What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
This has probably been documented on other forums. I have seen pictures, but no parts list or instructions. Lots of people in this hobby don't have proper soldering irons. This was created sans soldering iron and took about 15 minutes to put together. The total cost was $10.70 USD.

Parts List
$1.95 - 30cm 2.54mm 1P-1P jumper cable jumpers for Arduino optional Wire Dupont
$1.06 - IDE Coupler Joiner 40pin 40 pin Male to male Adapter UK
$0.39 - New 4Pin IDE ATA Power Supply to Floppy Drives Adapter Cable Computer
$1.21 - Compact Flash CF to 3.5 Female 40 Pin IDE Bootable Adapter Converter Card New SC
$6.10 - HPDB 50F/IDC 50M, IN./EX., Adapter

Some of these things I bought in packs. For me that is fine as I plan on building at least 5 Naomi cabs. But if you are just building one, buy them individually if you can which will cost you slightly more. I actually bought the wrong CF adapter. This necessitated buying the IDE couplers listed above. This accident ended up saving me a few bucks overall. But you don't need the IDE coupler if you buy the right CF adapter. Which is this one here. If you have connectors to power the CF adapter, you can eliminate the 4Pin IDE ATA Power Supply as well. Perhaps cut the floppy power supply off an older computer PSU or if you have the right JST/Molex connectors laying around use that instead. All these parts take some time to come in from China (about 2 weeks) but well worth the wait. Once you have your parts, head over to here.
  1. You can download this spreadsheet I put together View attachment 1227, or put it together yourself if you are good at working with Excel/Libre Office.
    • SKIP THESE STEPS IF USING THE ATTACHED SPREADSHEET
    • Copy the table on the bottom of this page to a spreadsheet like in Excel or Libre Office
    • Under the SCSI-2 Pin column, delete all the rows under the number 50
    • Now delete all the columns leaving only the SCSI-2 Pin & IDE Pin columns.
    • Do not resort the remaining columns.
    • END OF SKIP-ABLE STEPS
  2. Split off 18 strands of the 30cm 2.54mm 1P-1P jumper cable jumpers for Arduino optional Wire Dupont to make things easier to work with. Leave the 18 wires still bundled together.
  3. On the SCSI adapter, work on the top row of the adapter first starting from pin 1 (the notch/keyed side), connect a jumper wire to the pin if it is used. If not, skip over it. Do not skip any wires. Connect them in sequence. Just skip over pins if they are not used. Make sure to connect the jumper wires in sequence, one after the other. Otherwise, you will have to rewire it. I made that mistake a few times.
  4. Notice, while there are 25 pins in this row, only 18 of those pins will be connected.
  5. SCSI_Row1.jpg
  6. You are now done with the top row (pins 1-25).
  7. Strip off 17 wires from the remaining jumper bundle, leaving them still attached to one another together. Discard the rest (save these for another unknown purpose, if you will).
  8. Now repeat on the bottom row starting from pin 26 with the other half of the jumper wires. Keep in mind, connect the jumper wires in sequence. Skip pins, but do not skip wires.
  9. You'll end up with something like this:
  10. Front SCSI
  11. Front.JPG
  12. Back SCSI
  13. Back.JPG
  14. Notice that the jumper wires are fanned out smoothly. There are no criss-crossed jumper wires. The jumper wires are connected to the SCSI pins in sequence.
  15. Now for the connection to the IDE CF Adapter which will look like this when done:
  16. IDESIDE.JPG
  17. You'll notice on this side things do not look as smooth as on the SCSI side. This is due to the sequence of the pin connections and the fact that the odd/even numbered IDE pins are on alternate rows. No point making this side look pretty, it just isn't possible. Maybe if you are a stickler, add shrink tubing over it to make it look cleaner.
  18. TIP, add a marker on the side of the IDE pins where pins 1 & 2 are located (I used a piece of blue painter's tape). This way as you are flipping the card over to connect the jumper wires to the pins, you have a reference point to count the pins off from.
  19. Tape.JPG
  20. Mark off the rows in the spreadsheet as you go so you know where you are at at all times if you are lost. Once again, go in sequence.
  21. You'll end up with this:
  22. solderless.JPG
    Here is another shot of it:
  23. view.JPG
  24. Now connect your IDE power adapter to the IDE CF adapter and give this thing a whirl. If all is well, then secure the jumper wire connections with hot glue or electrical tape or however else you want to do it.
Troubleshooting:

Make sure you have the jumper wires connected to the right connector pins. That is why you need to go in sequence as you connect to both the SCSI and IDE side. If the pins are connected correctly, make sure you have setup the jumpers on your Dimm board correctly. Make sure you are using your software correctly. Make sure you are feeding the right power to the CF adapter. Check the pin voltages here and use a multimeter. As a last step, since these are Chinese parts, may be necessary depress the pin connectors in the jumper housings to get a solid connection to the pins.

