What's new

ZoomBoy

Student
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping for some guidance on my CPS2 Multi. Purchased off an eBay seller less than a year ago - was working great except some minor graphic glitches from time-to-time, but generally rebooting fixed everything.

Put in storage for a few months, now I cannot get this damn thing to boot no matter what I do.
  • Connected to HAS Supergun
  • Proper voltage being sent
  • Onboard LCD screen working fine (enjoy your game, etc)
  • Same results no matter what game I load
  • First cold boot = Blue screen
  • Reboot = Purple screen
Have tried re-seating the board 200 times. Contacts look clean and none are bent.

eBay seller is radio silent to my pleas for help. So I may be out $1,000+ USD on this one.

Any help very much appreciated! :thumbup:

The Definitive Guide to Fixing Your CPS2 Multi Kit

try the section "I have a solid colour screen (blue, green etc)"

my guess is the key-writing wires are not connected properly, or your sd card is having issues. try another sd card, and/or post some photos of your key-writing wires if you want us to take a look!

Did you short EXC5 yet? Had this happen to me as well after not using it for some time, but this fixed it for me.

Did you short EXC5 yet? Had this happen to me as well after not using it for some time, but this fixed it for me.
Not yet, but good to hear it may be the culprit. Haven't ever opened one of these boards up - but after checking the SD card it will be my next diagnostic step.

definitely open it up and post a picture. It could be as simple as a key writing wire came loose.

Hi all, well after waiting 6 weeks to get the security bit to remove the housing I've opened it up. Checked the SD card first and it reads fine on my PC with all folders in tact (yes its out for this photo). Here's the board. I can't seem to see if any trace wires are disconnected but hoping someone more knowledgeable can spot what's wrong. I haven't played my CPS2 in months now :(

j0wzmCP.jpg

How do your voltages look?
Haha, your guess is as good as mine. Unfortunately not familiar with reading voltages or the tools required :(
BEFORE you go any further, buy yourself a multimeter. I'm sure you can find something locally that will do the job, but if you're looking for a tool to last, this is a relatively cheap multimeter that has great performance (it's $10 or so cheaper from China, but now's not a good time to order from there):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANENG-AN80...ter-AC-DC-Voltage-Meter-meter-US/293319621251

Once you get a meter, you'll be able to measure the voltages to safely play your boards. If you don't do this (or especially if you have never done this), you run a risk that you'll fry your games, or supply too low of a voltage for them to run (some are more sensitive than others).

To measure the voltage, you set the meter, and while the game is turned on, you hold the black probe to ground on the jamma edge, then hold the red probe to the 5v or 12v on the jamma edge (make sure one of your leads is ALWAYS on ground).

You can also measure on chips on the board: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Measuring_Voltages

Check in when you get the multimeter if you're unsure of how to do this.

Haha, your guess is as good as mine. Unfortunately not familiar with reading voltages or the tools required :(
First post you said it was receiving proper voltages.

Like @djsheep said though, buy yourself a multimeter. You really shouldn't have any arcade stuff without one.

And just because your computer reads the SD card fine doesn't mean it's fine. Give that bad boy a format and put the pack on again and see where you're at :)

Your key writing wires are definitely where I'd be focusing.

The A31 pin on CN2 looks bridged to B32

You really need a multimeter to beep out those connections.

First post you said it was receiving proper voltages.
Like @djsheep said though, buy yourself a multimeter. You really shouldn't have any arcade stuff without one.

And just because your computer reads the SD card fine doesn't mean it's fine. Give that bad boy a format and put the pack on again and see where you're at :)
Ah yes, sorry I thought the suggestion was to check voltages on the board. The JAMMA edge voltage is 5v being fed from my HAS supergun, so from that perspective I'm confident its receiving proper voltage. I'll have to format the SD card as a first try. Hopefully its just that.

FWIW, CPS-2 is a power hungry system (M-72 is the hungriest).

If the SD card refresh doesn't work, it's still worthwhile measuring the voltage on an actual chip as you might be experiencing voltage sag by the time it reaches everything.

You should never just be confident that whatever power supply you're using is feeding it the correct voltage levels. For a lot of reasons. One being that any power supply you're using should be adjustable, and you can't know where it's at if you're not measuring it. Some boards need more power than others. Sometimes power supplies simply fail or degrade over time.

Always check on the board.

You will need a multimeter. However there is one built into the HAS

What’s your voltage reading on the HAS when you hook it up?

Hi all, just wanted to post an update and a resolution. After reformatting the SD card with no fix, I had contacted the OG seller on eBay whom suggested I ensure the Darksoft board was seated properly. Lo and behold, pushing it down revealed it was a bit off the CPS board. Everything is working like a charm again!

Back