What's new

Cloggerdude

Student
Reaction score
I'm picking up a Super Neo 29 candy cab this weekend and I've been trying to get everything ready before I pick it up. I plan on using a J-PAC to connect to a MiSTer setup. There is currently a 4-slot board in the cab, so I also grabbed a JNX Big Red Adapter.

I've searched and searched, but I'm just having a horrible time figuring out exactly how all this is going to work. I assume it's going to be:

MiSTer > VGA/USB output to J-PAC
J-PAC > JNX Big Red Adapter
JNX > CRT/Controls

My questions are:

1) The JAMMA standard won't necessarily support all of my buttons (4x 2 players + select), correct? How will I wire up the additional buttons?
2) This may be related to #1, but will I just plug the JNX into the J-PAC?
3) Audio. I asked this in another thread and people said: "Just get an amp", but I cannot figure out how this is supposed to work. Especially since JAMMA is only mono, but MVS supports stereo. I want to use the cab's internal speakers if possible.

I think that's pretty much it. I know this is all probably not that complicated, but I just can't wrap my head around it. I appreciate any help.

Edit: To complicate things, I found a thread on here where someone was talking about not using the J-PAC, because it negatively impacts video quality, but I couldn't understand a word they were saying about the way they were doing it. Any thoughts on alternatives there?

@acblunden2 I found the thread where you were talking about an alternative to the J-PAC. From what I gather, I'll just need a couple of these: Zero Delay Encoders for the controls. Those will then connect to the MiSTer via USB.

Where I get confused is the video part. I tried reading through your post here about the video, but I just don't fully understand how to make it work. I know the J-PAC would be easier, and I've already bought it, but if I could get better quality through another option, I would obviously prefer that. I think I can figure out the audio portion.

Quality is a relative term. Most of the folks here are wine snob-like arcade hobbyists and have come to learn what is good video and what is not.

Personally, I find J-Pac to lack contrast. But that is me. You might just be perfectly happy with it and since you already bought it, might as well use it. Don't go for perfect out of the gate. Movement>perfection.

You can always upgrade later. If you do, check out this: (Pre-Orders Open Now) Console JAMMAizer! Easily connect home consoles to your JAMMA arcade cabinet.

Back