What's new

nassekova

Grand Master
Reaction score
I bought a Tengai PCB from this forum and got a video where it is up and running and it all looked good. Today when the courier got me the PCB, first thing I noticed is that it misses a large capacitor ?(

I mean, this is usually stuff you inform when you are selling boards or is it custom in here to sell stuff in full price when there are parts missing? X/

Well the board it selfs seems to work "all right", but I can't believe that the cap was there for no reason at all... Usually these larger capacitors have something to do with the power side (filtering, keeping things steady ), so I would really like to know what kind of cap it was, so I could replace it my self, rather than run the board with out it.

So does any one here have a Tengai board where they could check the voltage and uf value of the large cap missing on the picture? I tried to google schematics but could not find any on quick try.

And just now when I pasted this here, I noticed there is another cap missing on the C7 near the JAMMA edge.

tengai.jpeg

missing_cap.jpeg

tengai_live.jpeg

That's a rough looking board. In this case, looks like the caps are for the sound circuit.

C18: 2200u 16v
C7: 100u 16v

By the way, my board has a high pitched squeal that I'd like fixed if anyone knows. I've already changed caps. I've heard amp could be it.

That's a rough looking board. In this case, looks like the caps are for the sound circuit.

C18: 2200u 16v
C7: 100u 16v

By the way, my board has a high pitched squeal that I'd like fixed if anyone knows. I've already changed caps. I've heard amp could be it.
Thank you! Yeah, this board needs some good cleaning and I'll need to re-cap it. At least for now on I know better not to buy stuff without seeing some high detail pictures first. Collectors forum or not, people really seem to have variety of standards on what they consider good condition and what things should be mentioned before the deal...

OK, if you bought that board from someone here and they claimed good condition, I have to ask who that was? That is not good condition.

It was @ArcSys101 but actually he never said those words "good condition". I just assumed since he said it is original, working good and showed me the video where the game was running. I just assumed that in collectors forums you would mention things like this and they would be considered on the price. Clearly assuming on the internet is never a good idea ;)

But it is ok now. I chat with him and he refunded me some of the money to compensate the condition. I am happy with the purchase now!

Thank you for your time and consideration , i have send or sold a lot of pc boards some of them are really clean , but yet since no pictures of the board just video is make thing do look ok working condition.

Manage to send some of the boards that i have with pictures and you will that all of them are clean but not to clean enough, i dont want to mess out of it , even some tutorial of running them clean with water it might kill the boards.

Some of my items or cps2's or the last Psikyo Gunbird2 that i have is a very clean board .

But thank you for the consideration and hope we can made some other deals in the future.

Started to clean this board today! I was at the office pretty late today so did not have that much time on this, but at least I got those old capacitors off. Cleaned and scrubbed the backside pretty good (toothbrush + IPA) and started with the front, but will continue from here tomorrow. And it was not just a dirt, some of these capacitors had leaked like they tend to do when they are 25 years old. One capacitor lost it's leg just by picking it up... Going to get some nice low ESR Panasonics on this when I get it clean enough :saint:

Luckily those ceramics are on pretty solid legs and they had been spared on the most of the cap acid. Got them up and cleaned pretty good.

And on top of that, there was some gasoline? on the bubblewrap where this board was sent, and there was a small amount of that on the board too. Had to clean that shit extra carefully.

This first picture is from the resistor in the middle of the caps 8o

things.jpg

jynsjyns.jpeg

iv_seen_some_shit.jpeg

konkan_jalka.jpeg

ei_samaksi_uskos.jpeg

Yea, sound worked. Dunno if there are some extra sounds that were missing because of the capacitors or are they just for the volume and filtering. Need keep an ear on the "high pitched squeal" that @streetfighterken mentioned. All I know that can be part of the reason why those caps were removed in the first place or something. Need to test it with all the new caps and if the sound is somehow worse, then drop these two out.

I thing the picture was a bit bright compared to my other boards, so I expect the contrast be better when I get new caps in on the place were these old were. I can measure the levels of the old ones if you guys are interested how they still hold? Measurement with multi-meter is never a guarantee that old caps work. I'v had Pioneer LaserActive die on me because of a PSU cap that I measured and it was "good" and in a week it blew off. But at least if the values are way off, you know it's dry and faulty.

Got this cleaned up now! With new caps it plays, looks and sounds really good 8)

That "wet splash" on the back is a new coating of electronics lacquer. That gasoline melted some of the old so I fixed that too.

It seems that volume is now higher but not sure if there are any additional sounds with these sound caps in it. That volume might also be a placebo effect since I really didn't listen to the board that keen earlier :D Well, anyways really happy how it came out!

puhhhhtas.jpeg

konkkaa_001.jpeg

tengai_001.jpeg

kill.jpeg

Back