That's it!

One thing I noticed with these CF readers is that they need an external SCSI 50 pin cable to connect to your Naomi. These things tend to be another cost and take up space in your cab. I am going to improve on this by removing that cable and some other parts in my next posts.

Last edited:
DIY Internal CF Reader

I take no credit for this. This idea and all the info came from 69mustang from the shoryuken forums on this thread. When I found his post, I didn't want to bump and old thread, so I PM'ed him. He was gracious enough to answer my questions about his project some two plus years after he posted about it on shoruyken.

What he achieved was to mount an IDE CF card adapter into this Dimm to give it an old school consolized feel. It requires soldering, but if done successfully, I feel solves a few of issues. There is no need for a SCSI cable which would eliminate a lot of errors. There is no need to power the reader externally. It reduces space. On top of solving these issues, it would reduce expenses greatly. The only thing you would need is some time, a $5 IDE CF adapter, some wire, and some soldering tools. No SCSI cable needed (-$20). No CF Reader needed (-$100). Here is a couple of pics from 69mustangs' post:

vvu70vk.jpg
PtSklMp.jpg

Firstly, on the Dimm, he desoldered the SCSI external connector. Here is what the pinout on the Dimm board looks like. From there, he wired the Dimm's SCSI pinout either directly to the IDE CF adapter's pins, or he desoldered the IDE CF adapter's connector, then wired it to the IDE pinout board using the mapping posted above (or from Otaku). I am sure he used super thin wire gauge for this, then tacked it down with some hot glue.

As for powering the IDE CF adapter, he gave me a photo showing where he harnessed 5vdc off the Dimm board to power the IDE CF adapter.

5VPinout.jpg

Once done, it is just a matter of mounting the IDE CF adapter in the place where the Dimm's external SCSI adapter once sat. Personally, I have never tackled this project. It is on my to-do list but a forum member asked me about, so I am posting this info now.

Last edited:
Want to document it here. Great forum we have. Nice to have centralized place for the info since this place is about projects. Personally, it took hours of Google-fu for me to arrive at those links you posted.

Last edited:
Nope
In part because people call the port on the DIMM SCSI when it is COMPLETELY UNRELATED.
It's basically an IDE over HD50 interface.
This is why all you have to do is wire the CF adapter to a viable plug, there's no active logic in the adapter.

Yeah I have come to realize that . The references to "SCSI" is what threw me off completely . Nothing SCSI about it

I followed the pinout on the arcade otaku wiki but I seem to get nothing but a black screen. If I boot with the scsi unplugged, then plug it in and go to test mode and try a dimm test it'll just time out. Dunno what's going on. Don't think I've made a mistake in my wiring.

I've noticed that it will boot into a black screen when I have a scsi cable with nothing plugged into the other side plugged into my dimm.

Last edited:
Are you using the Capcom I/O? If so, are you using a standard arcade power supply? Pics of your setup would help too.

No I'm using a seperate power supply (not a sun tho). It should be sufficient enough since I've seen it power a netboot naomi. I'm using Cisco CF cards which I heard should work.

Shouldn't I just continue to get error 25 when I have a scsi cable plugged into my dimm and nothing else? Maybe my scsi cable is at fault?

Last edited:
Wait, so u have a black screen or errors? Do you see the boot screens at all, then a black screen?

I get a black screen when I either have the scsi cable plugged in to nothing but my dimm or my cf adapter and dimm. I get error 25 when booting with nothing plugged into the dimm.

Maybe bad burns of your CF cards? I don't know. Start a separate thread and ask for help.

Thank you
But could you share your spreadsheet again? The link does not work…

Reactions: GEL
Back