What's new

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
If you have issues with your Multi and have checked everything that @xodaraP has kindly explained here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...ive-guide-to-fixing-your-cps2-multi-kit.7442/

then it's time to check the flashes. To do that, download the file attached, follow the instructions and let us know if you get an OK or ERROR on the LCD. IF you get an OK, it means that the path between microSD <--> ARM <--> Flashes works well.

If that's the case then most probably (and we are assuming that you tried with a different A+B board) the issue are the buffers/level shifters:

The exact model of the level shifter is: SN74LVC4245A
The level shifters involved in the Qsound BUS are: U66, U67, U68, U69 and U70.
The level shifters involved in the Sound Program Rom are: U71, U74 and U76.
The level shifters involved in the 68k Program Rom are: U55, U56, U57, U58 and U59.
The level shifters involved in the GFX BUS re: U34, U35, U36, U37, U38, U39, U40, U47, U48, U49, U50, U51, U52 and U53.

IMPORTANT! There are a lot of counterfait chips around, specially eBay. Make sure to check this thread: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/counterfeit-sn74lvc4245-ics.19409/

Feel free to post here your issues.

Attachments

• Testing folders for Troublehooting.zip
    103 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Thanks for this test romset!
I have long since accepted that my multi (that previously worked for a long time without problems)
https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...em-with-a-working-cps2-multi.7508/post-144156
is dead for good (warranty ending).
I've just run a test romset and the sequence is always the same: flash writing->veryfing->programming key->all OK, have fun ->Now playing 1010101010

Does it mean that problems with my multi are out of the kit?

Thank you

You need to test 2 romsets: 01010101 and 10101010. If both play well, that means that microSD reading is OK, 99% ARM is OK and everything between flash and ARM is also OK.
Problem can be on the B Board or can be on the multi, maybe the buffers as it's explained in the 1st post, maybe something else.
In any case, all the CPS2 kits are thoroughly tested before shipping, if one kits get broken is something weird, two kits on the same person very very weird and 3 or more, that means that the problem is with his setup or power installation, PSU, etc.
I would change those buffers and give it a try.

01010101 works fine too
btw - after this test I flashed multi with game program - and it booted without issue - but only till next reset.
Ok - thank you - I'll try figured out buffers/shifters issue...

@Darksoft The model number of the level shifter is SN74LVC4245A but what type?

APWT or ADWR?

My multi is getting worse with age, now it wont post sound at all and just today stopped running games at all, just a solid color screen.
The test roms verify fine, no errors show on the LCD after verifying.

Last edited:
@Darksoft Multi sound cutting out or hanging

Tested with another A board and did a rom swap and key write with Vampire Saviour rom chips on my B boards.
The multi just gets worse every time I get a chance to turn it on. No sound at all this time except the ocassional high pitch beeping for a second or 2 on boot. Then after 10 power cycles no game will boot, was doing wierd shit like booting straight to the dont do drugs screen and hanging.
Tired of checking every connection with a multimeter only to find it's all connected perfectly.
Only ever worked well for about a month before starting to have issues, has been in storage most of its life. Used multiple power supplies, and via HAS. Always taken care of it.

If you are completely sure that the error is coming from the multi and not from either A or B Board, then I would suggest to check this thread
The Definitive Guide to Fixing Your CPS2 Multi Kit
and if nothing of that works, do the following:
* try a different microSD, fresh formatted.
* If you are good at soldering, try replacing the level shifters as explained here: Multi sound cutting out or hanging

If not, then problem is somewhere else and it's hard to say. Try reworking the chips to discard a mechanical problem. Maybe some of the local guys @xodaraP can help you on that.
If all that fails, you can send to @Mitsurugi-w and he can have a look, but there is no guarantee that it will be fixed, just be aware.

The issue is the Multi, it's not my SD card or anything as you should know both test roms verified fine, and its not even required after a successful flash.
You relinked my thread that I already linked in my last comment as a recommendation lol.

A rework may be in order as the board has been flexed a bit with all this removing and what not to verify B board functionality.

AA72DCD9-A24D-4195-BAE0-F54CCDE38F83.jpeg

Any chance this lifted pin on U35 the cause of my video issues?

Unfortunately, resoldering that pin fixed nothing. The image is a lil crisper, but still got the black bars. No matter what I do. Anybody I can send it to take a look at it? Or should I bite the bullet and send it back to HighScoreSave for a refund?

Back