What's new
Which chips are the SRAM? I don't have a hot air station but I guess I could lift them off leg-by-leg like I did with MVS BIOS and solder new ones in if they still are available. I can also trace the other GAL if new SRAM won't fix the issue.

The Winbond chips should be SRAM chips - I would seriously try the safe and easy things first, though!

Sure thing boss :thumbup:

So I will measure the continuity from u15 socket to those SRAM chips (3x Windbonds), both larger EPROMS and cartridge edge and BIOS?

So I will measure the continuity from u15 socket to those SRAM chips (3x Windbonds), both larger EPROMS and cartridge edge and BIOS?
Yes. Though the connection is most likely going to one of the logic chips, instead of the SRAM directly.

I expect most connections go to the cartridge edge and U8.

I will check them tomorrow and we can continue from there then!

Ok, here we go again!

I measured the u15 and the results are in the picture. I started to wonder why there was 0 connections to SRAM and it seems that u14 is the one that connects to SRAM! So updatet those SRAM connections to u14 too.

Here is what I got out of u15. Arrows are again on the other side of the cartridge edge. It also connected to u14 two times.
u15.jpeg

And here are those SRAM connections from the u14. I just draw them to one of the chips since they seem to share the connections.
u14_added.jpeg

Let's see if I can translate that into a pinout:
U14:
2 TA18
3 TA19
4 TA20
5 TA21
6 TA22
8 U20 ~OE
10 U15 Pin 8
12 GND
14 INT_T_ROM_OE
15 T_ROM_OE
16 I_TA18
17 I_TA19
18 I_TA20
19 I_TA21
21 U15 Pin 7
24 VCC

U15:
1 AS
2 PA16
3 PA23
4 PA22
5 PA21
6 PA20
7 U14 Pin 21
8 U14 Pin 10
12 GND
20 U8 A19
22 U8 OE
23 INT_P_ROM_OE
24 VCC

Are you sure about the one that goes from U14 Pin 8 to U20 Pin 22? Both should be inputs, so connecting them together doesn't do anything, unless they are connected to another output somewhere.
Also, what about U14 Pin 10 to U15 Pin 8? Both are inputs as well. (Pins 1-11 and 13 of a 22V10 are hardwired as inputs, the rest can be inputs or outputs.)

Are you sure about the one that goes from U14 Pin 8 to U20 Pin 22? Both should be inputs, so connecting them together doesn't do anything, unless they are connected to another output somewhere.
Also, what about U14 Pin 10 to U15 Pin 8? Both are inputs as well. (Pins 1-11 and 13 of a 22V10 are hardwired as inputs, the rest can be inputs or outputs.)
I will double check those two after work today but I am pretty sure they were connected (unless I mistakenly draw them to wrong places, but I doubt). I can also check if they (U14 pin 8 and pin 10) are connected to some edge or EPROM or BIOS too.

- U14 Pin goes to U20 Pin 21, not 22! (it is 7th pin from the right, at least I tried to point it in there :D ).

- U14 Pin 10 to U15 Pin 8 connects. I then traced where they connect and it seems to be this X6 chip. Here is a picture where it goes in there.
X6.jpeg

I didn't have time to look at this right now... I was planning to get out one of my other cartridges to see if the ASIC pin is connected somewhere.

I guess even in the worst case that the ASIC is fried someone is going to work out how to make the game work without it, and you can resurrect the cart just with a new EPROM.

Yea sure. Didn't meant to sound ungrateful or hurry you, I know you guys have other things on your plate too. It is just taking some of my work space so I will pack that cartridge from my desk now and when ever you or anyone else with the know-how gets a time to look on this matter just post here and I will continue with it :thumbup:

@Fluffy any change you got your Bee Storm back and would perhaps have time fo this again? Just found that cartridge again and I have time to test different stuff. Seems that we have lost the earlier pictures but I think that pinout is correct you made earlier!

Did this got any good ending?

Asking because I recently swapped new caps to my Bee Storm and now all I get is the normal start up routine and then black screen. There was some flakiness in the cart before, but now it completely refuses to start up.

Nope, I forgot the whole thing and it seems that @Fluffy did too :D So if Fluffy has time to dump those GALs we can continue!

I've got it on my desk next to me, but so far I was too lazy to put together the dumping jig...

I got my jig working again, though so far I've got only a working FN_U15. The FN_U14 I made just crashes with an ASIC error. I'll have to check tomorrow if one of the io pins is used as input or tristate, or if I just made a bad dump.

Edit: Be careful with ATF22V10, they have a different programming algorithm than other GAL, and my programmer enables a power save feature. Lattice 22V10 should work, though you can only get new-old-stock.

Attachments

• FN_U15.zip
    16.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Yeah we tried a few more things with atf22v10 and still haven't gotten them to work perfectly with some of our multis.

Back