What's new

Brentradio

Champion
Reaction score
Is anyone selling empty cases for use with the Multicart?

I would buy one...

3d printing, while awesome, isn't the answer to everything unfortunately. First (and to me, foremost) is the question is texture - it would be all wrong for this type of thing. Second, the size required would be larger than many people's home ones could print, and there's no easy way to make this one in sections.

I'd love a turnkey solution too, but finding a cheap, preferably broken, game to harvest the shell from and then modifying it is going to be your best bet

3d printing, while awesome, isn't the answer to everything unfortunately. First (and to me, foremost) is the question is texture - it would be all wrong for this type of thing. Second, the size required would be larger than many people's home ones could print, and there's no easy way to make this one in sections.

I'd love a turnkey solution too, but finding a cheap, preferably broken, game to harvest the shell from and then modifying it is going to be your best bet
Or just Die Hard. Because there are 1230123102864513259846239586235 copies of it and they're all dirt cheap because no one wants it. Plus, you're not even ruining the game by stealing the cart, at VERY worst you're ruining the label.

Mine doesn't seem to fit in the cart case. Not quite anyhow. So I've been running it without a case.

3d printing, while awesome, isn't the answer to everything unfortunately.
^THIS^

The thing most people don't realize is that Injection molding has designs that it's good at making and it has designs that it's incapable of making. Similarly 3D printing has designs that it's good at making and designs that it's incapable of making. and between the two technologies these are not the same strong suits and in-capabilities, in-fact they're completely different.

There are things that for injection molding is completely in-cable/impossible/you'll never see done in your life that are no-sweat for a 3D Printer... while on the other hand there are things that are incredibly simple and easy to do with injection molding that a 3D Printer can't do and may not ever be able to do in our lifetime.

When you have an existing "thing" that was designed to avoid the pit-falls of injection molding and play to the strong suits (like say a cartridge case) then trying to duplicate that in 3D printing becomes very difficult. Typically you'll find in a lot of instances the result will look like shit and take a very very long time to design in order to get to that shitty result.

however, if you're throwing away the current cartridge design and designing a completely new case that looks completely different and was designed from scratch to work within the benefits and pitfalls of 3D printing, then you might have something.

If you're thinking of 3D printing as a way obtain a copy of thing more cheaply then just buying that thing then you're WRONG and you should stop thinking that way because ultimately 3D printing wont help you in that endeavor (at least not with where the technology is right now).

3D Printing can and should be used primarily to make things that don't already exist, or in instances where an item simply can't be found anywhere and a really shitty replica will suffice.

There are of-course exceptions, for instance the Net City bolt covers I designed. the design of those parts actually played perfectly to the strengths of 3D printing... it was probably a real bitch for them to injection mold that part in the first place. As a result the 3D printed version ended up looking pretty damn great. Unfortunately Cartridge cases DO NOT fall into this exception category.

You want to know if something can be easily 3D printed with current FDM style printers?
1. Does it have a big flat side that can sit flush against a table without any indentations?
2. With the big flat side down is it free of any overhangs more aggressive than 45 degrees?
3. With the big flat side down can the whole part fit inside a 6in x 6in box?

if you answered yes to all 3 then it might be a candidate for 3D printing... the problem is cartridge cases generally fail on question #1

Last edited:
Back