What's new

RandomRetro

Professional
Reaction score
Connections are still solid so things work, but need to tack the trace down so the capacitor stays in place and doesn't cause more damage. Any recommendations on keeping the trace from pealing more of causing additional damage?

Attachments

• Pink Sweets Damage_LI (2).jpg
    Pink Sweets Damage_LI (2).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 510
Normally I wouldn't recommend hot glue, but in this case I think a light application under the lifted cap would provide some much needed stability.
Of course if you ever need to remove it, that is going to be tricky... Maybe someone has a better substance/solution?

I've read this is typically fixed using epoxy. I'd search for these keywords: lifted pad epoxy
Yeah I have seen some suggestions on electronic boards about using Loctite 608 Hysol epoxy. Hot glue on the plastic capacitor case and the PCB though could also be pretty clean, though I feel epoxy would may be more long term.

Keep the suggestions coming, thanks.

I'd avoid using super glue (cyanoacrylate) on a PCB since the fumes are very toxic and dangerous if you (or the future owner) uses the solder iron there to replace the capacitor.

That cap not being flush to the board seems like the main concern as you're not getting support. I believe a complete repair would involve removing the cap, epoxying the trace/pad back down to the PCB and soldering the cap back ensuring the base is sitting on the PCB getting mechanical support. Barring all that, as I can see not wanting to take a soldering iron to an expensive game, I would use 2 dots of epoxy on each side of the cap securing it to the PCB. I would not get any epoxy on the traces as a future more extensive fix would be getting that cap sitting flush and getting that trace and pad epoxied to the board. The 2 dots of epoxy on each side of the cap should hold it secure and keep that trace and pad from lifting anymore. I would stay away from CA based glues with plastic since it can craze it and leave that nasty white haze.

Thanks everyone. Will likely go the two dot epoxy route on this. I will post a picture long as I don’t botch the job to bad and glue my fingers to the pcb ;(

That cap not being flush to the board seems like the main concern as you're not getting support. I believe a complete repair would involve removing the cap, epoxying the trace/pad back down to the PCB and soldering the cap back ensuring the base is sitting on the PCB getting mechanical support. Barring all that, as I can see not wanting to take a soldering iron to an expensive game, I would use 2 dots of epoxy on each side of the cap securing it to the PCB. I would not get any epoxy on the traces as a future more extensive fix would be getting that cap sitting flush and getting that trace and pad epoxied to the board. The 2 dots of epoxy on each side of the cap should hold it secure and keep that trace and pad from lifting anymore. I would stay away from CA based glues with plastic since it can craze it and leave that nasty white haze.
Do you have any recommended exopy for this? Or is the Loctite 680 Hysol that I mentioned before good enough?

Couple dots of Loctite clear 2-part expoxy, some deep breaths and we are stable and back up and playing.

Attachments

• 87B489A0-AA34-4B30-8FCE-013301FBD117.jpeg
    87B489A0-AA34-4B30-8FCE-013301FBD117.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 143
Back