What's new

mR_CaESaR

Champion
Reaction score
Thought I'd reach out on these forums with the recent cps2 issue I seem to be having.

I've purchased a couple cps2 a and b sets (Ssf2 and xmen vs), one set is working perfectly fine, the other set seems to have an odd behaviour where it freezes no matter what b board is installed.

I've tested 4 different b boards (Progear and SSF2X conversions, xmen vs sf, and Ssf2) so far and they all exhibit the same behaviour where the game would boot, then shortly after it would just freeze. The sound still stays on, but I can't do anything else without a power cycle.

The moment I change A boards, the behaviour disappears.

I've tested two different cabinets and they both show the exact same behaviour where it would freeze, but the sound would still stay on.

I'll get some power readings later, but I wouldn't have thought that'd be the issue since my other 3 cps2 a boards work perfectly fine in the same cab.

I can hear and see the fan is working.

I haven't "opened" up the a board yet as it's completely sealed - and I don't know how to open that capcom lock thing yet.

Has anybody here experienced this issue and resolved it?

Thanks

First step is to grab a multimeter and take some readings of the 5v on your cabs and make sure you're within range.

Just because your other "A" boards work fine in your cabs, doesn't mean that "faulty" one you have isn't slightly hungrier for more power.

Yep. Already done.

5.1v is being read from the "faulty" A board.

5.08v is being read from the "working" boards.

I've lowered it to "match" 5.08v and even smack bang on 5.0v, still the same behaviour

Remove the eprom 03 and set again. Test.
Give a rom check and show the results please.

It's not freezing, it's crashing. The main CPU is really unhappy about something, work RAM error maybe?

It's a shame there's not a diagnostic ROM

It's not freezing, it's crashing. The main CPU is really unhappy about something, work RAM error maybe?

Is there not a diagnostic ROM for the CPS-2? I believe I was reading about it somewhere?

Is there not a diagnostic ROM for the CPS-2? I believe I was reading about it somewhere?
Not that I'm aware of, I was sure I'd heard of one too. There's a suicide tester but no diagnostic ROM I can find :(

Screenshot_20200226-091958_Gallery.jpg

Ram wise, it checks out.. I took out eprom 3 and re-sat it, didn't make a difference.

The behaviour is the same no matter what B board I use

Which region is it? Doesn't apply to your fault, I have a spare USA A board if you want to buy it from me.

Screenshot_20200226-091958_Gallery.jpg

Ram wise, it checks out.. I took out eprom 3 and re-sat it, didn't make a difference.

The behaviour is the same no matter what B board I use
All that test does is look for power and chip enable signal.

It doesn't tell you if the RAM is turning everything into gibberish, only if it's doing so when it's asked.

Oh, and is the fan working as it should, not caked in dust? Wondering if it's an overheating issue.

Which region is it? Doesn't apply to your fault, I have a spare USA A board if you want to buy it from me.
It's Europe, but US would work.

How much do you want for it?

Oh, and is the fan working as it should, not caked in dust? Wondering if it's an overheating issue.
The fan appears to be working, I'll give it a good clean or I'll swap fans with a working one

Swapped out the fans..and it's still exactly the same.

I give up on this thing lol

Back