OSSC Pro, with ROTATION!

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • invzim wrote:

      RGB 4k @ 60 Hz needs 594 MHz, and not sure the hw can do it.
      They are likely blanket labeling the output mode as 4k, but in reality I'll bet its a sub 4k resolution like 1600x1200.

      I don't really care about the rotation, I grabbed a LCD mount that has a rotate mech in it... Sure its a pain in the ass to switch it around but I can.
      As pointed out this rotation is going to add Framemeister levels (at least 16ms) of lag and I just don't feel that's a good trade off.

      I will say this... I needed two more OSSCs anyway (the VLX L and bedroom TV) so now I'm really glad I waited.
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)

      The post was edited 1 time, last by jassin000 ().

    • jassin000 wrote:

      invzim wrote:

      RGB 4k @ 60 Hz needs 594 MHz, and not sure the hw can do it.
      They are likely blanket labeling the output mode as 4k, but in reality I'll bet its a sub 4k resolution like 1600x1200.
      I don't really care about the rotation, I grabbed a LCD mount that has a rotate mech in it... Sure its a pain in the ass to switch it around but I can.
      As pointed out this rotation is going to add Framemeister levels (at least 16ms) of lag and I just don't feel that's a good trade off.

      I will say this... I needed two more OSSCs anyway (the VLX L and bedroom TV) so now I'm really glad I waited.
      I'm not sure you can say that. The FM adds lag for sure, and I don't believe rotates, you need to add another device, which adds even more lag. The OSSC Pro should be able to do it all in one, with hopefully the lowest lag possible. If it is sub 20ms, are you even going to notice? I mean you already do your gaming on an LCD, so I assume you're good with some level of lag vs the original on a CRT?

      That being said, devil's advocate, at least 16ms is the going in assumption, who knows what the rotation will ultimately end up adding. maybe it's like 40ms, we just won't know until it's out.

      Ultimately though, how bad is 16ms? How many frames is that? I think for many people, it will be low enough not to affect gameplay.

      And for your final comment, you're in luck, if you skip the OSSC Pro, the original will continue to be sold and they just did a price drop on it, so you can snag a couple now even cheaper!
    • Minimum lag that generally fast scalers add to rotate is a frame, 16ms. No reason that OSSC will need more time than that. Now if it does some magic and uses scanline buffering instead of frame buffering like MiSTer does it might have a lag of a couple of scanlines which is not noticeable. However scanline buffering might not be compatible with all LCDs.

      1 frame of latency can be noticeable if you keep switching between CRT and LCD, but I doubt if you are playing only on LCD that you will ever notice it. 40ms of lag is def noticeable if you know how the game behaves.

      I would have loved if it downscaled as well. 1080p to 240p quickly, that would have been an instant buy for me.
      Bulti Moyz Retro Police
    • xtrasmiley wrote:

      if you skip the OSSC Pro, the original will continue to be sold and they just did a price drop on it, so you can snag a couple now even cheaper!
      I can skip one Pro, as my VLX can't even display 4k. But my B6 NEEDs that 4k support! ;)

      xtrasmiley wrote:

      Ultimately though, how bad is 16ms? How many frames is that? I think for many people, it will be low enough not to affect gameplay.
      2 frames approx.
      Bad enough that I sold my Framemeister after purchasing a OSSC.

      xtrasmiley wrote:

      I mean you already do your gaming on an LCD
      Excatally! I don't need even 1ms of additional lag, I'm already dealing with some lag at the panel level.
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)
    • xtrasmiley wrote:

      note that the OSSCP still won't support 4k, so don't hold off waiting for that!
      Won't support a full 4k no, but seeing as how the current OSSC supports sub 4k resolution (1600x1200) I am hopeful for another slight rez bump (getting closer to true 4k) with the pro.
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)
    • xtrasmiley wrote:

      Fair enough points, but for me, day one purchase! I have some non-shooter vert games where a tiny bit of lag won't make a difference (Gain Ground for example), but don't worry, I'm still hanging on to my CRTs and cabinets!

      @jassin000 note that the OSSCP still won't support 4k, so don't hold off waiting for that!
      Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.

      Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.

      Although looking further into it may require more ram and flash
    • hoagtech wrote:

      Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.

      Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.

      Although looking further into it may require more ram and flash
      I'm pretty sure he meant the FPGA "software" could be used with a different PCB with a different FPGA, when that day comes. BGA replacement is not something anyone does 'for fun', and requires specialized equipment - which is for the most part not something enthusiasts do or have.
      FOR SCIENCE! I make and sell the Jammafier & other stuff, irkenlabs.com
    • hoagtech wrote:

      xtrasmiley wrote:

      Fair enough points, but for me, day one purchase! I have some non-shooter vert games where a tiny bit of lag won't make a difference (Gain Ground for example), but don't worry, I'm still hanging on to my CRTs and cabinets!

      @jassin000 note that the OSSCP still won't support 4k, so don't hold off waiting for that!
      Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.
      Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.

      Although looking further into it may require more ram and flash
      Dude, its a 484 pin FBGA package.
      That is not something you solder at home, or anywhere outside of pro manufacturing.
    • buffi wrote:

      hoagtech wrote:

      xtrasmiley wrote:

      Fair enough points, but for me, day one purchase! I have some non-shooter vert games where a tiny bit of lag won't make a difference (Gain Ground for example), but don't worry, I'm still hanging on to my CRTs and cabinets!

      @jassin000 note that the OSSCP still won't support 4k, so don't hold off waiting for that!
      Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.

      Although looking further into it may require more ram and flash
      Dude, its a 484 pin FBGA package. That is not something you solder at home, or anywhere outside of pro manufacturing.
      Yeah that’s a lot of pins.. darn
    • Too bad it goes for expansions instead of integrating composite and s-video. At this point, I'm using RetroTINK 2X to give OSSC the inputs it lacks. I haven't RGB modded every retro system I own, so composite and s-video still get a fair amount of use. Getting an expansion is like getting the Tink. I wish for this to be the scaler to end all scalers. It's going the Framemeister way with the zooms and what have you, but I was really hoping for those inputs. Oh well. The regular OSSC will still last me years upon years.
    • hoagtech wrote:

      buffi wrote:

      hoagtech wrote:

      xtrasmiley wrote:

      Fair enough points, but for me, day one purchase! I have some non-shooter vert games where a tiny bit of lag won't make a difference (Gain Ground for example), but don't worry, I'm still hanging on to my CRTs and cabinets!

      @jassin000 note that the OSSCP still won't support 4k, so don't hold off waiting for that!
      Marqs did imply that when the fpga would drop in price that “this model” would be immediately ready for 4K expansion.Based on the design the fpga is not socketed though. There are plenty of talented solder folks who would take on the fpga installation.
      Although looking further into it may require more ram and flash
      Dude, its a 484 pin FBGA package. That is not something you solder at home, or anywhere outside of pro manufacturing.
      Yeah that’s a lot of pins.. darn
      The problem is not the pins, but that its BGA.
    • I was also thinking about that (higher than 60hz output by using a connector other than HDMI).
      Lets focus on real 2160p first with HDR support... I'm afraid these alone will take the next decade to achieve.
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)