opt2not

Multi Boyz Pixeler
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Does it look like this?
F0EA0953-DB15-41D9-AC3C-7B6D79DC64C0.jpeg

I booted up my battery Third Strike last nice night and was greeted to this. ;(
I’ve tried cleaning the cart’s edge with isopropyl, reinserted it multiple times, made sure the voltage coming in was on point. Still nothing but this screen.

The last time my battery was changed was about 5 years ago by @Mitsurugi-w. Could it have suicided?
FBB873BD-D912-41B7-A899-E4394DAA0284.jpeg

That does look like suicide. Sorry.

Regardless try cleaning the cart contacts very well and test again.

Did a thorough cleaning of the cart with a q-tip and isopropyl, still no change. ||

These carts can be resurrected though, right?

Yikes, how often are batteries supposed to be changed on CPS3? I've had CPS2 boards on 20+ year old batteries still working, and my cps3 still had it's original battery from the 90's when it was changed last year. Is it just really bad luck?

As far as I'm aware there is no way to inject the original code back in. Superbios is the best we can do. As for the batteries I assume they last so long original was because they were in use and did not draw much from the battery. Most collector? (Myself anyway) only play once in awhile as I mainly use the superbios cart. This remind me I should change my batteries.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to inject the original code back in.
giphy.gif

Yikes, how often are batteries supposed to be changed on CPS3?
Most collector? (Myself anyway) only play once in awhile as I mainly use the superbios cart.
Yeah it's most likely because I hadn't powered it up in a while, that it probably lost its charge faster than it would if it were frequently used.

Ugh, I was worried this day would come.
I'm going to open the cart up and see if there is anything else I can do before declaring it fully suicided.

This really sucks!

It's suicided. No question there

Battery dying is the most likely culprit, but these carts suicide if you look at them funny. They are horribly sensitive.

I recently installed SuperBIOS onto 2 battery carts that were working perfectly, 1 died mid way through an installation/game change and the other died directly after that when swapped in.

SuperBIOS makes them quite a bit more reliable in my experience so SuperBIOS all the way for me.

Did a thorough cleaning of the cart with a q-tip and isopropyl, still no change. ||

umm is that a us cart or japanese cart. I think back in 2014 I was able to have a few carts repaired by sending them to capcom jp via riverservice.... I think it was riverservice might have been someone else I'll look into it. Has to be a japanese cart though

Just get mitsurugi to install superbios for you. Identical gameplay. Plus you already have a sweet 3rd strike label.

I’m convinced the battery gets trickle charged from regular play. The guys at siren records in Doylestown PA are still running an original 3rd strike, but their versus city gets turned on every day and the machine runs all day during business hours

This is my 3rd strike display same with the new generation cartridge

Attachments

• received_2482590401796656.jpeg
    received_2482590401796656.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 242

umm is that a us cart or japanese cart. I think back in 2014 I was able to have a few carts repaired by sending them to capcom jp via riverservice.... I think it was riverservice might have been someone else I'll look into it. Has to be a japanese cart though
Capcom Japan no longer services the carts at all.

Of course they can be resurrected. Just have the Darksoft superbios installed and it will run forever.

If you're worried about original game code, honestly @BlinG has two cps3's one with Japanese original and other with superbios. I've played both and don't notice any bit of difference between the two as far as gameplay.

Thanks guys, I’m talking to mitsurugi-w about getting it superBios’d.

Just get mitsurugi to install superbios for you. Identical gameplay. Plus you already have a sweet 3rd strike label.

I’m convinced the battery gets trickle charged from regular play. The guys at siren records in Doylestown PA are still running an original 3rd strike, but their versus city gets turned on every day and the machine runs all day during business hours
The batteries are disposable, there is no trickle charge. If played regularly there is possibly slightly less drain? I don't think it works that way but it might?

The batteries can also be replaced and the game continues to run on battery, so it's entirely possible the PA guys know that and have had the battery replaced

Why do you want to have a battery? It can leak anytime and you will lose your board forever.

Why do you want to have a battery? It can leak anytime and you will lose your board forever.
some people are purists and want everything original. I personally don’t care as long as the game is running on original hardware, but I get that people want it all stock.

The batteries are disposable, there is no trickle charge. If played regularly there is possibly slightly less drain? I don't think it works that way but it might?

The batteries can also be replaced and the game continues to run on battery, so it's entirely possible the PA guys know that and have had the battery replaced
the owner of the cab/board claims it’s original

Back