SEGA System 16 Multi - Review

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SEGA System 16 Multi - Review

• Shipping was fast from USA to Australia. Item was packaged extremely well, no chance of it being damaged.
      • PCB design is rather amazing. Smaller than an original Sega B board with only a 2 layer PCB being utilised. Jam packed full of traces and components, this can't have been a trivial task. Connector spacing is spot on and there is text printed on the silkscreen to illustrate orientation. Connectors aren't keyed which isn't an issue but I feel I should point that out so people are mindful to not install it backwards. Soldering and component assembly is top notch.
      • Installation is rather straight forward for a product of this nature. A few minor requirements being a standard 68K and Z80 CPU being fitted to your S16 A board if not already present. Might have been a nice gesture to include the option of purchasing a standard 68K with the multi. Set the two banks of dipswitches of the S16 A board to all OFF. Remove the original B board and replace with the multi B board. Prepare and burn your roms to the EPROM chips which may be supplied at time of purchase or purchased independently. This is probably the most time consuming task and will be documented soon.
      • A jamma adapter is required for System 16. I'd recommend one with button remapping capabilities and the 4th button connected to enjoy the entire library of games to their full extent.
      • The dipswitch of the multi board is of high quality. It's a decent size, easily accessible and the switches solidly clunk into position.
      • It can be a little cumbersome to change games, especially if you plan on installing your board into an arcade cabinet, as changing games requires a manual dipswitch setting and a hard power cycle. Games naturally load instantly which is a huge plus for me. A new rotary switch is in the works which will greatly assist in cycling through games. I currently use the original design of the rotary switch with a few minor fixes to get the RESET button functioning and it's fabulous.
      • I'd have like to have seen a ground pin header available from the multi board to facilitate external game selection devices. This isn't a huge issue though as one can simply tap CN5 of the S16 A board to obtain reset and ground signals.
      • 32 games is an impressive feat. There's only a few games missing if you include the System 16A library in the total mix.
      • Whilst being fully appreciative and supportive of the product, being an Australian and having to combat the AU dollar being rather weak against the US dollar, I feel the price is slightly high but the multi is worth it nonetheless.
      Being a SEGA nut this multi was a no brainer for me. It boasts the entire System 16B library of games and presents them in a simple and efficient manner in regards to installation and usage. There's quite a large amount of stellar games to be enjoyed here so dive in and have fun.

Original thread: Finally, multi System 16B (Sega)

Invaluable guide: The Definitive Guide to the System 16 Multi Kit

Dipswitch cheat sheet:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Frank_fjs ().

• Frank_fjs wrote:

• A jamma adapter is required for System 16. I'd recommend one with button remapping capabilities and the 4th button connected to enjoy the entire library of games to their full extent.

With your deluxe jamma adapter is the fourth button supported? Theres the 6 dips, 3 for each player, if it is supported how do you set it?

Excellent review! And yes while a review might suffice someone with flair could make a video to drum up some hype! Looking at you @psykom1 . Good stuff to watch as I am winding down the day.
    • Kavas wrote:

Frank_fjs wrote:

With your deluxe jamma adapter is the fourth button supported? Theres the 6 dips, 3 for each player, if it is supported how do you set it?
      Excellent review! And yes while a review might suffice someone with flair could make a video to drum up some hype! Looking at you @psykom1 . Good stuff to watch as I am winding down the day.
      You know the minute I get my hands on one, I'll be putting it up on my Twitch Stream right away.
      I got the board, the parts, and tools staged for the day it makes its arrival on my doorstep.
      With how far down the waiting list I am, it'll be April at this point unless the powers that be have some production line going to get things out faster.
      To say the least, I'm nothing short of excited to share stories and memories of some of these titles.

*jab jab* unless somebody wants to send me one to review *jab jab*

@Frank_fjs thank you for the cheat sheet, and review on what's what.
      Classic Gaming Historian
      Bench : Network build-out, Fight Stick rebuild
      WANT : 16B Multi, MK2 Sound Board, F2 Rom boards, Namco NA PCB
      [astrocity] InstaGram [neogeo] Arcade Projects Photoblog [saturn] VAPS List [nes-101] Tuesday Arcade Twitch Stream!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Psyko-M1 ().

• LHantz wrote:

Does button 4 use the same input as a Neo Geo MVS on the JAMMA connector?
      You mean on @Frank_fjs adapter? I would guess so.
      Looking for:
      - faulty Hang-On, Space Harrier or Enduro Racer (2203 sound board)
      - Sega Mega-CD 1 power board
      - Super Nintendo CPU (3 needed)

"I'd 1cc games but I have a real life."
      01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001
    • @duffcon the network cable is just a selector switch so you can mount it outside the cabinet... it's not *actually* a network cable in practice - just a wire.

And as far as I know - its just 3 buttons (max) for all the games.

Matt
      Arcade MultiSystems:

Sega: ST-V (Darksoft), Naomi 2 w/Net Dimm,Capcom CPS2 (Darksoft) , Capcom CPS3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo MV-1B (Darksoft), Sega C2 (Apocalypse), Taito F3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo AES (Darksoft), M72 Multi (Apocalypse)
      VAPS Profile arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=481863
    • Bullet is a dual-stick shooter (like Robotron). So the "4 buttons" makes sense for the 4 directions of the shooting stick.
      It's also 3 players too... so my question: is there a Sega 16B IO that we'll need for some of these games?

Edit:
      Looks like @Apocalypse was looking for one to repro:
      arcade-projects.com/forums/ind…rd-837-7968-reproduction/
    • Yeah I want to repro the IO board so I can play some of the games that require it (about 8 from memory) as I've never played these games before. I cannot for the life of me find one to buy though so I can duplicate it.

Someone here made one on breadboard a while ago, a guy on Klov has a repro board, the Mame guru guy sells a repro but asks $120 for it etc. I just want to do it myself.

See here for some consolidated info:

SEGA System 16 trackball I/O
    • Frank_fjs wrote:

the Mame guru guy sells a repro but asks $120 for it
      I could have sworn I gave @ekorz like $40 or something when he did a group order. Were they really $120??!?

Offer's still out there if you want to use my Guru repro for designing your own. Just ship it back whenever, I'm not using it.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, and an SNK SC-25.

Shameless plug: Rewrite's Recaps - Your monitor and PSU recapping service center
    • So this Mame guru guy posted info on his website about reverse engineering the Sega IO board. He mentions the Gerbers are free to download so people can make their own, but there's no download link on his site. So I emailed him asking for the Gerbers and he responded by saying he won't release them until he has sold the last 8 units he has in stock.

I kind of want to reverse engineer it myself from an original Sega IO board, I don't really want to rip off someone else's work (outside of Sega lol but what else can we do).