Great Community!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Great Community!

New

I stumbled on this site after years of hanging over on shmups.com and the Neo forums where most of the “community” is pretty condescending and generally unpleasant to new (and even old) members.

I was immediately taken by the amount of welcomes and truly friendly advice here on arcade-projects. In my month here, I’ve bought a few things, asked some really dopey questions and throughout it all, everyone has been super chill. This has become my most visited site now during the day just because I’m enjoying watching the open info sharing back and forth.

Thanks for creating this space and for allowing people to breathe. It’s truly refreshing. :)
    • New

Thanks for posting, yes, this is THE site as far as I'm concerned for arcade community (not just awesome projects).

Don't take this the wrong way @Darksoft, but I'm sort of glad they were mean to you elsewhere (not that you deserved it!), because then we are able to have this as a result. So even when things seem crappy, remember the silver lining can happen in ways you don't expect!
    • New

There’s a true level of fun/curiosity here and more strikingly, I see people being excited for others on their finds and successes. You could say “I’m thinking of mounting a display on top of a box of cereal so I can run Darius Gaiden in the toaster next to it...” and you’d immediately get helpful advice instead of being mocked. If you pulled it off you’d get “So awesome” instead of “I personally wouldn’t have done that because THAT toaster is shit, you should have used this one instead but you’re a newb so whatever. Do you even know toasters? Good luck when it breaks down in a week.”
      It’s terrific.
      Restored faith.
    • New

@ITATTRACTS I have my moments, as anyone familiar with my history of posts can tell you...
      I am passionate about this hobby, and I really do love my fellow arcade brothers and sisters (even when we disagree). :love:

When this forum first started, I looked at it more or less as a help resource for Darksoft products.
      Time has shown this site to be so much more than that, I get a strong sense of community/comradery here and I truly appreciate that :thumbup:
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)
    • New

I totally get your POV about shmups and neo-geo. I still love going to those sites as well, as I've met and am still involved with the on-goings there. For example, shmups has a lot of great video processing projects that are constantly updating. They have a yearly "shmups ranking" and nowhere compares to their strategy threads.

N-G has the Shmups/Game of the Month that I love participating in when I can, and it's been consistent for many years now. There are really great members there that have helped me out quite a bit, a few that I've met in person. You just gotta have thick skin when it comes to some of the drama there.

This forum, is a gem though. It's focused and a great resource. The heavy project hitters here are helpful and just want to support people in getting their games and projects up and running. I hope it stays this way, but I do see small instances here and there were people are coming in to cash in on the market. As a community we need to squash that shit when we see it.
    • New

This place rocks, two people that I consider as very good friends, I met on here. I also managed to reconnect with someone who I taught how to DJ nearly 2 decades ago in a thread who helped me out greatly with some things I was hunting.

Then there’s all the great help I have had from many to get ahead in the hobby as well as all the things I have bought from y’all and the few that I have sold off too.

When I got into this I tried various forums and ended up being shitted on by the elitist boys club. There’s a few wankers on here, but it’s easy enough to just ignore them and their opinions. Hats off to @Darksoft for keeping this place positive whilst letting people have their say to a certain point.

opt2not wrote:

I do see small instances here and there were people are coming in to cash in on the market. As a community we need to squash that shit when we see it.
      ^ THIS. There’s some serious B.S. on a few of the sales threads of blatant flipping for top dollar on a few pre-modded arcade/console items.

Once one gets sold. Another gets made up and sold again, and the vicious circle goes around. Maybe the mods can look into that behavior as it’s pretty obvious for people in the know as to what’s going on.

I feel that the community doesn’t call out grippers, flippers and price gougers enough. Maybe because they have posted on here enough to be considered a part of the community, the status quo is to turn a blind eye. That needs to change as @opt2not stated.
      Multis: CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, S16, ST-V, MVS, M72, G-Net, Naomi, TTX2
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile
    • New

Buying things with the sole intention to resell (flip) immediately or in the near future, usually at a profit. Definitely shit when it’s sold on the same marketplace/forum it was acquired on.

Or, buying things with the sole intention to hoard desirable items, usually in multiples, that others want.

Traditionally I have seen the term used to describe people with deep pockets just buying anything worthwhile in sight not letting others stand a chance. While it’s perhaps annoying, there’s nothing wrong with it.

Gripping is not buying things you want for yourself. It’s just related to the intent behind the purchase.
      Multis: CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, S16, ST-V, MVS, M72, G-Net, Naomi, TTX2
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile
    • New

When it comes to flippers I say the responsibility lies with the seller.
      Yes we can do a better job making these guys known, but if you are selling something here consider who you are selling to...
      Maybe even say NO? ;)
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)
    • New

I can't believe these traitors to Stalin would dare to openly engage in commerce on the internet. Don't worry comrades, we'll stop these capitalist pigs.

On a slightly more serious note, I wish companies would stop trying to find new ways to sell me Street Fighter 2. I have the PCB and I've already spent all the money I'm ever going to on this game. Enough with mini replica cabs and anniversary box sets and compilations, and cheap Chinese knock-off bartops.

Oh and I agree that this site is great. It's because people here know a truth - that arcades are awesome! And, that other people who like them as much as we do must, on some level, be good people.
    • New

If people wish for a somewhat level playing field in this marketplace it would probably require consistent moderation by a person/s. Marketplace moderation would be an arduous task. Those of you from NG.com know what I am getting at.

I am new here so don't know the background, but it sounds as though a tipping point has been reached where some consideration needs to be given for such a role to exist.
      Cab: Viper
      PVM: Sony 2950Q
      Looking for:
      CPS2 - Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men COTA, Dimahoo, 19XX, SFA3, Vampire Hunter/Saviour 1 & 2
      AES carts (Jpn) - Contact me, I am probably interested.
      (US) - Dog Tag games.