What's new

Segasonicfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I design retro PCBs and have been a part of the online retro gaming community for about 19 years now.. You can see my shop here: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro

I've got a few new designs in the works, however, I'm not posting a lot at the moment because I'm finishing some R&D! There's some exciting stuff coming down the line.

However, one board that I can announce now is the new Sync Clean Pro V1.0! This is by far the most advanced mini DIY sync cleaner circuit for arcade PCBs out there.
I had to develop it for my own project, because nothing currently for sale solved the sync timing issues I had (in my case, it was adding an AD724 to a Sega Genesis).

The board is being fabricated right now, and when I have the first ones finished I will post pictures here - hopefully within the next month. I'll update my website and post back here when they are in stock :)

keep on gaming!
-SSF

Last edited:
Hey welcome here dude, got one of your GG custom powerboards in pre-order, can't wait :D

Welcome!

Needs more info on this Sync Clean Pro!!! :)
Its a 3-stage digital filter that will be the best affordable PCB on the market for crappy / weird arcade syncs. Unlike other designs, it doesn't rely on dodgy resistor dividers and passive filters *at all.* So far, I haven't found anything that I can throw at it which won't work!
Hey welcome here dude, got one of your GG custom powerboards in pre-order, can't wait :D
Thanks for the warm welcome! Ah, yes, many people are emailing me about these :) I have the parts here to make, but I couldn't find cost-worthy assembly quotes in the USA. So I have to make them by hand, which makes them expensive :( It will be a bit before I'll have the next batch ready, but I will keep the updates coming in here! If you don't mind paying top-dollar I can get one out soon-ish, but affordable ones could still be a long ways away.

also thinking of doing a poll to get the vote on future designs. Got a lot in the works!

Its a 3-stage digital filter that will be the best affordable PCB on the market for crappy / weird arcade syncs. Unlike other designs, it doesn't rely on dodgy resistor dividers and passive filters *at all.* So far, I haven't found anything that I can throw at it which won't work!
The sign me up for at least 2 units :)

The sign me up for at least 2 units :)
Great! Almost ready...
SSFD_Sync_Clean_Pro_V1.0.jpg

Last edited:
How much do they run? :)
Figuring out cost, depends on volume of pre-orders. Right now, it's $25-$30
Will you sell unassembled kits?
Yes.
Great! Almost ready...
Would be happy to test one of these :)
PM sent!
I'd love to test one too. Started a pretty long thread on here on a similar effort.
Very interesting thread. Please note that this project is slightly different though, it's a Sync Cleaner PCB, not a Sync generator.

I only have three boards made here and two of them have been spoken for. Im going to keep the 3rd for myself for further testing.

It's looking like there's maybe enough interest to start taking pre-orders soon and do a medium batch. Let me know if youre interested. I would need probably 5-10 pre orders to do another batch of parts and PCBs.

I'm testing one of the boards today and will be sending out one of the boards for testing. I'd like to get the results from those before manufacturing another batch (I don't expect any complications at this point).

Thanks for the interest everyone! Please note, that each one of these is designed and hand-built by myself in USA

Looks like this uses the ISL59885? If so, it can be helpful with the Taito F3 when used with the XRGB mini and tri-sync monitors, it's what's been used in the HAS since 2016.

Please note that this project is slightly different though, it's a Sync Cleaner PCB, not a Sync generator.
What is the difference exactly?
  1. Martin Jones's SPG splits H & V sync, changes the pulses lengths, then recombines them H & V sync into a new C-Sync signal. Pretty basic. I trust Sync Cleaner Pro does something similar but may produce sync pulses that are closer to broacast quality (which is something Martin Jones says his SPG doesn't do).
    • You mentioned in your video that you Sync Cleaner Pro produces a 60hz, 5v, TTL sync signal
  2. Additionally, you are eliminating (or greatly reducing) the pulses that spike above and under the sync pulse waveform bounds, eliminating the jitter displayed on screen? As exemplified here?
If both the above, then definitely exciting and is exactly what some of us that have troublesome arcade monitors need.

Last edited:
Please note that this project is slightly different though, it's a Sync Cleaner PCB, not a Sync generator.
What is the difference exactly?
  1. Martin Jones's SPG splits H & V sync, changes the pulses lengths, then recombines them H & V sync into a new C-Sync signal. Pretty basic. I trust Sync Cleaner Pro does something similar but may produce sync pulses that are closer to broacast quality (which is something Martin Jones says his SPG does do).
    • You mentioned in your video that you Sync Cleaner Pro produces a 60hz, 5v, TTL sync signal
  2. Additionally, you are eliminating (or greatly reducing) the pulses that spike above and under the sync pulse waveform bounds, eliminating the jitter displayed on screen? As exemplified here?
If both the above, then definitely exciting and is exactly what some of us that have troublesome arcade monitors need.
Yep, both of the above. You can actually see the way it cleans pulse spikes in real-time, on an oscilloscope, in my video here.

This is awesome. I will need two for my NNC cabinets. It will be possible to produce it with two end to end vga connectors?

Thank you.

Back