What's new
I tried this today using my Extron 192V, via a 8-pin mini din cable to my HAS 8-pin mini din to HD-15 adapter, and I couldn't even get a usable image. Not sure if I should be using a different cable? Anyway, not a success.
Hey Driftwood. Any luck on figuring this out?

Just curious.

@Tianfeng probed a PGM's sync the other day and found it to be extremely weak on his scope. It could be that some revisions or dying boards have too low of a sync signal for certain devices.

Hey SmokeMonster!

I appreciate the info. This is very interesting...

Here's my question now, is there a good device that will amplify the sync signal without blowing up our PVMs?

@Jorel81 try the service menu. turn it on, go into menu, then hit enter and degauss at the same time. I don’t know if it’s in there either but it’s worth a try.

@Jorel81 try the service menu. turn it on, go into menu, then hit enter and degauss at the same time. I don’t know if it’s in there either but it’s worth a try.
Totally been all through that menu. I don't think there's any adjustments there for V/H hold.

Good call though I appreciate the input. If I could solve this I would be so stoked, let me tell ya.

My Sony Trinitron has no issues with both of my PGM boards, but it's the biggest one they ever made so flipping that tate is something I don't wanna do.

The sync signal being weak on the PGM boards might be the reason why though...if there was a way to boost that signal slightly I would so be into trying that.

You might be able to raise the gain on the sync output transistor..... I can't remember if there are any resistor you could remove / short out aswell....

You might be able to raise the gain on the sync output transistor..... I can't remember if there are any resistor you could remove / short out aswell....
Not sure how I would do that. But I do have an extra PGM board I wouldn't mind monkeying around with.

The easyest way... (as it differs a little pcb to pcb) Start at the jamma finger and work your way back to were it (Sync) comes from. Then you can find the transistor that i though was the final drive for it. The same should be true for the RGB lines as well...

I was not. Not sure exactly how to boost the sync signal safely.

Just discovering this thread.
I have the exact same issue in my cabinet (Kortek chassis and Zenith 25") when playing Shadow Dancer. First time I encounter this issue. All other S18 games display fine. I've played a lot with the pots (h size, v size, h hold, v hold, h position, v position, etc.) without any luck...

Oh and that game plays fine on a supergun, tested on 2 consumer's TVs and 2 PVMs.

I certainly looks like a hori-sync / hold issue to me. Having caused that exact artefact by screwing around with monitor pots in the past.
The likelyhood is that the PVM chassis does have pots to tweak that, but they'll be internal within the case hidden behind a useful 'no user serviceable parts within' type sticker.
The chances are your setting is just outside the threshold for the PGM to play nice. I'd be interested to hear if you get the same on Neo Geo MVS hardware, as I've found the video outputs to be very similar.

I certainly looks like a hori-sync / hold issue to me. Having caused that exact artefact by screwing around with monitor pots in the past.
The likelyhood is that the PVM chassis does have pots to tweak that, but they'll be internal within the case hidden behind a useful 'no user serviceable parts within' type sticker.
The chances are your setting is just outside the threshold for the PGM to play nice. I'd be interested to hear if you get the same on Neo Geo MVS hardware, as I've found the video outputs to be very similar.
Neo Geo works fine.

Both my PGMs look great on both of my consumer CRTs. I guess I could open my PVM and check for those pots at some point. If its a small tweak that wont effect the way my other boards display I might be into giving it a shot.

Very wierd MVS is fine and PGM isn't. Worth a shot and yeah, don't mess with the pots too much, should be a very slight tweak only.

Back