What's new
So that may be another bad news thing. This was the only info I got and when I asked I didn’t get more details. This was what I got...

“COMPLETE MONITOR CHASSIS BOARD-REPAIR & CLEANING** NEW CAP KIT REPAIR** NECK CARD REPAIRS**“

This was the only info I got and when I asked I didn’t get more details.
I hate Sharp for this so much.

Last time I called I got "Well you can see what we replaced." No, no I can't. You don't mark anything, you don't give me any info about what you did, and the chassis has been worked on several times in the past 20 years, so there's a lot of non-factory solder joints...

I miss really respectable repair companies that would write down what they did, and hand you back the parts they removed.

I don’t have enough experience to really compare with other repair shops, but I totally agree I wish they provided the details of the repairs. My only guess is people like to keep their knowledge secret. But that is funny cause we are talking about CRT repairs which aren’t increasing and we need the knowledge shared to help preserve these gems!

I am going to push a little more for the details, but don’t have high hopes.

I am going to push a little more for the details, but don’t have high hopes.
I wish you luck. Last time I called I just kept getting "Replaced a ton of parts, a ton of parts, you can see on the board." and got rushed off the phone.

Thanks I will let you know if I get more details.

In some cases I think they just swap a ton of common parts vs. the time to diagnose on troubled chassis like the 2931s. So hell they may not exactly know what fixed what!

In some cases I think they just swap a ton of common parts vs. the time to diagnose on troubled chassis like the 2931s. So hell they may not exactly know what fixed what!
Pretty much this I think. At the end of the day they fixed your chassis so I'd personally call that a win. Glad to hear you are back in order!

Pretty much this I think. At the end of the day they fixed your chassis so I'd personally call that a win. Glad to hear you are back in order!
Yeah for sure I am super happy to be back up and running! I just don't have any info to share with the likes of @rewrite who has spent a ton of time working to fix some MS-2930/1s. So I just wish I had more info/knowledge to share.

Probably rude but my question is how much did it cost including shipping to solve the debacle?

Probably rude but my question is how much did it cost including shipping to solve the debacle?
All good. Recap, clean, and repairs = $195 + $28 shipping. I don't have comparisons on pricing, but getting the chassis back up and running cleanly for years to come, I feel it was reasonable. Visually the work looks very clean and well done.

My buddy sent Sharper Image a 2930. They couldn't fix it and sent it back. It's with PNL now.

Personally, I haven't sent off a chassis for repair in a long time. Been getting better at fixing them. But here is a tip if you guys ever send out your chassis for repair: buy a grease pen from Staples (the kind taggers use) and mark every single component before sending it out so you know which ones were replaced. Also, flip the chassis over and see if they left flux residue on the components underneath the chassis.

Great suggestions @acblunden2! Definitely took pics but the grease pen tagging would make things easier to find/see replaced parts.

My board was clean on the flux side, so that didn't help too much to determine what was swapped, but I am happy they cleaned up after themselves :)

Also, another thing you can request is for a repair person to put all parts removed in a bag and have them sent back to you.

Back