What's new
well, that was interesting. I did some additional tests and the sound bug is back. I can reproduce it when I play one credit and let the timer run out. When I start a new game after that, the sound bug is there from the start.

did some more testing. Mame behaves exactly the same. Corrupted sound when you start the second game.
As an additional test I put all the eproms on a rom board. There I had no sound issues when running the game.

Interesting, so what does the rom board do differently?

When I start a new game after that, the sound bug is there from the start.
Confirmed here!
Finally got a working one to test this convert, the usual story (not enough roms to finish the job) but good enough for audio test.
This is not a PLD issue, more like some missing line(s) on the soundcpu side.
Tested with the RAS line mod i posted, it changes the behavior but does not fix the problem.

FWIW this is one of the most complex sound hardware on any pcb. The other board here with no sound still unknown why.

In this video the credit noise actually works but normally it won't after game over, speeches are missing and it eventually crashes out.

A shame but I am glad it's not just me, do you think it effects all games or just rayforce?

A shame but I am glad it's not just me, do you think it effects all games or just rayforce?
Yeah i'm sure the standard older games will work:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Taito-Top-Ranking-Stars-Original-Jamma-Pcb-Arcade-Coinop-Boxe-/324032222664

Top ranking stars was a factory conversion from this football board, it's cheap enough not to bother.
That's like riding fight, arabian magic, top rank stars etc also on single layer.
Not the best games but worth a shot.
The newer games clearly boot (with modded pal's) but i'm sure they will have sound glitches due to the board layout.

Some bad news though.... when you run anything other than cupfinal on the cupfinal board.... cupfinal roms won't run again due to security bits wiped!!

Some bad news though.... when you run anything other than cupfinal on the cupfinal board.... cupfinal roms won't run again due to security bits wiped!!
24x90l.jpg
Truly tragic

"Some bad news though.... when you run anything other than cupfinal on the cupfinal board.... cupfinal roms won't run again due to security bits wiped!!"

this happens because the pcb does not initialize the eeprom.
if you flash it externally, cupfinal will work again :)

I'm having the same problem with it, i converted one to Gekirindan and the sound dies after 3-4 minutes in-game, complitely random, sometimes sooner and sometimes later in the second stage.
The second one, Elevator Action Returns, did not have sound at all after the conversion and it was working fine with cupfinals.

Found this vid from 2 years ago:

So grid seeker works, but needs canned eprom data and 1 mask rom fixing.
Looks like he's done something on the PLD's also.
I'm having the same problem with it, i converted one to Gekirindan and the sound dies after 3-4 minutes in-game, complitely random, sometimes sooner and sometimes later in the second stage.
The second one, Elevator Action Returns, did not have sound at all after the conversion and it was working fine with cupfinals.
Is this with the handcrafted PAL that apparently works for @mypinball?

Is this with the handcrafted PAL that apparently works for @mypinball?
Yeah, apparently. He didn't even reply once after my payment, or gently answering some questions. It's fine, the answer should probably be "Mine works perfectly, its your fault" so i give the answer by myself. Thats how usually these things goes, it's never the producer fault.

This one seems to work fine
Needs tile rom and sound rom rework after this seems perfect!

Basically in mame you are looking for SOUND: // V1
Anything with sound //V2 will have issues it needs the D53 upper pal.

Ok so whilst looking at the sound section on this (dead sound) cup final, i came across this massive amount of information regarding the 5510 / ensoniq keyboard the sound section is ripped from.
It's 100's of pages and page 1 is an example of the info that follows. It's not all relevant but the schematics, fault finding etc should all transport over :

http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=96381

After reading this, i think the fault on my board is the 68681.

the 68681 fails sometimes on slot machines too.
it runs pretty hot - but make sure it's clock is running first - chips cost a bit more than crystals :)

Hi,

IC28 is labelled as D29-14 which I think originated from Arabian magic. The file is available at jamma-arcade under the hat trick hero'93 title as thats the alternative name for cup finals

You will need a GAl20v8 gal which are hard to get to use the file in its original form though

If you are stuck I can help you and supply a chip/file for use with a modern ATF22V10 gal. There is some conversion needed as the 22v10 ics are larger in size and so you can't just use the original file with the newer ics.

Good morning all,
Just a note, it is not necessary to buy a Gal, it is enough to reprogram the existing Pal by deleting it and writing the new code the PALCE20V8, for my part I use the PLD D66-09 from "Ray Force -Gunlock Rom Board"
Good game

Back