What's new
Nice work! That convergence looks spot on. Geometry looks slightly off on the right edge, but its not something you probably ever notice.

Where did you find the chevron magnets? I wish I could I find unused ones as they're super handy.

I got the chevron magnets from a TV repair shop that went out of business along with some CRT rejuvinators.

The chevron magnets job was especially for helping with magnetic discoloring. It also can help in the corners to square them up.

Convergence on this is quite good, yes just a bit off on lower right. It looks great in game play and passed playing Pacman which is very specific on dots and geometry and Super Turbo with the character select screen uniform boxes and upper gameplay character portraits.

Getting this to work was very relaxing not having to worry about Blast City tubes any more. Relaxing in the way it feels to install infinikeys on CPS-2 games so you don’t have to think about batteries anymore.

You can also take them from old TVs if you do other swaps. I get most of my convergence strips and a good number of chevrons from those.

You can also take them from old TVs if you do other swaps. I get most of my convergence strips and a good number of chevrons from those.
Soooooo this raises some questions..

A) Do you by chance live anywhere near Georgia / Florida?

B) If so how much would this service cost if someone has a few extra 2931 chassis?

Soooooo this raises some questions..
A) Do you by chance live anywhere near Georgia / Florida?

B) If so how much would this service cost if someone has a few extra 2931 chassis?
About 3hrs from Midway, GA.

Potentially, if given an original chassis and/or an original Nanao yoke, a tube could be configured and left in the original TV case for pickup/transport. A person would then bolt the tube onto their Nanao metal frame and reattach the chassis. I'll give some thought to the idea.

Soooooo this raises some questions..A) Do you by chance live anywhere near Georgia / Florida?

About 3hrs from Midway, GA.
Potentially, if given an original chassis and/or an original Nanao yoke, a tube could be configured and left in the original TV case for pickup/transport. A person would then bolt the tube onto their Nanao metal frame and reattach the chassis. I'll give some thought to the idea.
This is excellent on the distance!

The downside is I have the chassis .. well Playing has them in Jacksonville, Fl, but those are retrievable .. but not tube or frame. I guess I could find those pretty easily as I would just need a donor pair with an un-usuable / burnt / broken / necked tube.

To me the single biggest hurdle is identifying the right tube curvature. I know the symphonic worked but can you give a little more detail on the tv's that you got which didn't work and which had bonded yokes?

Are there multiple semi-flat curves or just one?
Thanks

To me the single biggest hurdle is identifying the right tube curvature. I know the symphonic worked but can you give a little more detail on the tv's that you got which didn't work and which had bonded yokes?

Are there multiple semi-flat curves or just one?
Thanks
When I have been looking around, it seemed that all of the slightly curved TV tubes had the same profile. The oldest I found was a Toshiba from 1990 (which surprisingly had a bonded yoke and I didn't end up using) up to about 2004/2005.

Philips, Panasonic and Symphonic are brands that did not have bonded yokes that seem to be good candidates with the correct curve. Maybe I'll take photos of the TVs or write the model numbers of those. You can usually tell from a photo if the curve is correct. I also had a newer Toshiba that did not have a bonded yoke. A JVC D-Series has the same tube curve, but they do have bonded yokes so they are best for using as TVs with component input for consoles I think. I have not attempted to use any Sony brand. The internal tubes on Sonys may have a similar curve but the extra thick glass on front to make it appear flat wouldn't match the Blast City bezel so I haven't pursued them.

Mostly likely you will also need to reverse mount your slightly curved tube behind the bolts onto the Nanao frame as the tabs will be positioned differently (if you mount a WG9200 into a Nanao frame for a Blast City you will do the same thing). This is not difficult to do.

Bonded yokes may supposedly be removed using a car battery charger to heat the yoke up and release it though I have not attempted that, and have only read about that.

Sonys will have have different neck connector on them too.

Excellent job, I may have to do this myself soon. I’m eagerly waiting on my chassis to be repaired before I know if my tube is dead. You mentioned that you’re able to tell from a pic if the curvature is correct. What do you think about this Sharp from 2003?
58A009BB-E89E-4268-A58F-84C95E330747.jpeg
C26A1665-D3FD-4D7D-87FF-C557029D8FAA.jpeg

Attachments

• 9CDDE8CE-DB7E-41F4-AE3B-962844B95AA1.jpeg
    9CDDE8CE-DB7E-41F4-AE3B-962844B95AA1.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 216
Excellent job, I may have to do this myself soon. I’m eagerly waiting on my chassis to be repaired before I know if my tube is dead. You mentioned that you’re able to tell from a pic if the curvature is correct. What do you think about this Sharp from 2003?
The curve of that TV looks about right, however, that looks to be a 32" TV rather than a 27".

The curve of that TV looks about right, however, that looks to be a 32" TV rather than a 27".
Crap you're right, it was advertised as 27". What do you think about this one? It's from 1997 though.

Attachments

• TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 304
  • TV2.jpg
    TV2.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 238
Crap you're right, it was advertised as 27". What do you think about this one? It's from 1997 though.
Looks to be a good chance with that Panasonic. You can flash a light probably inside the vents in the back to determine if it has a bonded yoke or if it has adjustment rings on the neck. Hopefully adjustment rings.

Looks to be a good chance with that Panasonic. You can flash a light probably inside the vents in the back to determine if it has a bonded yoke or if it has adjustment rings on the neck. Hopefully adjustment rings.
Thanks, so if there are rings that means it's not bonded? Sorry I'm not sure what a bonded yoke looks like.

Thanks, so if there are rings that means it's not bonded? Sorry I'm not sure what a bonded yoke looks like.
Most of the time if it has rings it is not bonded. Some tubes have a convergence band instead of rings, not sure what the correct terminology is, and those are bonded from my experience.

(Crossposted from another thread.)

Hey, guys. So I've done some research into this subject, and I've discovered that a lot of Funai-rebranded TVs contained similar tubes that would be suitable donors for the later bezel design curvature found inside the Blast City, Net City, and Windy II.

Compatible tubes based on curvature: Samsung A68QBT892X and Thomson A68AGA20X

Apex AT-2702 and AT-2708: (There is also a dark gray version of this model with the same tube.)
307257621_637745117746051_7317284715134966329_n.jpg9724744_1.jpg

Funai rebadges: Emerson, Sylvania, Symphonic, Magnavox, etc.
emerfart.jpg0005381862131_A.jpg51fc031bab3e4ba9a2f0860c47308a90.jpg150-1.jpg

TCL Rebadges: RCA 27V414T, Magnavox 27MS343S
366714519_1983938568636491_1164449372157066810_n.jpgd1.png

Daewoo DTQ-27S5FC
2020-04-10_18_25_09_The_front_of_a_Daewoo_Model_Number_DTQ-27S5FC_television_in_the_Franklin_F...jpg

Possible donors may be found in some 27" Samsung, Sharp, Sanyo, RCA, and Toshiba models. (This is just speculation.)

Last edited:
Back