What's new

dewmansnk

Professional
Reaction score
After having the power supply on my AWSD die, and looking into replacement options, it seemed that a nice 4 output Meanwell might be just the ticket. They make a model that is a bit expensive but has all the output one could wish for in an arcade power supply. The QP-150-3A is about $100 but has 3.3, 5, 12, and -5.

The AWSD is wired for JVS power so I will utilize the 3.3, 5, and 12 volt. The stock AWSD power supply has 3 connectors:

5 conductor JST VH series (AC-N, AC-L, FG)
8 conductor Molex Mini-Fit (12V, GND)
12 conductor Molex Mini-Fit (3.3V, GND, 5V)

I was well on my way to building a wiring harness to take the screw terminals on the Meanwell and adapting to the JST and Molex connectors needed for the cab wiring, and after my mouser order showed up with the power supply and connectors, I started thinking this would work much better as a single PCB.

biHoYZd.png

This board should screw down to the terminals on the Meanwell power supply and provide the JST VH connector for AC power input as well as the 8/12-pin Molex Mini Fit connectors for DC power output.
I have added the mounting holes and solder pads to add an LCD voltage display, https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32840259666.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.206f62fepYHKGu
Also a small switch to change between the 3.3 and 5.0 volt rails being displayed. The QP-150-3A has adjustment POTs for 3.3 and for 5.0, so that should help in adjusting the voltages.
I added a round pad terminal for the FG connection in the cab.

The AWSD arcade cabinet has 2 unused conductors in the 12-pin Molex connector. The stock AWSD power supply provides 3.3 volts on these pins that is never utilized inside the AWSD cabinet. I have included a 3-terminal jumper "JP1" on the interface board. It allows selection of 3.3V or -5V for these 2 pins. The rationale is that if you wanted to add the pins and wires to your AWSD arcade cabinet, you could add -5 Volt to the wiring harness and enjoy the games that require -5V. The hardest part would be sourcing the pins for the JAMMA connector, but you might be able to reuse off old harness.

https://github.com/wifiber/AWSD-PS-Interface
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/2lTFHjc9

Let me know what you guys think, open source so feedback and improvements welcome.

Last edited:
PCBs arrived

ZHx1m8j.jpg

Mounted on the front of the Meanwell PS

Paxo9RO.jpg

Board with the AC input power connector set in place, my other connectors are in route.

uTuy2rB.jpg

I will take more pics when I get it fully populated. Still have to solder the connectors on, solder the small SPDT switch and the voltage LCD. Happy that all my measurements were correct and the board fits on the PS perfect.

All finished

Here it is all populated and installed on the PS
mKO1G7m.jpg

The clearance on the back side looks adequate. Plus as an added bonus, the nylon nuts used to hold on the voltage LCD prevent the PCB and lead protrusions from hitting the metal case of the PS when inserting the connectors
QTR1zBS.jpg

Test fit looks good. I didn't connect the ground lug yet, but those ring lugs should swing over and attach to the screw post on the interface board with no problem.
spU66YO.jpg

Here the voltage LCD is displaying the 5 volt rail. I haven't adjusted the power supply or calibration pot on the voltage LCD, but we are pretty close out of the box.
zS9nQJa.jpg

And switched to check the 3.3 volt rail
dhbtTM5.jpg

Parting shots
OpHNH5A.jpg

I have made a new batch of PCBs that addresses some of the small improvements I wanted made. Most notable I am using traces on the top and bottom of the PCB to double the amount of trace width and current. I routed the AC input lines leaving slightly larger clearances mainly for peace of mind. I also improved the routing on the back side to leave more copper for the ground plane. This batch is probably perfectly fine, but always rooms for improvements. I hope to sell a handful of these to recoup some of the costs.

Nice! I was thinking about a solution for Naomi in a Vewlix, but I don't want to use the Wei-ya....

Count me in for one! Looks very tidy! :thumbup:

They make a model that is a bit expensive but has all the output one could wish for in an arcade power supply. The QP-150-3A is about $100 but has 3.3, 5, 12, and -5.
Neat solution! Is the fan on the thing temperature/load controlled?

