What's new
RGB 4k @ 60 Hz needs 594 MHz, and not sure the hw can do it.
They are likely blanket labeling the output mode as 4k, but in reality I'll bet its a sub 4k resolution like 1600x1200.

I don't really care about the rotation, I grabbed a LCD mount that has a rotate mech in it... Sure its a pain in the ass to switch it around but I can.
As pointed out this rotation is going to add Framemeister levels (at least 16ms) of lag and I just don't feel that's a good trade off.

I will say this... I needed two more OSSCs anyway (the VLX L and bedroom TV) so now I'm really glad I waited.

Last edited by a moderator:
RGB 4k @ 60 Hz needs 594 MHz, and not sure the hw can do it.
They are likely blanket labeling the output mode as 4k, but in reality I'll bet its a sub 4k resolution like 1600x1200.
I don't really care about the rotation, I grabbed a LCD mount that has a rotate mech in it... Sure its a pain in the ass to switch it around but I can.
As pointed out this rotation is going to add Framemeister levels (at least 16ms) of lag and I just don't feel that's a good trade off.

I will say this... I needed two more OSSCs anyway (the VLX L and bedroom TV) so now I'm really glad I waited.
I'm not sure you can say that. The FM adds lag for sure, and I don't believe rotates, you need to add another device, which adds even more lag. The OSSC Pro should be able to do it all in one, with hopefully the lowest lag possible. If it is sub 20ms, are you even going to notice? I mean you already do your gaming on an LCD, so I assume you're good with some level of lag vs the original on a CRT?

That being said, devil's advocate, at least 16ms is the going in assumption, who knows what the rotation will ultimately end up adding. maybe it's like 40ms, we just won't know until it's out.

Ultimately though, how bad is 16ms? How many frames is that? I think for many people, it will be low enough not to affect gameplay.

And for your final comment, you're in luck, if you skip the OSSC Pro, the original will continue to be sold and they just did a price drop on it, so you can snag a couple now even cheaper!

Minimum lag that generally fast scalers add to rotate is a frame, 16ms. No reason that OSSC will need more time than that. Now if it does some magic and uses scanline buffering instead of frame buffering like MiSTer does it might have a lag of a couple of scanlines which is not noticeable. However scanline buffering might not be compatible with all LCDs.

1 frame of latency can be noticeable if you keep switching between CRT and LCD, but I doubt if you are playing only on LCD that you will ever notice it. 40ms of lag is def noticeable if you know how the game behaves.

I would have loved if it downscaled as well. 1080p to 240p quickly, that would have been an instant buy for me.

if you skip the OSSC Pro, the original will continue to be sold and they just did a price drop on it, so you can snag a couple now even cheaper!
I can skip one Pro, as my VLX can't even display 4k. But my B6 NEEDs that 4k support! ;)
Ultimately though, how bad is 16ms? How many frames is that? I think for many people, it will be low enough not to affect gameplay.
2 frames approx.
Bad enough that I sold my Framemeister after purchasing a OSSC.
I mean you already do your gaming on an LCD
Excatally! I don't need even 1ms of additional lag, I'm already dealing with some lag at the panel level.

Fair enough points, but for me, day one purchase! I have some non-shooter vert games where a tiny bit of lag won't make a difference (Gain Ground for example), but don't worry, I'm still hanging on to my CRTs and cabinets!

@jassin000 note that the OSSCP still won't support 4k, so don't hold off waiting for that!

note that the OSSCP still won't support 4k, so don't hold off waiting for that!
Won't support a full 4k no, but seeing as how the current OSSC supports sub 4k resolution (1600x1200) I am hopeful for another slight rez bump (getting closer to true 4k) with the pro.

Fair enough points, but for me, day one purchase! I have some non-shooter vert games where a tiny bit of lag won't make a difference (Gain Ground for example), but don't worry, I'm still hanging on to my CRTs and cabinets!

@jassin000 note that the OSSCP still won't support 4k, so don't hold off waiting for that!
Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.

Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.

Although looking further into it may require more ram and flash

Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.

Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.

