What's new
This is awesome. I will need two for my NNC cabinets. It will be possible to produce it with two end to end vga connectors?

Thank you.
Thanks for your interest :) This would require a board redesign and increased cost. However, I could include some wire and 2x VGA plugs for a bit extra if you wanted to wire it up that way.

Last edited:
If you decide to redesign the board, I will happily pay the extra cost for two boards or even three. Otherwise, I will buy the extra wire and 2x VGA plugs. However, a proper board will be the best solution for me. Let me know when you make a decision. Thank you so much.

If you decide to redesign the board, I will happily pay the extra cost for two boards or even three. Otherwise, I will buy the extra wire and 2x VGA plugs. However, a proper board will be the best solution for me. Let me know when you make a decision. Thank you so much.
OK I found some VGA plugs I could source domestically. I could do the redesign for extra, sounds like that's the ideal. Ill PM ya 8)

Hi everyone,

Some updates:

@acblunden2 and @Derick2k each have their own Sync Clean Pro v1.0 to test their PCBs with. I'm looking forward to hearing back their results :)

I looked at the Sync Strike and I can confirm that this board is more advanced.

Im designing 2 versions right now:
1. Deluxe Pro v2.0 version with VGA jacks (in/out) and other features TBA

2. Regular Pro v2.0 now supporting HV sync in and HV sync out. Also adding a reverse polarity protection.

I've been spending many hours on the board redesign. Then I'll have to order parts some of which might take a while to get here. Your patience is greatly appreciated. Thank you for the pre-orders! :)

Please note, this PCB is a tiny solid solution to sync PCB cleaning. But it is not meant as a 100% substitute for a $100+ digital box Extron scaler or anything like that. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it outperforms some of those, it doesnt have anywhere near as much tech of course.

-SSFD

Hey everyone,
so I've been pretty busy preparing the updated revision. So far I've been focusing on the deluxe version, but the standard version will be next!

Deluxe Sync Clean Pro V2.0.png

@acblunden2 was nice enough to test some PCBs and report back results with the V1.0 board.

Unfortunately, the pickiness of the Sanwa Tri Sync PFX monitor using a Taito F3 could not be fixed. I imagine this has everything to do with the monitor being tri-sync and being infamous for having synchronization difficulties. I might design a Martin Jones circuit add-on later if there's interest. I created expansion pinouts for that purpose on the deluxe version.

@acblunden2 reports that a lot of other PCBs tested have improved image stability. I am awaiting reports for use with more standard monitors live PVM, Commodore, Wells, Nanao, etc.

Keep in mind, this PCB was developed to improve video game sync output - it was not developed with any particular monitors in mind. Some are extremely fussy and will need OSD adjustments and such. This PCB is not a "be and and end all" of sync cleaning. But it is the most advanced budget mini Sync Cleaner of its kind. It should outperform the Sync Striker and similar PCBs.

More updates soon,
-SSF

I will need the Martin Jones circuit add-on in order to play Taito F3 games.

Definitely interested in MJ SPG-like functionality in in SCP. In speaking with a group of local arcade enthusiasts/experts about my early results, they mentioned SCP enabling the F3 to work with the PFX is a litmus test.

Looks like this uses the ISL59885? If so, it can be helpful with the Taito F3 when used with the XRGB mini and tri-sync monitors, it's what's been used in the HAS since 2016.
Yes. It uses a very similiar setup to HAS, so it should work. Although one person here reports that it doesn't, sadly.
I will need the Martin Jones circuit add-on in order to play Taito F3 games.
This add-on would be down the road (and might never happen). The expansion option is there and I'd love to do it, but it would take at least 10 - 20 pre-orders to make it worth the time / effort. I have a bunch of other PCB designs to support that are more popular at the moment.
I might design a Martin Jones circuit add-on later if there's interest.
If you do, then could you please look to incorporate the combined HV + Combined Sync input option?
Already done. Will be in V2.0 (and an improvement off that circuit).
Definitely interested in MJ SPG-like functionality in in SCP. In speaking with a group of local arcade enthusiasts/experts about my early results, they mentioned SCP enabling the F3 to work with the PFX is a litmus test.
F3 + PFX is such a specific requirement. While I understand the die-hards want this most, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of PCBs with and game consoles with sync timing issues that the Sync Clean Pro PCB will help solve on a regular (standard res) monitor.

It is surprising that the Sync Clean Pro V1.0 hasn't solved the Taito issue with your PFX setup, since reports are that the HAS does work with it (my design is very similar).
Can others confirm this?

@acblunden2 would you mind reporting back here the results of your tests with other PCBs and monitors? This would be very helpful :)

What would also help is:

1. Having someone else to test the Taito F3 with and without the Sanwa PFX to doublecheck compatibility
2. Having someone with an oscilloscope measure before and after the Sync Clean Pro is used
3. Someone sending me a Taito F3 to do these tests myself (without the Sanwa PFX).