The datasheet lists the range for 5V rail as 3A-15A, have you tested with any 'low-amp' PCBS as quite a lot them draw less than 3A,
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/PCB_Power_Consumption

https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/Qp-150/QP-150-spec.pdf

They make a model that is a bit expensive but has all the output one could wish for in an arcade power supply. The QP-150-3A is about $100 but has 3.3, 5, 12, and -5.
Neat solution! Is the fan on the thing temperature/load controlled?
The datasheet lists the range for 5V rail as 3A-15A, have you tested with any 'low-amp' PCBS as quite a lot them draw less than 3A,
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/PCB_Power_Consumption

https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/Qp-150/QP-150-spec.pdf
The fan runs continuously even with no load. They had a prior/discontinued model the QP-100-3A which was fanless and had a slotted case; my guess its the same/slightly tweaked design, and with the added fan comes a higher rating. I had contemplated just disconnecting the fan and de-rating it down to ~100ish watts, but after running it with the fan, its so quiet that I don't even notice it. I saw the current range listed and thought it was a bit odd the minimum was so high at 3 amps; typically its 10% of the maximum rating, which would put it closer to 1.5A. I haven't had much time to put this supply though it's paces, but optimistic the worst side effect would be a higher than expected voltage which could be seen on the LCD and adjusted down to remove the overshoot.

Hello dewmansnk,

I was going to order your board off of OSH park but the link you provided is 404 not found, also searched on their site for you file and it was not found. Did you remove your file? I would love to have this as I need to replace my PS on my AWSD.

Thanks

Whoops, broke the OSH link when I updated it last. I just did a fresh check in on GIT to correct the link, here it is as well

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/chpeU0vp

Whats changed in 0.4

- The FG screw Lug is now 4.0mm to better match the ring lugs that were on my AWSD, was 3.0mm prior
- The voltage LCD I am using is a common 3 wire model, that is (power, gnd, measure). The LCD needs >5v to operate and I want to measure the 3.3 volt rail, so need the 3 wire model. Apparently these LCD can come wired in both (power, gnd, measure) and (measure, gnd, power). I added some jumper pads on the rear of the PCB to allow using both wire configurations without having to fold the LCD wires around and solder them out of order. I made this discovery when I got some LCD of amazon that were wired opposite of the ones on a boat from china.

I got a batch of 20 from JLCPCB in black solder mask with ENIG finish copper, so those should be here and assembled by months end. I got about half claimed (haven't forgot those who PM, been keeping track). The BOM cost is kinda high using gold plated Molex connector, the full shroud AC connector and the voltage LCD - so was thinking like $40 for the fully assembled ones when I get them in and built. I am closing escrow on my new house the end of this month, so need to pay them bills - I also mention this so that people cut me slack with these timelines.

The Vewlix JVS PSU (M1300100A) looks identical to the one that was in the AWSD that this board replaces. Can someone please confirm the pinout on a Viewlix JVS powersupply? But it looks like this adapter board maybe more a JVS board and not just an AWSD board, which opens up the use case to many more cabs. :)

The Vewlix JVS PSU (M1300100A) looks identical to the one that was in the AWSD that this board replaces. Can someone please confirm the pinout on a Viewlix JVS powersupply? But it looks like this adapter board maybe more a JVS board and not just an AWSD board, which opens up the use case to many more cabs. :)
Its not the same loom. The Vewlix one is slightly different. Long story short, I tried to use my swn-jvs harness in my e3 and it didn’t work.

Its not the same loom. The Vewlix one is slightly different. Long story short, I tried to use my swn-jvs harness in my e3 and it didn’t work.
On the Vewlix power supply, it appears to use the same 2 Molex connectors (The 8 pin and the 12 pin) - if the loom is different, is the pinout on those 2 molex connectors the same?

On the Vewlix power supply, it appears to use the same 2 Molex connectors (The 8 pin and the 12 pin) - if the loom is different, is the pinout on those 2 molex connectors the same?
The Vewlix and e3 JVS power supply is the same junk weiya, but the vewlix loom has some spots unpopulated.

Back