What's new

keiichi331

Professional
Reaction score
Greetings!

I have a japanese Naomi 1 and i just ordered a CF kit + Ikaruga from Mitsu. I'm powering the mobo through the capcom i/o and im powering the CF kit through my psu with a line from 5v and Ground. Everything boots and loads up but im always getting an Error 21. According to arcade-otaku wiki

Error 21

Display: THIS GAME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY MAIN BOARD.
Cause: Game data (loaded from the GD-ROM to the DIMM board) are corrupted. The NAOMI 2 GD-ROM disk is used with the NAOMI main board.
Countermeasures: Make sure that the GD-ROM drive is firmly connected to the NAOMI board. Make sure that the GD-ROM disk is not scratched or contaminated. The NAOMI 2 GD-ROM disk software cannot run with the NAOMI main board. If you want to run the NAOMI 2 GD-ROM disk software, replace the NAOMI main board with the NAOMI 2 main board.

Not sure what the issue could be. Things i've tried:
1. Ran ram test on Naomi Mobo 1, and all was pass
2. Ran DIMM Test with DIMM and Naomi 1 mobo, all was pass
3. Tested with a legit MvC2 and everything boots up just fine.

Not sure if there is something else im missing, if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated!

Did you get the DIMM with the CF kit ?

DIMM SW version is 4.02 ?

You have a zero pic installed in the DIMM ?

Take a picture of your setup, I want to see how the system is powered.

Greetings!

I have a japanese Naomi 1 and i just ordered a CF kit + Ikaruga from Mitsu. I'm powering the mobo through the capcom i/o and im powering the CF kit through my psu with a line from 5v and Ground. Everything boots and loads up but im always getting an Error 21. According to arcade-otaku wiki

Error 21

Display: THIS GAME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY MAIN BOARD.
Cause: Game data (loaded from the GD-ROM to the DIMM board) are corrupted. The NAOMI 2 GD-ROM disk is used with the NAOMI main board.
Countermeasures: Make sure that the GD-ROM drive is firmly connected to the NAOMI board. Make sure that the GD-ROM disk is not scratched or contaminated. The NAOMI 2 GD-ROM disk software cannot run with the NAOMI main board. If you want to run the NAOMI 2 GD-ROM disk software, replace the NAOMI main board with the NAOMI 2 main board.

Not sure what the issue could be. Things i've tried:
1. Ran ram test on Naomi Mobo 1, and all was pass
2. Ran DIMM Test with DIMM and Naomi 1 mobo, all was pass
3. Tested with a legit MvC2 and everything boots up just fine.

Not sure if there is something else im missing, if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated!
You can't power the Naomi with DIMM with the Capcom I/O. It's not enough power. You're going to need either an ATX PSU with an adapter, or a Sun PSU.

You can't power the Naomi with DIMM with the Capcom I/O. It's not enough power. You're going to need either an ATX PSU with an adapter, or a Sun PSU.
^this...
the DIMM board sucks up too much juice if you measure voltages on in the DIMM board I'd bet your 3.3V line is too low. That's typically why it's stated that you can't use a Capcom I/O for power with anything other than Carts.

Reactions: rtw
@rtw - Yeah, its set up with 4.02 and a zero pic installed.

@rewrite, @twistedsymphony - Ahhh, okay knew some people were running it with the capcom i/o and just powering the cf reader through its own power cable, I didn't know the DIMM board sucks up that much power. Could i just rewire the power from my psu instead of using the capcom i/o? So basically i wouldn't connect the power from the capcom i/o, but from my psu and still use the capcom i/o for jamma/sound amp/kick harness/conrols?

Could i just rewire the power from my psu instead of using the capcom i/o? So basically i wouldn't connect the power from the capcom i/o, but from my psu and still use the capcom i/o for jamma/sound amp/kick harness/conrols?
If your PSU provides a 3.3V rail then yes, but I'd suspect if it did that you'd already have a JVS Compliant PSU and you wouldn't be routing it through a Capcom I/O.

The thing is older JAMMA games ran off of mostly 5V power, from Model 3 onward Sega boards have used mostly 3.3V power (this is typical of modern PCs as well). since old Arcade PSUs don't support 3.3V the Capcom I/O has a step-down converter built in to convert the 5V power down to 3.3V... the problem is it's not good enough to produce the amperage on the 3.3V line necessary for the NAOMI to function properly once a DIMM board is installed.

