What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Got a broken SF:TM board on my desk and some A/B testing has brought me to the graphics board being the culprit.

There doesn't seem to be much going on on the graphics board, and at this point I've pretty much ruled out everything except the PAL(PIC apparently) at U1 (I think it's a PAL anyway) and the two 74ls chips (have these on order).

So I'm hoping someone has the PAL dumped and could give me a hand getting this one replaced!

Last edited:
should be the same as Golden Tee 3D: https://www.jammarcade.net/wiki/index.php?title=Golden_Tee_3D_Golf

which, if the new PAL doesn't fix it just buy a Golden Tee with the same model number PCB and swap it on. When I was "fixing" my SFTM I managed to buy 3 of them in a lot for $35 shipped.
Are you sure?

I was under the impression that Golden Tee doesn't have the same graphics rom board and that was the entire reason you can't just use GT for SFTM.

The board I have plays Golden Tee just fine. It doesn't play SFTM.

Story goes:
Had an SFTM that didn't play *at all*, got a Golden Tee that works 100%. Swapped the two square guys on the motherboard, swapped the sound and prog/graphics rom boards over, game works mostly.

Palette ram test passes.

Video ram test you can't make out whether it passes or fails.

It says every graphics rom is bad. I burned the ROMs again (prog and graphics) and compared against the files, they check out fine. The problem isn't the ROMs.

So I assume it's not addressing them properly. Checked the jumpers, checked for physical damage, checked for cold solder joints and reflowed some things on the off chance.

Only thing left that could be bad on that small board are the two 74ls chips and the chip at U1 which I believe is a pal.

Buying another GT shouldn't help at all in this situation. This board plays GT fine still, it just won't display SFTM graphics properly. Plus another GT wouldn't have the board I have issues with anyway.

And I'm uncertain the pal from the GT graphics rom board is going to help with the one on SFTM. I guess I can try it.

Last edited:
I can confirm the Golden Tee 3D motherboard / soundboard are the same as SFTM as long as you get the rev that looks the same as STFM, they made two. I dumped the sound PAL and submitted it to jammarcade but don't think it ever got added (maybe it did, I haven't checked lately).

Rom board might be the same too, I bought one with the rom board missing to use for STFM.

Yup, the swap works, did it not too long ago. I might have some spare boards/bits let me know if you need any I may have them.

55qXux5_d.jpg

I think @rewrite needs a dump of the PAL on the actual SFTM rom board, U1 labeled ITSF-1, which isn’t the same as golden tee which is ITGF-1 I think. Labels can be misleading and it’s worth a try, but I didn’t see that one anywhere including jammarcade

Had an SFTM that didn't play *at all*, got a Golden Tee that works 100%. Swapped the two square guys on the motherboard, swapped the sound and prog/graphics rom boards over, game works mostly.
there are 3 boards that make up the stack.
1. the Main board - Identical between SFTM and Golden Tee 3D, NOTHING needs to be swapped
2. the Sound board - Identical between SFTM and Golden Tee 3D, except for the Audio ROMs
and
3. the ROM board - Completely different between the two.

Literally I've made a SFTM when I ONLY had the ROM board, buy buying a golden Tee 3D swapping on the ROM board and then burning the 3 audio ROMs from MAME to install on the sound board... that's it!

The ROM board doesn't have a PAL, it has ROMs, the security chip (which I believe is a PIC based MCU), 2x 74-series logic ICs and then a bunch of passive components.

So if you started with a working Golden Tee 3D, swapped the Audio ROMs and the SFTM ROM board on to it and you're having problem then either
A. you have a bad ROM
or
B. you have a bad security chip
or
C. one of the 2 74 series ICs isn't working

I think @rewrite needs a dump of the PAL on the actual SFTM rom board, U1 labeled ITSF-1, which isn’t the same as golden tee which is ITGF-1 I think.
the problem is it's not a PAL, it's the security PIC
I'm not sure how there was much confusion since I stated I was working on the rom board from the start, but I'm glad it's cleared up now.

