What's new

Morden

Student
Reaction score
I have a Oedo Fight board, which is the censored version of the game [no blood, no gore, no fatalities]. I'd like to convert it to the "bloodshed" version, which is ten times more fun because of how ridiculous the gore is. The Western version is called Blood Warrior for a reason. Anyway, the game is actually two PCBS layered on top of each other. All of the ROMs are on the bottom one. Only three are socketed:
Oedo01.jpg
Oedo02.jpg

Looking at MAME files, I found ofd0x3.124 in a bloodwar.zip [CRC32 2BEC7EFD]. It's 131,072 bytes. The later two are found in oedofight.zip [CRC32 7D0D4651], which contains only three files:

Code:
     FILE NAME     |   CRC32  |  BYTES
-----------------------------------------
 of-101-j-0224.101 | 83A1F826 | 1,048,576
 ofp0j3.514        | 0C93DA15 | 524,288
 ofp1j3.513        | CC59DE49 | 524,288
The Western release is uncensored as well. I can't find the censored Oedo Fight dump at the moment, so I only have the Blood Warrior to compare against. Some MAME files don't duplicate files, but only include those that differ from what's considered a "base release". So ,while ofd0x3.124 seems to be shared across these boards, ofp0j3.514 and ofp1j3.513 are exclusive to the Japanese version. The question is, where is the blood and gore hiding. Knowing my luck, it's in the unsocketed of-101-j-0224.101. Does anyone have the Oedo Fight ROM that is NOT the "bloodshed" one? It's easy enough to check. Just hit the opponent, and if there's any blood, it's uncensored.

Also, why would you socket only these three? My initial guess was that socketed ROMs were what's different between versions, to make production easier.

This looks insanely horrible in a good way.
Trash fighters are always a ton of fun.
Following.

Last edited:
This looks insanely horrible in a good way.
Trash fighters are always a ton of fun.
Following.
I really love this game, truly and unironically. Used to play it with friends all the time, which was insane. Sure, it's severely broken in the balance department, but man, it's so much fun.

The mame driver will show you what files are the same between games, just look at the crc values. Bloodshed is enabled in either test menu under "Memory Switch Setup". Pretty sure all you need is one rom swap, socketed ofp1j3.513 <-> ofp1f3.513 to change between games

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blo...6d1bca236/src/mame/drivers/kaneko16.cpp#L2919
That would mean swapping a file from the Japanese set to a file from the Blood Warrior set? I'm ordering some 27C4000s and 27C010s as I type this. I guess with China's shipping times, we'll find out in about a month.

It's weird that MAME doesn't even have the non-bloodshed version listed as an available ROM set variant, which it obviously is, because I have a board of this version. It lacks the violence settings in the test mode menu.

0001.png
0003.jpg

As you can see, everything is, oddly enough, under "memory switch set up", a section that my board completely lacks.

Attachments

• 0002.png
    0002.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 187
I have that romset/abomination too, actually. It's not in mame. In that case you'll need two 27c4001 or equivalent, and you will need to swap the 513 and 514 chips to whichever you want... western or japan version.

I guess I want to check out this game now... thanks a lot! :P

Also, can you guys get your version sent to the MAME team for inclusion in MAME? I know it's lame, but it's about preserving the program and all.

I guess I want to check out this game now... thanks a lot! :P

Also, can you guys get your version sent to the MAME team for inclusion in MAME? I know it's lame, but it's about preserving the program and all.
It seems like it doesn't need to be sent to MAME, because the ROMs are already out there as parts of either Blood Warrior or Oedo Fight Bloodshed sets. If I understand this correctly, it's a different ROM arrangement. Either way, I can dump the socketed ROMs and CRC them against the MAME set just to be sure.

Status update! Finally got the chips and I have to say, I wish all of my projects went this smoothly. The conversion is officially a success! All I had to do was to replace ofp1j3.513 and ofp0j3.514 with the Bloodshed ROMs. Two 27C4001s, a MiniPRO, MAME Bloodshed files and it's done. I posted some images on Twitter for those interested. This also gives me the Bloodshed menu with all of its crazy violence settings.

Back