I'm pretty sure he meant the FPGA "software" could be used with a different PCB with a different FPGA, when that day comes. BGA replacement is not something anyone does 'for fun', and requires specialized equipment - which is for the most part not something enthusiasts do or have.

Dude, its a 484 pin FBGA package.
That is not something you solder at home, or anywhere outside of pro manufacturing.

I'm positive the OSSC pro will be a fantastic piece of kit, but I think a lot of people may have their expectations set a little high as to features and price point.

Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.

Dude, its a 484 pin FBGA package. That is not something you solder at home, or anywhere outside of pro manufacturing.
Yeah that’s a lot of pins.. darn

I never got around to getting an OSSC because I already had the Framemeister for the ease of use and streaming benefits. Always was on the fence about getting one eventually. Now I can go in fresh with this Pro version. :thumbsup:

giphy.gif

Too bad it goes for expansions instead of integrating composite and s-video. At this point, I'm using RetroTINK 2X to give OSSC the inputs it lacks. I haven't RGB modded every retro system I own, so composite and s-video still get a fair amount of use. Getting an expansion is like getting the Tink. I wish for this to be the scaler to end all scalers. It's going the Framemeister way with the zooms and what have you, but I was really hoping for those inputs. Oh well. The regular OSSC will still last me years upon years.

Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.
Dude, its a 484 pin FBGA package. That is not something you solder at home, or anywhere outside of pro manufacturing.
Yeah that’s a lot of pins.. darn
The problem is not the pins, but that its BGA.

I was also thinking about that (higher than 60hz output by using a connector other than HDMI).
Lets focus on real 2160p first with HDR support... I'm afraid these alone will take the next decade to achieve.

Minimum lag that generally fast scalers add to rotate is a frame, 16ms. No reason that OSSC will need more time than that. Now if it does some magic and uses scanline buffering instead of frame buffering like MiSTer does it might have a lag of a couple of scanlines which is not noticeable. However scanline buffering might not be compatible with all LCDs.

1 frame of latency can be noticeable if you keep switching between CRT and LCD, but I doubt if you are playing only on LCD that you will ever notice it. 40ms of lag is def noticeable if you know how the game behaves.

I would have loved if it downscaled as well. 1080p to 240p quickly, that would have been an instant buy for me.
Ok, I’ll ask, why the hell do you want to scale 1080p to 240p? You realize that means eliminating a shit ton of pixels. It will never be good. You want to turn over 2 million pixels into around 77,000. You expect that to be good quality and instant? 1080 content was designed for high resolution. I can understand wanting to display sd content on a sd display, I have consoles connected to pvms, I can also understand upscaling because that works and can be nice and sharp and quick and look decent, but I can’t understand what you are asking for. If you really want to do it, there are processors out there and it sucks.

Last edited:
The main reason would be to scale modern ports down to CRT displays.

Battle Garegga as an example has a fantastic port on the PS4. So does Vasara, you could also play modern shmups like Crimzon Clover, Shinkondo etc.

Last edited:

Ok, I’ll ask, why the hell do you want to scale 1080p to 240p? You realize that means eliminating a shit ton of pixels. It will never be good. You want to turn over 2 million pixels into around 77,000. You expect that to be good quality and instant? 1080 content was designed for high resolution. I can understand wanting to display sd content on a sd display, I have consoles connected to pvms, I can also understand upscaling because that works and can be nice and sharp and quick and look decent, but I can’t understand what you are asking for. If you really want to do it, there are processors out there and it sucks.
People want to scale 240p to 1080p.

The problem is 1080 is not an integer of 240 ex: 240<480<720<960. The 4x integer is 960 which doesn’t fit into a 1080.

So you got these black bars on top and bottom of image, squeezed square pixels (improper aspect ratio), and if you are playing on a 4K device, you can pray to your 1080 to 4K built in upscaling gods.

The scaling to a 4K resolution would allow you a perfect 9x 4K {240x9=2160}

Allowing LCDs to display black bars on the side of their image instead of top and bottom.

If perfect scaling is achieved the aspect is still too narrow unfortunately.

Back