I took a look at the manual for the Sanwa PFX and there are some important notes on page 2:
4. Sync input is positive. Arcade PCBs usually output "negative" (inverted) sync, as does the Sync Clean Pro V1.0
(edit: maybe the manual just means positive voltage? Since it is referencing polarity, although I've never seen or heard of negative polarity sync)
5. It has both 75ohm and TTL sync inputs (TTL uses 8 pin connector). @acblunden2 - are you testing with the 8-pin connector?

Version 2.0 of Sync Clean Pro will have a 75ohm Sync option (customer must request when ordering, inplace of TTL)

Version 2.0 of Sync Clean Pro will have a reverse polarity sync option (via solder jumper).

I'll keep this thread updated as things progress.

Last edited:
I am testing through the high impedence connection on the PFX chassis. I am running JAMMA video right to that connection via wires direct from the PCB.

I don't use a JVS-to-JAMMA adapter (like JAMMAfier) which runs JAMMA video through VGA to the low impedence connection.

I can send you a Taito F3 if need be. I'd need it back however.

Tests with other PCB's are good so far, but none of those other PCB's are known to have sync issues with the PFX. Will test with other monitors once I have my edge card adapter setup.

I am testing through the high impedence connection on the PFX chassis. I am running JAMMA video right to that connection via wires direct from the PCB.

I don't use a JVS-to-JAMMA adapter (like JAMMAfier) which runs JAMMA video through VGA to the low impedence connection.

I can send you a Taito F3 if need be. I'd need it back however.

Tests with other PCB's are good so far, but none of those other PCB's are known to have sync issues with the PFX. Will test with other monitors once I have my edge card adapter setup.
Thanks. Im very interested in results without the PFX. The Sync Clean Pro was designed for more than one monitor, so Im curious to know details from other tests when you have them.

Interesting, I wonder if the low impedance input on PFX is any less fussy...

Thanks for the offer to borrow the Taito board, that's very nice of you. Of course I would send it back to you, but let's wait and see the results of your other tests before we go down that road.

Thanks for your work on this!

It is the same I believe. I remember a post where @radiantsvgun reported even with the JAMMAfier and Tri-sync Helper, he couldn't get the Taito F3 to work with the Sanwa PFX. JAMMAfier of course connects through VGA on the low impedence connection. Let me dig up that post. EDIT: Name for JVS2JAMMA board

FYI, the image with the F3 and PFX directly connected to the high impedence connection produces a scrambled image. I have seen Toaplan boards and the PFX just produce a 'NO SIGNAL' on the high impedence connector. @300wins demonstrated this for me (with Truxton).

Would be great if you did tackle this because the rest of the arcade monitors that have finicky sync tend to be smaller 19" monitors pulled from dedicated 80's cabs. The PFX monitor really is the litmus test for any sync improvements because it came in generic cabs, or was used generically with different cabs.

Can't find my damn edge connector adapter, damnit!

Last edited:
It is the same I believe. I remember a post where @radiantsvgun reported even with the JAMMAfier and Tri-sync Helper, he couldn't get the Taito F3 to work with the Sanwa PFX. JAMMAfier of course connects through VGA on the low impedence connection. Let me dig up that post. EDIT: Name for JVS2JAMMA board
FYI, the image with the F3 and PFX directly connected to the high impedence connection produces a scrambled image. I have seen Toaplan boards and the PFX just produce a 'NO SIGNAL' on the high impedence connector. @300wins demonstrated this for me (with Truxton).

Would be great if you did tackle this because the rest of the arcade monitors that have finicky sync tend to be smaller 19" monitors pulled from dedicated 80's cabs. The PFX monitor really is the litmus test for any sync improvements because it came in generic cabs, or was used generically with different cabs.

Can't find my damn edge connector adapter, damnit!
Certain boards will produce NO SIGNAL weather its through the VGA header or the JAMMA header. Sadly I am not able to do any test currently on my PFX since it's sitting at my work and because of the shelter at home, I cannot go get it. Otherwise, I'd be onboard to help out with testing.

Hi 300wins, glad you're staying safe :)

For those that pre-ordered, a small update: I finished the Deluxe and Standard designs. Incorporated some new changes and improvements and sent them off to be fabricated! Will post back here when they arrive in about 2 weeks!

-Segasonicfan

Update: Boards arrived! Doing assembly and testing now.

Strongly considring the Viletim/Martin Jones circuit as my next design, since I now have a prototyping mill in house to work with and some parts ordered.

More updates and pics later this week!

Sync Boards Built.jpg

Got some PCBs made!
Need to test and Im also going to be trying out some new add-on boards to see if they increase compatibility.
If you want your board ASAP though and don't care about add-onboard options, lmk!

more cool stuff coming soon. :D

Hello,

I'd be interested in the vga version as well, and probably the later expansion if/when it arrives. Thanks.

Hello,

I'd be interested in the vga version as well, and probably the later expansion if/when it arrives. Thanks.
Thanks Ravepants, I'll contact you when I have a couple more people signed up to do another batch.

I want to thank everyone who ordered one already and put money down for the pre-orders. I know it has been a wait. Your support is what drives R&D to make these PCBs a reailty, so thank you for being "first adopters" and giving me the push to move forward, means a lot :)

Last edited:
Back