What's new

Solmin

Professional
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to replace mask roms on a phoenixed AVP. I downloaded the mame files and found the two files I want to burn. I confirmed the chip is showing up blank. I picked up M27c4002's. I set the device and keep getting write failed over and over on the buffer. I have tried different speeds and they all bomb out.
Any tips?

thanks!

mask roms on AVP are not m27c4002, they should be M27C160. Are you talking about the program roms 3-10? If so, what brand are you using?

I was trying sockets 3 and 4. The japanese ones are 27c4096g-12. I was trying to change it to english.

Ok, those are program roms. Yes you should be able to burn as m27c4002, but that particular rom burner is picky with rom model, jumpers and adapter boards.

Just to be sure, are you using the ADP-054 16bit adapter board? Do you have the jumper setting correct on the adapter board?

Thanks! I am using the ADP-054 and J1 is jumpered for 1-2. It's definately able to read that the chips are blanked. I then load the file and then try to write and that's when it bombed out. I tried multiple chips. I was doing a blank check and then write but then it wasn't writing anything. If I don't get much progress I may concede and just have buyic just burn the roms for me but I thought it would be fun to try to burn some. I think it's possible the adapter is broken. When I attach it it doesnot appear to detect it and it still shows adapter needed. Is that normal?

Last edited:
I had just purchased a GQ-4x4 from Amazon and what you describe was happening to me too. I just got fed up and returned it. Sticking to my TL866 Plus II.

Make sure the adapter is lined up on the socket. It should start from the bottom and the top two rows should be open. When it's not properly aligned on the GQ 4x4 socket it'll allow you to read roms but fail when writing.

You can also try external power to the device, but I've never had any issues burning roms just utilizing USB with mine

Try burning it as a 27c4096 or 27c240. It's been a while since I burned one of these, but if I recall correctly the software for the GQ 4x4 is just broken when it comes to the 27c4002. You will probably need to turn off the ID check for it to work.

I used the Gq4X4 to burn some cps2 roms and was able to do so. The only problem was I had a jumper wrong on the adapter board, once I caught it everything worked fine. Perhaps post a picture of your adapter board with the rom in place and I can compare it to mine.

Here's the image.
https://ibb.co/s2qqt8m

I tried burning as 27c4096 and 27c240 and they both failed.
I put in one of the program chips from the cps2 and I confirmed it read data in the buffer. When I replaced it with the c4002 they just show up blank.

I'm going to see if an AC adapter helps.

You should be able to change the write speed within the gq software. Try lowering the speed to zero, I think it's set to +3 for these chips.

I tried all the write speeds it bombed out on them all. Waiting on a ac adapter.

I don't use a power adapter and I was just burning some 27c4001 with no problems. Here is a picture of my set up. Try these jumper settings.

Attachments

• 20200121_223806.jpg
    20200121_223806.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 178
Back