I am about to make a batch of ATX to Naomi power adapters if you want. Get a good, high-wattage ATX supply. I'm not sure the lowest I'd recommend. I have a 350 watt I use for lindbergh but it does not power Naomi consistently at all. I'm going to fork out some cash for a 1000 watt ATX supply to be able to cover everything possible.

I'll be selling the adapters in a few days.

If you end up needing a Sun PSU, I have one kicking around that works well. I'm headed out of town, but I will be back middle of next week. Just let me know.

I am about to make a batch of ATX to Naomi power adapters if you want. Get a good, high-wattage ATX supply. I'm not sure the lowest I'd recommend. I have a 350 watt I use for lindbergh but it does not power Naomi consistently at all. I'm going to fork out some cash for a 1000 watt ATX supply to be able to cover everything possible.

I'll be selling the adapters in a few days.
Do you modify your ATX PSU so you can dial in voltages? Is there a specific brand that you use?

I find my NAOMI2 doesn't boot with ATX power. My NAOMI1's do. But if I connect with arcade switching power and the Capcom I/O, I can get the NAOMI2 to boot. I can also get it to boot with a Sun of Peter Chou NAOMI PSU after dialing in the voltages. But ATX power doesn't work with even if I am just running lower power peripherals like an MvC2 cart.

Some people buy meanwell supplies. There is one that lets you dial each voltage in but its expensive. That's why I recommended the higher wattage ATX supplies. Go as high as you can. It will only use what it needs but too low of a wattage and it won't even boot.

@Mitsurugi-w - I've used a sun psu and also my weiya psu and it boots up just fine and im still getting the error 21. Could it be possible that because my naomi 1 mobo is a japanese mobo and that the ikaruka is a US region that its giving me that error? Im not sure which region the CF card was in, not sure if it matters?

@Mitsurugi-w - I've used a sun psu and also my weiya psu and it boots up just fine and im still getting the error 21. Could it be possible that because my naomi 1 mobo is a japanese mobo and that the ikaruka is a US region that its giving me that error? Im not sure which region the CF card was in, not sure if it matters?
Ikaruga is a Japanese game.

Region warning is error 02.

The CF card will contain an image and it has the region byte embedded. If you list the contents of your CF card you will find 2 files look at byte 0x428 in the largest file.

And a picture of your setup please...

What is the motherboard bios version - I've had odd behavior with Dimms on Naomi-1's with lower bios revisions that work fine with all the carts I have - now I use the universal region "H" bios for Naomi-1'.

PSU wise I've got a Sanwa SWN-JVS power supply for my Naomi requirements.

Last edited:
You can try rewriting your CF card with the game image. The card I sent you has the security code written on it already. It was tested on your DIMM and CF reader before it left so it should work fine.

highjacking the tread to ask a Naomi question - Where can I get a working battery for the DiMM.. My understanding is that if you have a working battery on the Dimm you do not need to load the game from the CF every time.. is that correct?.. thanks

the battery was used so that the game gets stored on the dimm board I believe so I doesn't have to read the disc every time you turn it on. You can find the batteries on ebay and put them together if you still have the little connector that came with the old one

Here are some pictures of the set up i have running in my Vewlix

== Details ==
So Im using my weiyi PSU on my vewlix. I'm using my step down transformer and I've measured ALL of the boards voltages. 12v, 5v, 3.3v are all measured, dialed in and stable with the step down transformer and my vewlix.

The board boots up fine, sees the CF kit, loads the game and then after it reboots like it should, i get the error 21.

Been doing some research and some users are saying it could be the SCSI cable? I spoke to ken at irepairsega and he said that the scsi cables are all standard and that they should work no matter where you buy them.

I've done a DIMM board test, and that was all a pass
I've tested the RAM on the naomi 1 and that was all a pass

Kind of at a lost here. I've tried my original GD ROM and that seems to work without issue. I've tried my legit MvC2 cart and that seems to work without issue. Not sure what else this could be?

any ideas would be most appreciated!

Does it check memory, then load, then check memory again, reset, then error?

Or check memory, load, reset, error?

It does the memory check, it loads everything, resets, then error

Back