What's new

Spicules

Student
Reaction score
I purchased a dedicated namco tekken 5 machine locally that was unknown if working.

When powered up, the ATX-style power supply shot out sparks, so we swapped that first.

I adjusted the PSU to make sure it was putting out at least 5v proper when hooked up the the game PCB, as I was thinking maybe we might have voltage issues.

Now, the unit powers on and it reads "Start Program"

It used to just hang there - and the DVD looked like it kept reading.

So then I bought another DVD-rom reader off ebay, using a model number previously reported on this forum to work with namco 256 (IBM GSA-4082B) , thinking that might help.

It now will read the dvd, and then "start program" comes up, "..." appears on the left side like it was loading or something, and then it goes black - I am expecting it to reset and have loaded, but then it just stays there - black.

Not sure if maybe I've got a bad 256 setup - maybe it was damaged by power surge etc. - or what.

Dongle seems okay - I have removed it or put in the second slot and it tells me that no dongle is found - when plugged in properly it does the above, so I'm guessing there's no problem there.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Have you clean the.memory card dongle? Sometimes the pins is dirty , and check your dvd disc and clean it, check the motherboard for the jumper set to 256 mode , lastly check the dvdrom drive if its on the Jumper pin to Master slot

Have you checked the DVD disc itself to make sure it isn't bad? To check a 246 or 256 disc I usually put it in a computer to see if I can make an image of the disc, if not the disc may be bad, if so you could try burning a copy of the disc and see if the system boots.

Yeah, that dvd drive does not work for tekken 5 or tekken 4 at all, I bought an old stock one with the date of 02-2004. It didn’t work but it worked well for soul calibur 2. It’s a strange dvd drive.

Wanted to update this for the sake of others with this problem - it ended up being the drive I got was either defective or not compatible. I tried my friend's 256 dvd drive and it booked up. So I just bought the same model he had off ebay and it worked after that.

Wanted to update this for the sake of others with this problem - it ended up being the drive I got was either defective or not compatible. I tried my friend's 256 dvd drive and it booked up. So I just bought the same model he had off ebay and it worked after that.
When in doubt, replace the drive :p

Back