What's new

awbacon1

Champion
Reaction score
First time I've encountered a PCB I can't get to sync, but I know the F3 is notorious.

Standard setup is PCB - Supergun - Framemeister

I've adjusted the sync level, but nothing is pulling up an image.

Tried my two PVM's...board is working fine (audio, controls) but bad sync.

I've read it works on the Framemeister, but of course nobody has ever left the individual settings they used to sync it up

Anyone have success with the F3 and the Framemeister?

Oh and its SCART to RGB into Framemeister.

For PVM it was SCART to BNC RGB +Ext Sync

F3 shouldn't cause any issue on a PVM. I even run it on a TV with a supergun without any issue.

Maybe your board is faulty.

I saw it working before purchasing, in person, so I am really believing it to be sync related and not the board itself

I have a similar issue where the sync pulses confuse my Framemeister, so I bought an OSSC and the problem persists. Basically, for me, component doesn't sync at all. I looked using an oscilloscope, and the sync pulses look nonstandard (compared to Wii component, and documentation in the book Video Demystified).

Weirdly enough, S-video and composite, while still not quite to spec, seems to sync for me with or without a sync cleaner. Older Taito boards like Bubble Bobble don't work at all without a sync cleaner for me. I have it scheduled to do more detailed analysis in the future, but right now I am pretty busy. :(

Not sure if any of that helps you, but just wanted to share my struggles as well. Try S-video or composite to see if you similarly have component issues.

To be clear, I mean that the PCB goes to SuperGun, and in the SuperGun should be componentry to producting the Component output. With some Encoders, they support other output types (S-video, Composite). I mean from the RGB Encoder, if it supports another output, try that. Because my encoder completely fails cleaning up the component sync pulses, even with a sync cleaner.

I saw it working before purchasing, in person, so I am really believing it to be sync related and not the board itself
How long ago was it? Parts can die on the shelf too.

I also bought a lot of boards from reputable sellers or even friends and on arrival they had developed a problem. It's not the sellers fault.
Weird enough I think air mail kills some chips (difference of pressure ? cold temperature ?).

Unfortunately my supergun is SCART out. I tried a SCART to S-Video adapter...no success

Hit the service menu on my PVM and ALMOST got it to sync, but no matter what I do with the hold levels it won't sync

Yeah, converting the already bad component signal to composite or S-video never worked for me. All that worked was the actual signal from the encoder chip for S-video or composite (not component, as mentioned).

I wonder if whether or not it work depends which RGB Encoder their SuperGun uses. I, similar to you, have multiple F3 mother PCBs which I am certain all work, and I've never got one of them to work with the component output produced by my SuperGun. Framemeister or OSSC.

When I have time to analyze this further I will definitely report. Sorry I cannot help further. :(

No worries, appreciate the help all the same. I know its 100% working (it didnt break in the ten minute drive home lol) so if it just won't work I'll probably bail on it just to get my money back and let someone else enjoy it vs letting it sit in my closet as a project pcb

Back