Capacitor trace pealing off PCB

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Capacitor trace pealing off PCB

Connections are still solid so things work, but need to tack the trace down so the capacitor stays in place and doesn't cause more damage. Any recommendations on keeping the trace from pealing more of causing additional damage?
      Images
      • Pink Sweets Damage_LI (2).jpg

91.99 kB, 474×590, viewed 114 times
    • Normally I wouldn't recommend hot glue, but in this case I think a light application under the lifted cap would provide some much needed stability.
      Of course if you ever need to remove it, that is going to be tricky... Maybe someone has a better substance/solution?
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)
    • rsignal wrote:

I've read this is typically fixed using epoxy. I'd search for these keywords: lifted pad epoxy
      Yeah I have seen some suggestions on electronic boards about using Loctite 608 Hysol epoxy. Hot glue on the plastic capacitor case and the PCB though could also be pretty clean, though I feel epoxy would may be more long term.

Keep the suggestions coming, thanks.
    • That cap not being flush to the board seems like the main concern as you're not getting support. I believe a complete repair would involve removing the cap, epoxying the trace/pad back down to the PCB and soldering the cap back ensuring the base is sitting on the PCB getting mechanical support. Barring all that, as I can see not wanting to take a soldering iron to an expensive game, I would use 2 dots of epoxy on each side of the cap securing it to the PCB. I would not get any epoxy on the traces as a future more extensive fix would be getting that cap sitting flush and getting that trace and pad epoxied to the board. The 2 dots of epoxy on each side of the cap should hold it secure and keep that trace and pad from lifting anymore. I would stay away from CA based glues with plastic since it can craze it and leave that nasty white haze.
    • dewmansnk wrote:

That cap not being flush to the board seems like the main concern as you're not getting support. I believe a complete repair would involve removing the cap, epoxying the trace/pad back down to the PCB and soldering the cap back ensuring the base is sitting on the PCB getting mechanical support. Barring all that, as I can see not wanting to take a soldering iron to an expensive game, I would use 2 dots of epoxy on each side of the cap securing it to the PCB. I would not get any epoxy on the traces as a future more extensive fix would be getting that cap sitting flush and getting that trace and pad epoxied to the board. The 2 dots of epoxy on each side of the cap should hold it secure and keep that trace and pad from lifting anymore. I would stay away from CA based glues with plastic since it can craze it and leave that nasty white haze.
      Do you have any recommended exopy for this? Or is the Loctite 680 Hysol that I mentioned before good enough?