As previously stated, the issue is not with the roms themselves.

And it's good to have cleared up that it's a PAL and not a PIC on my end. I know it's a PIC16C54, but I am assuming it needs to be programmed.

So I still need to *something* to go about replacing it.

Last edited:
my money is on the 74ls anyway!

Still need to know how to go about replacing it though
I don't think you can. AFAIK they're not dumped, and they'd probably need to be sent out to be de-capped to reproduce (or reverse engineer the code from MAME).

with that said, I'd suspect if that were your problem it wouldn't even boot.

my money is on the 74ls anyway!
that's certainly the easiest/cheapest next thing to check

though I'm curious what "square things" were swapped over on the main board... if you're talking about the socketed RAMs that's a common failure point and could be the issue also. I've also seen quite a few of these IT main boards with rusted sockets... so something else to check

I don't think you can. AFAIK they're not dumped, and they'd probably need to be sent out to be de-capped to reproduce (or reverse engineer the code from MAME).
That's just my luck.
with that said, I'd suspect if that were your problem it wouldn't even boot.
Well if anyone wants to pop theirs out and see what happens...

Square things are U37 and U38 on the motherboard, swapped over from the SFTM motherboard to the GT one per @ekorz instruction. Doesn't actually make a difference. The old ones work fine, the new ones work fine.

No reason to believe any RAM issues since GT works just fine.

74ls are already ordered. Just didn't want to waste another week waiting on parts if I could replace the PIC in the same shot.

Square things are U37 and U38 on the motherboard, swapped over from the SFTM motherboard to the GT one per @ekorz instruction. Doesn't actually make a difference. The old ones work fine, the new ones work fine.
That’s why I do wonder if ITSF-1 PIC and ITGF-1 PIC might also be the same. I may try that too. The ones on the mother had different labels which is why I swapped them originally. I was very surprised to find that didn’t matter

if you've got a logic probe or scope you can start by seeing if any of the pins on the 74 series IC or the SMD ROMs are floating.

Ok, so I'm currently doing the same thing as @rewrite and looking through this post has been very helpful. Thanks @twistedsymphony and @ekorz for the info.

I have a broken SFTM, won't boot, black screen. And a GT3D that works just fine. Comparing my SFTM board to pics of working boards it looks like mine is missing both audio and video roms from each pcb. However when I turn on the SFTM board, the status light on the graphics pcb doesn't illuminate. Does this mean there's a larger problem with the graphics board (or some other component) other than the missing roms?

SFTM+GoldenTee copy.jpg

@West

Well, easiest thing to do is grab 4x 27c020's and burn the program roms for SFTM, toss both of your SFTM boards onto the working GT motherboard and see what happens!

More than likely the prog roms on GT3D are also 27c020's and you can just steal those and rewrite them.

one thing to keep in mind is that there are multiple revisions of the GT3D mobo and sound board. given that they have different GT3D ROMs in MAME for the different board revisions I would suspect that you need to keep to the same revision that SFTM uses.

P/N 1064 REV 1 Mainboard
P/N 1066 REV 2 Sound board

Also according to MAME there seems to be at least 2 versions of the SFTM security PIC (despite them all having the same label), so I would recommend sticking to SFTM program ROMs that match the original revision that your security PIC came with

SFTM 1.10 and 1.11 use one version of the PIC while SFTM 1.12 and 1.14 use a different version

When I did my board swap, I made sure to have the same revision donor boards.

Here is the pic of the donor,

IMG_2987.jpg

After a wash/recapping/swapping the graphics board and new roms installed (went with OTPs, easier to source and faster speeds)
IMG_3066.jpg

@West, I have those spare OTPs roms I can burn for you, apologies on the delay bro. Also, look to make sure you have the same revision boards as your original SFTM just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Back