What's new

learningStuff

Student
Reaction score
My Area 51 cab started getting a watchdog error. Sometimes it happens right away and other times I can play it for hours. Any suggestions?

You have the security dongle on the board? If not, you'll have to buy the kit that someone sells.

But there is a better way. If you have a chip programmer, blank ou the EPROM's and burn the patched version of the roms. You won't see that error. Plus you'll upgrade to A51/Maximum Force.

dongle??
i have several area51 boardsets, never noticed any "dongle" on them!
Dongle/Security PIC encircled in purple for your viewing pleasure. If your board just has an empty socket there, you are going to error out.

A51MF.jpg

s security chip is not a dongle, dongles are external devices!

We are trying to help someone, not be pedants. Point is, whatever you want to call that, if it is missing the board errors out.

Interesting, I would imagine it’s there since sometimes it works for hours and other times for minutes.

In this case, if he's able to play for hours before it watchdog's, I am going to assume that he is dealing with a voltage issue on his power supply. If not that, then possibly a Hdd starting to fail, unless he's running a CF kit.

it's not pedantic,
if you call it a security chip then people will look for a chip or empty socket.
if you call it a dongle people will look for something hanging off the board.
descriptions are important!

if the wording is so unimportant then you could have called it a monkey. :D

ahhh wondering what that socket was as no Pic... mines got a Time warner version according to ROM ident and found two of the ROMs with unknown content. so i now made all the ROMs the Time warner version but still nothing ... im getting a single tick from HDD and no outputs and feels like so kind of 1 second boot loop.

Back