in the CPS2, but I could be wrong. Easily swapped over to a quieter one though. The harddrive also makes some noise, but I'm not sure if you can replace that with a solid state solution.

As for it freezing, I bet you have the +5V voltage too low. Measure it at the power input connector on the 256.
      For measuring, do you mean this: amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDBW1…tle_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Because that's what I currently have
      What reading should I be getting and how do I turn it up?
      Currently run/own:

• Yes, you need a multimeter for reading voltages. The one you have looks fine. Set it to DC voltage (one right from OFF), range 40V. Put your black meter lead on GND, red on +5V. You can jam the probes inside the connector housing. Pinout is here:

wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Namco_system_256#Connectors

Voltage is adjusted from the PSU. It's the white knob at the top. Try to hit 5.05V.
    • nem wrote:

Yes, you need a multimeter for reading voltages. The one you have looks fine. Set it to DC voltage (one right from OFF), range 40V. Put your black meter lead on GND, red on +5V. You can jam the probes inside the connector housing. Pinout is here:

wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Namco_system_256#Connectors

Voltage is adjusted from the PSU. It's the white knob at the top. Try to hit 5.05V.
      As it turned out, you were exactly right, lol. I tested it and turned the knob up and bam, it worked. Now I just need to have it on for a while and see how long it can last. Thanks for the help!
      Currently run/own: