What's new

Retro-Rabbit

Beginner
Reaction score
I've recently picked up another Japan region A board on the cheap, knowing that it had 'no sound'

I've tried the holding up or down during boot etc.. All the usual suspects.
However the volume in the test menu is always 00 or -78 depending on either a Japan or US game. Neither the up or down volume buttons seem to do anything. Switching between mono and stereo does nothing, and was tested through the Amp, and over Jamma.

All games have sound on my other Japan A board in the same cabinet.

Is this common? I've read a few threads on various forums outlining the same issue, but none of them seem to have any resolution.

Thoughts?

I've been able to successfully restore sound a couple different ways (for different issues)

1.) 1 A board had bad SMD buttons. They were rusted out and in bad shape. Replaced the SMD buttons and sound up and down was restored.

2.) another A board had a broken trace on the sound UP line, running from the button to the kick harness connector. Patched the broken trace and sound up worked.

If you can't spot a broken trace and the buttons seem to work (You can test with your meter) then start looking into the z80 chip and audio amp.

try holding down the volume up or down button while powering on the cab. it resets something internally, it will either help or not. If it does nothing you can try accessing the volume up/down through the kick harness. using a dupont cable it's only slightly tricky, but not too bad to do once and forget about it.

There's a good chance that the traces for volume are broken.

I have a similar issue with mine. All sound is on right channel. vol up and down seem to function normally, but it's not resetting the balance holding them down. It's possible I didn't hold down long enough? I let go around when the boot up checks appeared

I have a similar issue with mine. All sound is on right channel. vol up and down seem to function normally, but it's not resetting the balance holding them down. It's possible I didn't hold down long enough? I let go around when the boot up checks appeared
Needs a supercap replacement. I’ve had to replace this on many a-boards

the volume in the test menu is always 00 or -78 depending on either a Japan or US game.
I've had a few CPS2 games behave this way with the whole "hold the volume button" trick not working and no physical problems with the audio hardware.

The way I fixed it was going into test mode, turning the volume all the way up, then turning the volume all the way down. (kind of like you're calibrating the range) and after that it would typically let me set the volume normally.

no idea if this will work for you, but it's worth a try.

I mean the cube one haha
Oh that, yeah I have no idea, and I believe I saw Mitsurugi-w in an old post say he'd only seen it once before and forgot to take a picture of it. Next time I open it up, I'll see what writing is on it though.

I'll see if I have any games that will let me adjust the volume in the test menu. None of my Darkstalker games allow volume adjustments in test.

I'll take a look at the supercap and test the buttons.

are you sure it's in ram?
maybe it uses one of those digital pots with onboard eeprom.

All the push-buttons, Test V.Up and V.Dn had odd resistance or no continuity when pressed. Replaced all three with new, will test later.

Do you know what part the button is? I'm likely going to need to replace mine as they barely function.

Back