What's new

ThePhantomnaut

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey I recently got a CPS3 board but after some install and play tests, it just seemed to stop functioning.

When booting up the system using a Superbios cart, I get a blank screen. The previous installs were with legit New Generation and 2nd Impact carts. I went back to trying to install those carts. Unfortunately, I got a mostly static garbage screen upon bootup, It even happens when there is no cart inserted (probably normal even if it was a working board). No transition to the CPS3 bios loading screen, just the garbage. So the Superbios cart is the only one that doesn't exhibit the screen. I will note that the Superbios cart works just fine on another CPS3 board my friend is borrowing.

I tried looking into the board itself if there were any unusual things but it looked all clear besides one aspect... I even reflowed the card slot's pins to see if there are any changes but to no avail; same results. I do have the Console9 recap kit ready but I don't think it will matter. As teased, the unusual thing is that the board came in shipped with warping which I feel is the possible culprit.

Reason I consider so is that when installing 2nd Impact one time, the process froze for a while which I fixed by putting pressure on the bottom left and upper right corners. Annoyed by the bent board, I tried to straighten out the board with very little changes. Maybe what I have done is what's creating the issues sadly.

Is this something that can be easily fixed? Am I out of luck to the point I should look into another main board? I do have screenshots of the screen, the board itself and even the warping issues.

Attachments

• CPS3Board0.jpg
    CPS3Board0.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 279
  • CPS3Board1.jpg
    CPS3Board1.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 214
  • CPS3Board2.jpg
    CPS3Board2.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 196
  • CPS3Board3.jpg
    CPS3Board3.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 171
  • CPS3Board4.jpg
    CPS3Board4.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 193
  • CPS3Board5.jpg
    CPS3Board5.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 208
  • CPS3Board6.jpg
    CPS3Board6.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Garbage screen. You're not undervolting the board are you? Someone else had the same problem cranked the PSU up a bit and it worked. Make sure you're giving your board 5V. That would be the first thing I would check. Worse case scenario your board is probably dead due to the warp damage. :(

The garbage screen must have multiple colors, if not, maybe there's some problem. Try to reflow the soldering on bios pins and try again. Will be nice if you have other cart to test.

Back