What's new
Damn!

so does this mean we get solid 60hz output so it will work with every display?
2. Adaptive line multiplier
* visible lines are multiplied but horizontal & vertical total matched to standard timings

Every other feature on that list I'm excited for. I'm not looking forward to seeing how sprites are going to be crunched down in a rotated scale. I guess if you're outputting a high enough image resolution, then you can get the fidelity that doesn't crunch anything.

But seriously, vertical games on a 16:9 display sucks.

Vertical games on a 16:9 display are fine if implemented correctly. Most modern shooter released have this option as does the M2 ST releases of classic Cave games. If you have a big enough TV (such as a 65" or 70") in your living room, it would be perfect.

Not just for shooters though, there are other classic arcade games that are vertical orientation, to finally be able to play the on a main TV will be great!

I don't get the hoopla about rotation.. If you rotate it, the picture is already so modified and processed you may as well use an emulator or mister. :huh:
Well, with current equipment you can rotate with very light lag, such as 1-1.5 frames, which I guess is up to you if that's too much or not. We have no idea how much lag the OSSC Pro will add, but it will for sure add some.

Emulator has tons of other issues, one being Cave games are not emulated correctly (throughout the game) and MISTer, well, it doesn't emulate Cave games (yet). Finally, many prefer to play their own PCBs, even more so if it's a game that is not emulated at all yet.

I'm excited by the FPGA functionally and expansion header. This could be an all in one solution that replaces mister.

I don't get the hoopla about rotation.. If you rotate it, the picture is already so modified and processed you may as well use an emulator or mister. :huh:
^exactly!

The OSSC with additional scaling processing is great as a XRGB mini replacement, and you still get the regular lagless mode which I’ll affectionately dub “game mode”. Rotation is a nice option, but I fear it’ll be a gimmick to more serious gamers and ‘good enough’ to those who are maybe not so concerned with completely processed signals.

What’s more exciting to me is the HDMI input for scaling 1080p to 4K and perhaps 8K(?) down the line. The hardware looks beefy enough, proving that this is a good future proofing solution.
That’s what I’m more excited about. Rotation is just a novel option but I can’t see it being the holy grail of features.

I'm excited by the FPGA functionally and expansion header. This could be an all in one solution that replaces mister.
Unless the Cyclone V has integrated arm (soc), that wont be possible.

I don't think it will replace Mister, but will be a alternative on some cores.

What’s more exciting to me is the HDMI input for scaling 1080p to 4K and perhaps 8K(?) down the line. The hardware looks beefy enough, proving that this is a good future proofing solution.
That’s what I’m more excited about. Rotation is just a novel option but I can’t see it being the holy grail of features.
RGB 4k @ 60 Hz needs 594 MHz, and not sure the hw can do it. 4K for niche stuff is still quite tricky to do without costing a kidney.

Yep, I read in the thread that the current OSSC Pro hardware won’t support 4K output initially. Too bad - that’s my Number One Most Wanted feature on a new upscaler. Alas-hopefully in the near future.

Last edited:
I would love to get the de10 nano daughter-board provided its decent priced.

RGB 4k @ 60 Hz needs 594 MHz, and not sure the hw can do it. 4K for niche stuff is still quite tricky to do without costing a kidney.
hmm, I figured it would be possible in the future, but if that current spec isn’t beefy enough for 4K then I guess the HDMI is there as a passthrough? Then I guess the Pro is really gunning for an XRGB MINI replacement.

If there's no 4k what's the point?

Honestly, without that I can't see anyone bothering to upgrade. Rotation is whatever, it adds lag, therefore I don't care. Anything with lag goes in the "whatever" bucket for me. Nothing with lag even shows up on my radar anymore.

Last edited:
Edit: hmm. I think I've either misread something or mixed up information.

Yeah, if this OSSC Pro can do the 240p > 480i Switch really fast like the RAD2X, then I would be really interested. I am currently considering a second OSSC over the RAD2X due to utility. And since I attend gaming meets and tourneys, I like bringing my supergun and the Saturn along. But at those meets the Saturn would get kicked off the OSSC. :/

Back